The Factnet message board is a GREAT resource
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: April 02, 2004 10:50PM

Thanks, Snailster!

Check 'em out.

[www.factnet.org]

Their message board is a lot like ours. You can search it, too.

Both pro and con viewpoints are represented.

Go and look at all the subsections.

There's information about

ISA Experience (I couldnt access that thread, but my computer may be cranky today--you may have better luck)

PSI Seven

Choices Center

Legacy Center

and much, much more.

There are reports about obscure leaders and groups Ive not seen mentioned anywhere else.

Warning: The factnet discussion board moderators are unable to read everything that goes to their board. As a result, some posts that are cruel or gratuitously 'smart ass' occasionally slip through.

I advise reading a variety of threads, seeing what the place is like, and then only post when you arrange to get an anonymous handle.

Options: ReplyQuote
The Factnet message board is a GREAT resource
Posted by: Cosmophilospher ()
Date: April 03, 2004 03:52AM

Factnet is a good resource.
I want to take this opportunity to make an very important point.

Certain parts of factnet contain some pretty tough talk.
That is the nature of free speech.
You will see links right on their pages saying STOP INTERNET CENSORSHIP to [www.eff.org] in defense of free speech.
It seems to me that they will only remove extreme abusive and obscene messages, not just sarcastic or obnoxious ones, etc.

Free speech is horribly messy and upsetting.
We must tolerate free speech, ESPECIALLY when we find it distasteful and even disgusting. Free speech is not polite, or kind, or balanced or reasonable.
I find many people's views personally disgusting, and morally abhorrent.
But they have the right to their own beliefs.

I believe THIS message board should be more open, and less controlled.
I have even received a comment from a moderator, when one of my posts was a bit sarcastic! That was disappointing to me.
I have also had PM's from a few people, telling me to move my messages out of their thread, even though i am making a point that i BELIEVE is relevant! They wanted me out of their thread as i disagreed with them!
That is not healthy thinking.
Us anti-culters have to be able to disagree, and argue with eachother, get emotional, and tolerate very different points of view. That is a healthy midset, in my view.

I think this is a fantastic resource, and i think Rick Ross is a courageous individual, and i know that "cultish groups" would do anything to destroy this message board.
BUT, personally, i think there needs to be more open and ugly disagreement allowed here, and much less moderation. Sure, it will be ugly, and pointless, and frustrating, and miserable at times.
But the price of free speech is very high.

I could be wrong, and please correct me if i am.
But this is not my message board, and this is simply my opinion on this matter.

Coz

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.