My speech on Graduation night!!!
Posted by: positivepressur ()
Date: March 11, 2004 06:34AM

Thanks for the advice on being wary of the Landmark legal staff. I did some research and decided that the best way to counteract Landmark was with the truth and with love.

I did not tell one single lie the entire evening...everything was done from truth and from love. One of the few pure moments like this in my life.

When Natalia and I got to the Forum, I signed up for the 10 free 1 day seminars over a ten week period and even signed up to find out about how to become a volunteer assistant (like they will ever let me come back). They tried to get me to sign up for the advanced course, but I told them I'd wait til afterwards. It's always a possibility Natalia might want to sign up. We saw the leader when we were walking up. I aggressively and joyfully took his hand and shook it...looked him straight in the eyes and told him, "Thank you. You helped me reach some real epiphanies." I introduced Natalia and told him I had "popped" and how precious she is to me. I thought she needed to hear this because I had told her about Landmark for months before my Forum started. He praised me, but I could still tell he wasn't gonna risk letting me on stage.

They had everyone turn off that judgmental voice in their head. He had said that it could be difficult to turn it off. I shouted out "Even more difficult for some of us!!!" Everyone from the Forum roared with laughter because I refused to turn that off throughout the Forum. That clenched it...I was the kid with the blue Mohawk, tattoos, and a motorcycle who gets radically saved. I was his new poster-child. He could get me on stage fast enough.

I want you all to know this is one of the most difficult things I have ever done. I have many of you here that I know in business and that are friends. I don't want to share my true feelings with you. I want you all to know that this is one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do. (pause for effect) I care so much about all of you and, still, this is so difficult to do. I brought the notes to limit how long I speak. You all know I can be a little verbose. (Lots of laughter and clapping!)

It took me an extra day to pop, but I popped. I got it. I kept being told that I would get it…I did! (Loud applause.)

There are techniques available in Landmark that could help everyone in the world identify and rectify pieces of life that are severely out of balance. (Applause) I saw people put the relationships that they desired most, first. I saw people talk to relatives and friends they hadn’t spoken with in years. I saw and experienced the euphoric relief of releasing old grudges that never should have ever even been grudges. I heard people change how they speak about the one’s they cared about. Their language changed from negative expectations to the possibility for stronger relations. How many of your lives were changed by that? (I raised my hand and every Landmark hand went up) Mine too.

I met incredible people, here, who inspired me. I would like to mention each and every one of you, but I won’t because of time. Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing the path to my epiphany. Thank you for helping me to get it. I know that many of you really squirmed in your seats when I got up to speak. (Really loud laughter and clapping…crowd getting worked up) I fought this the whole way. I challenged what he said throughout. I couldn’t release being reasonable. But buddy, I’m gonna be unreasonable tonight!! (Cheering, clapping, and whistles.)

XXXX (insert Forum leader name here)…I have to thank you most of all. (pause) (dead silence) I know that you do this because you want to share the power that Landmark has to offer. I know you don’t do this for the money. (I crossed the stage and shook hands with him and gave him a loving, empathetic look as his eyes welled up with tears. I stood back and clapped for him and everyone else joined in. In the crowd, I noticed a row of girls I had tried to talk some sense into. All of them were crying tears of joy because I had finally gotten it and made amends with my nemesis. I can’t tell you how it hurt to see that.)

Because I came to a wonderful Ah-hah moment in my life that gave me clarity beyond any clarity I have yet experienced, I brought one of the most precious people in my life with me tonight.

Natalia, Please stand up. Natalia is a beautiful person. I mean just look at her. Don’t look at her pretty face, lovely smile, big blue eyes or rockin’ body. Look at her for the truly beautiful creature that she is. She has more compassion and understanding for all people than almost anyone I have ever met. She took us in when we returned from traveling. She and John let us stay with them for over 6 months. I will forever be indebted to you for your love and…your just being. (Natalia sits down…lots of tearful applause… the leader starts to say something and I cut him off and said “I just have a couple more things I have to say”…and he graciously allowed me to continue.)

After my moment of clarity, I knew that if I did not bring her to hear what I had to say tonight, I would tell myself that it’s no big deal; that would be inauthentic. I have been getting her excited about Landmark for months. She has to be here. This may be the most important words she ever hears come out of my mouth AND the most important words I may ever speak.

I want each of you to listen to me. All of the guests that are valued the way that I value Natalia, raise your hands. (lots of hands) You know that if you were brought here, you are loved. I want you to pay special attention to what I am about to say because I say it from the deepest part of me, the place that has only love.

I will take what I learned about myself and other people here and apply it to my life.

(With all surety in my heart and confidence in my voice) I am committing to being as unreasonable as anyone has ever been after completing the forum. I declare myself to be whole, complete and fulfilled. I am significant. I am NOT ruled by looking good or avoiding looking bad. Life is NOT meaningless and empty. I do NOT need anyone to “STAND IN THE GAP FOR ME.” I will NOT let someone convince me I am insignificant, without integrity, and inauthentic in all aspects of my life. There is truth in this universe and I make a stand for truth, a stand for myself, a stand for those I love most, and a stand for those of you who inspire me. I will do everything in my power to let each of you know that you can take what you have learned about yourselves and do incredible things. You are whole, complete, beautiful creatures and life has joy and meaning. I love you all. Get out while you can. Thank you.

(There was a strange smattering of applause, no one knew what to do. You should have see the leader’s face Of course, he didn’t blink on the recovery…He had been writing attributes that people exhibit in the Landmark Forum. He said we ask people to speak openly and get what they need to get out of it. He has something that is great. {he wrote “PASSION” on the board} and then called I was going to be the last speaker, but he went to plan B.)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kittypaw ()
Date: March 11, 2004 11:30PM

AWESOME, dude!!!
You must've blown their minds!

Haven't been to any courses myself, but just from reading other folks' writing here, you were able to overcome intense pressure to go against the grain. Bravo!!!

-valerie

Posted by: Cosmophilospher ()
Date: March 13, 2004 04:58AM

That was just great. Great work, and nice job.
What joy to read someone sharp enough to beat those clowns at their own game.
I hope you post your speech all over the place.
I think the internet, and free information could really damage Landmark.
And in the words of Martha Stewart...That's a good thing...

Coz

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.