The Lucifer Effect
Posted by: SaneAgain ()
Date: July 25, 2007 04:05AM

The psychologist who ran the Stanford prison experiment, Professor Philip Zimbargo, has a new book out, called the Lucifer Effect.

Here are some links:
[www.lucifereffect.com]
[www.zimbardo.com]
[www.democracynow.org]
[www.psychologicalscience.org]

The book analyses how situational power overcomes individual character, based on a detailed review of the Stanford prison experiment as well as more recent phenomena and research such as the Abu Ghraib prison abuses and the mass suicide/execution of 912 People’s Temple cult members.

Some interesting quotes to start with:

From such studies, Zimbardo said, we can learn important principles about how to create obedience. He listed several, including the importance of a legitimate-sounding cover story (e.g., a memory study, or “national security”), a legitimate-seeming authority figure, and rules that are vague enough that they are hard to understand or remember. You also, he said, need a model of compliance that, ironically enough, allows room for dissent (“‘Yes, I can understand. Yeah, cry, go ahead and cry. Just keep pressing the button’”). Showing slides of the mass suicide/execution of 912 People’s Temple cult members in Guyana in 1978, Zimbardo added that it is also important to “make exiting difficult. This is one of the big things all cults do: They literally create a barrier to leaving [by saying] ‘If you exit, you’re going to end up mentally impaired.’ Literally a lot of people in practicing cults are there because they don’t know how to exit.”

[www.psychologicalscience.org]

And..

we consider the conceptual contributions and research findings from many domains that validate the assertion of situational power over individual dispositions. I review classic and some new research on, conformity, obedience to authority, role-playing, dehumanization, deindividuation and moral disengagement. We consider the �evil of inaction� as a new form of evil that supports those who are the perpetrators of evil...

Although most people succumb to the power of situational forces, not all do. How do they resist social influence? What kinds of strategies might help the reader to become inoculated against unwanted attempts to get him or her to conform, comply, obey, and yield? I outline a 10-step generic program to build resistance to mind control strategies and tactics. There is also a unique presentation of a thought experiment to involve people in engaging in progressively greater degrees of altruistic deeds that promote civic virtue.

Options: ReplyQuote
The Lucifer Effect
Posted by: disconnect ()
Date: July 25, 2007 04:56AM

If you enjoy this book, you might find value in [i:62135f264b]The Lucifer Principal[/i:62135f264b] by Howard Bloom. In it, he dissects why what we call "evil" or "ego" is just our natural animal instincts. This also includes details on human social dynamics, and an overview of how groups of humans operate as super-organisms, including the entire human race. It as well gives insight into the nature and formation of cults and other mind-control groups.

What I got from the book mostly is that people aren't evil, we just squabble like animals sometimes.

The Lucifer Effect
Posted by: unresolved ()
Date: July 28, 2007 08:32PM

I think the Lucifer Effect offers a more serious theory than the Lucifer Principle does. Zimbardo's look at the systemic effects on an individual are based on experimental psychology results, whereas Bloom's work was more speculative assessments based on his views of history. And in regards to this particular forum, the Lucifer Effect takes careful look at how a system can provoke people into evil acts, which cuts to the heart of what is wrong with LGATs.

The Lucifer Effect
Date: July 30, 2007 04:37AM

I originally wanted to post the info about The Lucifer Effect under the "Coercive Persuasion" thread because it details the mechanisms of manipulation and that was the topic under coercive persuasion. I decided against posting there because there was too much distraction from disconnnect.

Now the same problem here.

Disconnect, I've looked at several sites on the Lucifer Principal and it is a book that argues in favour of a theory that evil is a natural part of human nature and an effective survival stragegy to build a better-evolved species.

The book also picks out Muslims as being barbaric for having holy wars (maybe he missed the crusades in his extensive analysis of history) and misquotes the Quran in the process.

[www.cafearabica.com]

In addition Howard Bloom's site has a section on how the masses of people create reality and individual perception doesn't exist. You said:

[/quote]In it, he dissects why what we call "evil" or "ego" is just our natural animal instincts.

LGATs similarly claim that we create our own reality and that the ego is evil. The ego is not evil,

The ego mediates between the pleasurable desires of the id and the moral imperatives of the superego. The mature ego embodies the reality principle as it works to protect the individual from the oppression of society and to find a means for healthy self-expression in society.

complex within the psyche which constitutes the center of a person’s field of consciousness and which appears to possess a high degree of continuity and identity.

part of the mental apparatus that is present at the interface of the perceptual and internal demand systems. It controls voluntary thoughts and actions, and, at an unconscious level, defense mechanisms.

In other words, the ego keeps us in touch with reality and our own identity. It is the part of us that the lgats wish to damage, so that we are more suggestible and easy to control and influence.

It may be true that the society as a whole creates society which is part of reality but the terminology "creating reality" is LGAT standard.

The idea that humans are naturally evil leads to another LGAT standard - the need for rituals or processes to cleanse and clear and purify.

As someone recovering from destructive LGAT influence I would rather not read yet another book telling me that reality does not exist, that I am evil and need to be cleared and that my ego is something I should get rid of.

I apologise if you are only being friendly and offering an alternative view but I've had the alternative view drummed into me overtly and covertly for the past few years; I don't come to this board for an lgat life-view and I don't need an lgat-viewpoint for "balance" - I've already been so unbalanced by that view that my see-saw has drilled into earth and I'm trying to dig it out, not roll in the mud.

The Lucifer [i:5d10d4dd14]Effect[/i:5d10d4dd14] offers specific information on how systemic influences and techniques induce people to behave [i:5d10d4dd14]out of character[/i:5d10d4dd14], and it also contains information, based on 30 years of experiment and research, on how to resist mind control. It doesn't seem to have much in common with the Lucifer Principal.

When I have had a chance to buy and read the Lucifer effect I will post an analysis of how my lgat used techniques and control of the environment described by Zimbargo.

One simple interesting concept he lists is deindividuation. In a military or prison environment giving peoples numbers instead of names is one method of deindividuation. In Inquest (lgat) trainees are given numbers, as well as "bad" name-tags eg "slut", "boring", "impotent" etc. I think that is a method of deindividuation and contributes to breaking down the normal sense of empathy that would prevent trainees from attacking each other in the feedback exercises.

Then there is also the "cover story" that we have to insult our fellow trainees to "support" them because they can't learn about themselves and grow if they don't know "the truth". The same cover story is used to justify insults and abuse from the trainers. So the cover-story for lgat abuse is "personal growth by facing yourself".

And the "model of compliance that allows for dissent" is, I think, closely linked to the illusion of choice that is set up from the first "agreement" over ground rules on the first day of basic training, and used throughout other trainings.

That's just for starters. It will be interesting if other people here could analyse and identify techniques used in their lgats based on the techniques and systemic influences The Lucifer Effect describes.

The Lucifer Effect
Posted by: disconnect ()
Date: July 30, 2007 05:07AM

:oops: Feel free to skip this one if it bothers you

My post stemmed from a conversation I had with my history teacher. We were examining the similarities and differences between these two books, and we found quite a number of ways in which they correlate and are useful to be read in tandem. I am not advocating anyone believe in the idea of evil, as it is just basic animal nature, and there's nothing wrong with that in my view. It is important then, for me, to remember these lessons when I come across "evil" :evil: or "bad" things and not react violently or impulsively. Could it be better to approach the problem calmly and reasonably? I like to let reason overcome animal tendencies, and take it from there.

SaneAgain, I think the Lucifer effect is a great book, and I wish you a speedy recovery from your destructive LGAT influences. I'm glad you got out.

The Lucifer Effect
Date: July 30, 2007 05:11PM

Fair enough. Having read and analysed both books, can you maybe explain how they are similar and different in terms of how the behaviour and phenomena they describe explains how people are manipulated during large group awareness training? Or in any other way relate the books to large group awareness training?

The Lucifer Effect
Date: August 11, 2007 06:48AM

Dr. Zimbardo's definition of evil, for "The Lucifer Effect" is:

[i:92a5684574]Evil consists in intentionally behaving in ways that harm, abuse, demean, dehumanize, or destroy innocent others - or using one's authority and systemic power to encourage or permit others to so on your behalf.[/i:92a5684574] In short, it is "knowing better but doing worse".

In terms of lgats, the people at the top know that the training does harm, abuses, demans and dehumanizes. I don't know whether they just don't care about this, or justify it to themselves with an "ends justifies means" argument, but either way, it is evil.

They also encourage and permit others to do the same, for example in feedback arcs and the lifeboat exercise. This is also evil.

And then there are the trainees, most of whom also harm, abuse, demean and dehumanize each other. Its not comfortable to admit, but its true. If all the trainees refused to take part, there would be no feedback arcs and no lifeboat process. Many people have spoken of the narcissism, arrogance and selfishness of lgat graduates; this is a milder form of evil in itself.

This is one of the most difficult things to live with after an lgat, the fact that I participated in most of the processes that caused harm to others and that I did very little to stop what was happening even when I didn't participate. So it seems I am also evil, and that is why I am so interested in this book; to understand how I came to be 'evil' and to behave in ways that I would consider "out of character" (in negative as well as apparently positive ways).

I want to know how that happened, and make damn sure it doesn't happen again. And I want to understand why other people in my group were also 'evil', and how these businesses as a whole manage to thrive and multiply, year in and year out; how does this evil continue?

I'm not sure whether recruiting fits the definition of evil, because most of us who recruited thought at the time that we were actively doing good, so "knowing better but doing worse" doesn't apply. For that side of things I don't consider myself evil, but manipulated into a chain of behaviour that I didn't understand the implications of - something else I want to make damn sure doesn't happen again.

I have not finished reading this book yet, but so far it is proving extremely valuable.

[b:92a5684574]The list of specific techniques for resisting influence is online, over here:[/b:92a5684574]

[www.lucifereffect.com]

This is a comprehensive list of links to various resources, including Cialdini's principles of social influence and Anthony Pratkanis' science of social influence.

The Lucifer Effect
Date: August 11, 2007 07:01AM

From chapter 1 of The Lucifer Effect - some different ways of looking at evil:

[b:3522cd0f86]Essentialist vs Incrementalist[/b:3522cd0f86]

The idea that an unbridgeable chasm separates good people from bad people is a source of comfort for at least two reasons. First, it creates a binary logic, in which Evil is [i:3522cd0f86]essentialized. [/i:3522cd0f86] Most of us perceive Evil as an entity, a quality that is inherent in some people and not in others....

Upholding a Good-Evil dichotomy also takes "good people" off the responsibility hook. They are freed from even considering their possible roles in creating, sustaining, perpetuating or conceding to the conditions that contribute to delinquency, crime, vandalism, bullying, rape, torture, terror, and violence...

An alternative conception treats evil in [i:3522cd0f86]incrementalist [/i:3522cd0f86]terms, as something of which we are all capable, depending on circumstances. People may at any time possess a particular attribute (say intelligence, pride, honesty, or evil) to a greater or lesser degree. Our nature can be changed, whether toward the good or the bad side of human nature. The incrementalist view implies an acquisition of qualities through expererience or concentrated practice, or by means of an external intervention, such as being offered a special opportunity. in short, we can learn to become good or evil regardless of our genetic inheritance, personality or family legacy.

[b:3522cd0f86]Dispositional, Situational, and Systemic[/b:3522cd0f86]

Running parallel to this pairing of essentialist and incremental conceptions is the contrast between [i:3522cd0f86]dispositional[/i:3522cd0f86] and [i:3522cd0f86]situational[/i:3522cd0f86] causes of behaviour. When faced with some unusual behaviour, some unexpected event, some anomaly that doesn't make sense, how do we go about trying to understand it? The traditional approach has been to identify inherent personal qualities that lead to the action: genetic makeup, personality traits, character, free will, and other dispositions. Given violent behaviour, one searches for sadistic personality traits. Given heroic deeds, the search is on for genes that predispose toward altruism...

Modern psychiatry is dispositionally oriented. So are clinical psychology and personality and assessment psychology. Mmost of our institutions are founded on such a perspective, including law, medicine, and religion. Culpability, illness, and sin, they assume, are to be be found within the guilty party, the sick person, and the sinner. They begin their quest for understanding with the "Who questions": Who is responsible? Who caused it? Who gets the blame? and Who gets the credit?

Social psychologists (such as myself) tend to avoid this rush to dispositional judgment when trying to understand the causes of unusual behaviors. They prefer to begin their search for meaning by asking the "What questions": What conditions could be contributing to certain reactions? What circumstances might be involved in generating behavior? What was the situation like from the perspective of the actors? Social psychologists ask: To what extent can an individual's actions be traced to factors outside the actor, to situational variables and environmental processes unique to a given setting?

The dispositional approach is to the situational as a medical model of health is to a public model...

The significance of such anayses extends to all of us who, as intuitive psychologists, go about our daily lives trying to figure out why people do what they do and how they may be changed to do better. But it is the rare person in an individualist culture who is not infected with a dispositional bias, always looking first to motives, traits, genes, and personal pathologies. Most of us have a tendency to overestimate the importance of dispositional qualities and to underestimate the importance of situational qualities when trying to understand the causes of other people's behavior...

[b:3522cd0f86]Power Systems Exert Pervasive Top-Down Dominance[/b:3522cd0f86]

...my focus has widened considerably through a fuller appreciation of the ways in which situational conditions are created and shaped by higher-order factors - [i:3522cd0f86]systems [/i:3522cd0f86]of power. Systems, not just dispositions and situations, must be taken into account in order to understand complex behaviour patterns.

Aberrant, illegal or immoral behaviour by individuals in service professions, such as policemen, corrections officers and soldiers, is typically labelled the misdeeds of "a few bad apples". They implication is that they are a rare exception and must be set on one side of the impermeable line between good and evil, with the majority of good apples set on the other side. But who is making the distinction? Usually it is the guardians of the system, who want to isolate the problem in order to deflect attention and blame away from those at the top who may be responsible for creating untenable working conditions or for a lack of oversight or supervision. Again the bad apple - dispositional view ignores the apple barrel and its potentially corrupting situational impact on those within it. A systems analysis focuses on the barrel makers, on those with the power to design the barrel.

The Lucifer Effect
Date: August 13, 2007 12:24AM

From Dr Zimbargo's 20 Hints about resisting unwanted influence:

1. Do not maintain an illusion of “personal invulnerability” – If it can happen to them, then it can happen to you too.

I would add that it if it can happen once (being caught by a cult or lgat) it can happen again. Being caught once doesn't automatically immunize you against future attacks from other sources.

2. Be modest in self-estimates – it is better to perceive yourself as vulnerable and take necessary precautions than to go “where angels fear to tread.”

One of the slogans for recruiting people into the Inquest course was "Inquest is not for the faint-hearted" and another was "Take a Risk" - I responded to that by ignoring my fear and doubts and trying to prove I was brave. It would've been far wiser to admit I was scared, have a good look at [i:c7dc029f84]why[/i:c7dc029f84] I was scared, and respect my own feelings.

3. Engage in life as fully as possible, yet be mindful and aware, attuned to the moment, and prepared to disengage and think critically when necessary – people are generally good and trustworthy, but others make their careers as “influence professionals” who try to get you to do what they want.

LGATs push people to live COMPLETELY in the present moment and accuse people of "living in the past" if they try to relate the past to the present. It is sometimes nice to live in the present moment, but the past and future are necessary to give the present moment context. It is far easier to manipulate people if they are stuck in the present moment because then they can't use lessons from the past or take future consequences into account.

LGATs also encourage people to "trust the process" when it would be wiser to take a step back and critically analyse the process, at least before and after the process, if not also during it.

These three hints alone would've been enough to keep me out of an LGAT!!!

The other 17 are here:

[www.lucifereffect.com]

[/quote]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.