Free advertising for LE in local paper :(
Posted by: Hope ()
Date: May 11, 2006 10:37PM

Compassion's underpinnings www.northjersey.com 5/11/06
By Elaine D’Aurizio

It's not the first thing that comes to mind when you think of what the homeless need.
New underwear wasn't what Laura Rogers thought of, either. But on a tour of Eva's Village in Paterson she asked how she could help. Getting new undergarments for men, women and children was one of the things, she was told.
"I thought about the vulnerability of it. I thought about it as a woman," said Rogers. "It's something we take for granted but it's unavailable to some. New and clean undergarments are about personal dignity. It's about knowing that, under it all, there is comfort, security and confidence."
So Rogers, an interior designer for the upscale and renowned Greenbaum Interiors in Paterson, got busy collecting new undergarments -- and organizing an event called "Under It All" on Friday at Lillie K., a boutique in Ridgewood. Those interested in helping can bring donations and new underwear for the homeless and drug-addicted at Eva's Village who are trying to make a new start….
"Rarely do we get new underwear," said Barbara Niziol, development officer at Eva's Village, who took Rogers on the tour.
It may seem like two worlds from the window of Rogers' office at Greenbaum Interiors to Eva's Village a few blocks away. But to Rogers, they are one community.
Rogers, 33, raised by a compassionate mother who was a pediatric nurse, remembers always being aware and open to people from all backgrounds and economic means.
:twisted: [b:eeaca980b8]It is no surprise that she belongs to Landmark Education in Manhattan, a company that provides leadership training. Part of the curriculum called for a community project and Rogers immediately thought of Eva's Village, where she had wanted to volunteer. [/b:eeaca980b8]When Niziol mentioned that clients needed even such basics as underwear, Rogers "thought it was a good idea, one that people would find interesting."
Undergarments might be little things. But they make a big difference. And Rogers wanted to make a difference.
"If I'm homeless, what a difference it makes," Rogers said. "Who wants to wear someone else's old, used undergarments when you're talking about getting off of crack?"
"It's absolutely incredible that Laura is doing this ... getting friends together, seeking the help of companies," said Rajkumar Kumar. "It is so needed ... there should be more Lauras." One company donated 30 pieces of underwear.
Getting people together to help is exactly what Rogers hoped to do.
"I wanted this to be a success and to raise an awareness in others that they can make a difference in other lives," she said. "But it isn't my project anymore. I couldn't do it on my own. Rogers said when she goes into Paterson now it is with increased awareness.
"There's more compassion," she said. "It's not easy to ask for help. But if we can do it in a way that provides people with self-esteem and confidence that they aren't less than others, that help has more power."
E-mail: daurizio@northjersey.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: glam ()
Date: May 12, 2006 08:01AM

Yep...Landmark obviously submits press releases about their "graduates" pretty regularly...I see them pop up fairly often. Disgusting.

Posted by: Hope ()
Date: May 12, 2006 08:28PM

I don't think it was PR from LEC, but a real good spin by the woman doing the charity work. I bet she believes it was Landmark and only Landmark that was the impetus for her brilliant idea - that no other organization, like a church, school or the Girl Scouts would have thought that homeless people need underwear.

The reporter apparently bought it hook, line and sinker to include the statement she made about Landmark, or maybe she's Landmarkian, too. Either way, the newspaper should not be giving free advertising for Landmark in this way. It is a real hook. Hopefully people who want to know about Landmark "Leadership training" will find this forum when they investigate.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.