Public Television and Gurus
Posted by: Hope ()
Date: March 12, 2006 09:43PM

This week's line up in the New York City area is Robert Kiyosaki AND Wayne Dyer. I haven't seen Carolyn Myss recently. Perhaps they should be PGS (pseudo-guru station) instread of PBS?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bonnie ()
Date: March 13, 2006 02:02AM

Nobody knows how to run a fund drive like a guru. :)

Posted by: Gulab Jamon ()
Date: March 14, 2006 02:31AM

Hope
I haven't seen Carolyn Myss recently.

Caroline Myss is a guru? Since when? I have one of her books and it doens't seem guru-like at all. In fact, she complains about people expecting her to do all the work and says that she teaches people to do their own healing.

Posted by: lightwolf ()
Date: March 14, 2006 03:25AM

Hope
This week's line up in the New York City area is Robert Kiyosaki AND Wayne Dyer. I haven't seen Carolyn Myss recently. Perhaps they should be PGS (pseudo-guru station) instread of PBS?
Same line-up here -- probably nationwide. Over a period of two weeks I think Dyer is on eight times here! Clearly PBS brings these people in during pledge time because they know people watch them and therefore PBS will have a larger audience from which to draw pledges. What's sad is the statement it makes: people actually want this stuff. If it didn't draw, PBS wouldn't have it on.

Among other things, I'm "inspired" to make sure PBS won't ever get a dime of my money as long as they have clowns like them on.

-lightwolf

Date: March 14, 2006 11:18PM

In my opinion, I would consider Carolyn Myss a guru in that she professes to have knowledge about healing (and other matters) that she gained "psychically" and the rest of us are not privy to, and therefore her worldview must be accepted on faith, rather than on scientific fact. I believe it would be difficult for the average person to evaluate her claims critically. She has gained a reputation as a "medical psychic" and, even though she may claim to only teach people how to heal themselves, she is still coming across as an authority figure in the area of psychic healing, which would lead some people to view her as a "guru."

I actually had an interest in Carolyn Myss for a while, and actually purchased one of her books. In my opinion, it was a mish mash of new age ideas on healing and not particularly coherent or organized. I did not find it at all helpful for the stated purpose of self-healing and, in fact, felt that it came dangerously close to blaming people for their illness. In fact, the title of one of her books, "Why People Don't Heal, And How They Can" implies, to me, that if you read her book you will will be able to heal, and if you don't, then you don't really want to. I am sure it probably never says this straight out in the book (which by the way I never read), but for me, the title alone says it all.

I don't believe you have to profess to be a guru in order for people to see you as one.

QE

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.