Monologic vs. Dialogic 'Conversations'
Posted by: bakkagirl ()
Date: July 04, 2018 12:59PM

It occurred to me that while the executive coaching enterprise places much focus on improving the coachee's ability to effectively communicate -- to talk, and to listen, the field, itself, is completely 'monologic'.

Technologies come down from on-high, are rarely explained, discussed, questioned -- really never. Coaches tasked with delivering these interventions are virtually never surveyed. Failed assignments, failed large-scale projects are laid at the feet of the coach, and never at the haloe'd feet of the technology or project designers. There are no debriefs, there is no learning.

Given the influence est, Landmark, and Erhard's 'transformational technologies' have had on the coaching field, we seem to now have a professional culture that resembles a Landmark structure. The guru/facilitators dispense wisdom, sacred science from the front of the room, or places like N.Y.C., and the people in the room, now a global community, passively take these on-board.

Virtually everything is opposite of the 'values' disseminated by leaders.

Diversity (of thought) -- there isn't any
Inclusion (of many voices) -- they aren't included
Authenticity -- what can I say
Integrity -- situational
Trust -- very low

If you say anything about the above, it is your PROBLEM.

I would call it a totalitarian culture, masked by a lot of jargon.

Are the leaders of this trance coaching cult witting, or unwitting?

I can report having seen quite a few 'duper's smirks' at coaching conferences, so, I am going to say 'witting', for the most part.

Implications:

Erhardian 'trance technologies' are being utilized in work with very senior corporate leaders, and the leaders of NGO's, NPO's.

'Coaching culture' is being driven into the DNA of organizations, globally -- and absent much/any research as to benefits vs. risks.

'Feedback culture' is being driven into the DNA of organizations -- sounds good, right? Imagine you are a senior leader grappling with myriad challenges you cannot disclose in depth to your org (I saw this during Lehman Shock). You make a decision, which you will have to live by, its on your head, and, instantly receive a flood of feedback from your managers, and, possibly the entire organization -- you were 'rated' via cell phone. Would a leader tend to become more honest in his/her communication, or less? I think he/she would become Joseph Stalin, or possibly, Werner Erhard.

bakkagirl

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Monologic vs. Dialogic 'Conversations'
Posted by: kdag ()
Date: July 16, 2018 06:12PM

"I can report having seen quite a few 'duper's smirks' at coaching conferences, so, I am going to say 'witting', for the most part."

Yes, that would be my guess, as well. I can't count the times I saw the "duper"s smirk" at Landmark.

"'Feedback culture' is being driven into the DNA of organizations -"

Yes, and they have their own double-edged sword there, in that they can use both sides of it. On the one hand, if you are not falling in line, they can make sure that you have tons of negative feedback. Also, if anyone gives negative feedback, they can listen for what it is that really bothers the person giving the feedback, and then use that information to mentally torment that person.

Date: July 16, 2018 09:55PM

I have to confess that it has never occurred to me to use a 'technology' to influence or coerce other people.

Tend to think that at least some of the people who are attracted to Landmark, and its "coaching cult" progeny, find the manipulation of other people appealing. They seek this power.

I am bombarded, daily, with messages from 'coaches' selling 'success' based on manipulation tools. This is the legacy of Lankmark, et al.

An organization by con artists and for con artists...how it looks to me.

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: July 16, 2018 09:58PM

Bakkagirl mentioned something called duper's delight.

Is this it?

Duping delight

[www.google.com]

Duper's smirk

[www.google.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2018 09:58PM by corboy.

Date: July 17, 2018 04:10AM

Yes, and thanks for the correction.

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: July 17, 2018 04:19AM

This is chilling. and I don't mean it in the sense of relaxing. Sad truth is that internet and social media have empowered manipulative operators...to a staggering degree.

Date: July 17, 2018 11:38AM

Yes, indeed, corboy.

The same people who are attracted to manipulation technologies are attracted to mass marketing these. Sucker born every minute.

On another front, I met with a Senior HR director this AM. We agreed that the ICF had pretty much destroyed coaching in the market (the world's third largest economy); just incinerated it.

Almost impossible to undo what they have done.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.