Question for Landmark Education Survivors
Posted by: bakkagirl ()
Date: July 03, 2018 03:04PM

Dear L.E.S's,

I am currently background checking individuals involved in the coaching field, and particularly those who have been previously inducted into est, Landmark (all iterations) or the W.E. 'consulting firm' Vanto.

While not universal, I am finding a consistent pattern of misrepresentation of credentials, which may take the form of:

1) academic credentials (either completely false, or stated in a deceptive manner)

e.g. "X obtained three advanced degrees at Harvard", with no description of what those degrees are, or when they were obtained.

2) misrepresentation of work and/or leadership experience

"X has a background in 'Finance'" -- this statement suggests to most readers that the party has significant training in this field, and has held senior leadership positions. Acting as Werner Erhard's does not constitute a "background in 'Finance'"

"X served as CEO of Y for ten years, before founding Z" -- this statement suggests deep experience in senior leadership roles. Managing a training division of est, or a bogus Erhard company is not a CEO role. And, none of this would qualify one to represent a "background in 'Management'.

3) academic background not commensurate with employment or leadership activity, and, particularly thought leadership activity, e.g. the production of 'proven' coaching frameworks.

Here I would summon the bios of the author's of a popular coaching manual, a 'bible' for many in the field.

Author 1: CPA
Author 2: Actor
Author 3: Actor
Author 4: B.A., Journalism, no stated work or leadership history

Coaching draws from many fields: Psychology and, more specifically, Behavioral Science, ie. Organisational Behavior -- See Robert Sutton; Neuroscience (an evolving focus), Management Science/Leadership Studies; Organization Development, and, I would even allow HR Management (work design, HR systems design)

CPA's, actors, and aspiring journo's are not the sort of people who, in the REAL WORLD, design human development frameworks, or leadership development frameworks.

4) gaps in employment history, or vague descriptions thereof.

See work done in this forum regarding 'Celebrity Coach' David Allen, and his "Getting Things Done".

GTD is a sophisticated framework that seems to have evolved in the course of Mr. Allen's history "in training", training what? training who?, training where?

///

If any of you have encountered similar misrepresentations, could you please share them, here, or send me a PM.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question for Landmark Education Survivors
Posted by: bakkagirl ()
Date: July 03, 2018 06:11PM

"X has a background in 'Finance'" -- this statement suggests to most readers that the party has significant training in this field, and has held senior leadership positions. Acting as Werner Erhard's does not constitute a "background in 'Finance'"

should read,

"Acting as Werner Erhard's accountant does not constitute a "background in 'Finance'"

///

I live in a non-English speaking environment, and have lost a lot of my capability.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.