Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: anyone have experience with Non-Violent communication (nvc)?
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: August 21, 2018 02:01AM

Isn't it suffient homage to ol Marshall to be teaching and using NVC? Why must the puerile puppetry be retained, along with the jackal and giraffe?

IMO, it is a fair guess that lots of adults besides Corboy would feel that the Rosenbergian puppetry is condescending and belittling to the sensibilities of many exposed to NVC. Voicing this unease and being invalidated by an NVC trainer would, IMO be regarded by many as a social put down.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bakkagirl ()
Date: August 21, 2018 02:12AM

Imagine living in a combat zone and being lectured on nonviolent communication by a Jackal and a Giraffe (TM).

Date: August 21, 2018 03:22AM

In all seriousness, how many would willingly go to an NVC training if told beforehand that the trainer would use cutesy animalspeak?

Howvopen are NVC person to having features of NVC critiqued and changes suggested--such as offering puppet free N VC trainings?

And make it a rule that no NVC trainings should be administered to groups of employees --make NVC classes entirely voluntary, each persons choice, no one there because their manager or abbot or mother superior has imposed NVC training.

Date: August 21, 2018 03:38AM

In truth, I have only known one alleged practitioner of the puppet arts, and he seemed to just use this designation as part of a "sensitive male routine".

Posted by: kdag ()
Date: August 21, 2018 04:53AM

corboy wrote:

"Problem with all this neurology stuff is - it encourages us to regard the human person as a computer to be hacked and reprogrammed.

No respect for privacy. No respect for otherness."

LGATS DO behave this way, and it is a violation against our most fundamental rights.

"Every man has a property in his own person. This nobody has a right to, but himself." - John Locke 

In addition to being a violation of the most basic human rights, manipulating the nervous system of another person should be the domain of neurologists, psychiatrists, and other licensed, qualified professionals who have established a doctor-patient relationship with the client, and who have specific written, informed consent to do so.

Date: August 21, 2018 01:10PM

kdag wrote,

"In addition to being a violation of the most basic human rights, manipulating the nervous system of another person should be the domain of neurologists, psychiatrists, and other licensed, qualified professionals who have established a doctor-patient relationship with the client, and who have specific written, informed consent to do so."

I think this is the crux of the matter, and the task, NOW, is to clearly define interventions such as NVC, as psychotherapeutic in nature. People who practice these interventions, or recommend the practice of these interventions by unqualified practitioners, MUST be held liable for any negative consequences.

bakkagirl

Date: August 21, 2018 03:29PM

Further to this,

Treating others as 'things', or circuits to be programmed has to constitute the ULTIMATE expression of VIOLENCE.

bakkagirl

Date: August 25, 2018 07:01AM

corboy,

I have been thinking more about the sock puppet arts, and the est arts, and also about what YEAR it is, 2018, right?

I find this kinda curious because in my field, things are generally in a constant state of flux, or change, with new approaches coming on-line, almost before we can come up-to-speed on the old ones.

Let's see, Marshall Rosenberg produced his 'technology', circa 1970's, and we can't seem to MOVE FORWARD, dump the puppets, peer review the approach.

So, agree, Marshall Rosenberg has been enshrined, or enshrined himself as a cult leader, and should be regarded as such.

Personally, I think Marshall Erhard needs to be investigated, his background and affiliations need to be looked into, and deeply.

bakkagirl

Posted by: NomeBee ()
Date: January 12, 2023 10:05AM

Here’s an account of my experience with nvc and why I wish I hadn’t got involved. I hope it helps. [medium.com]

Date: January 14, 2023 05:15AM

That is such a well written, valuable article.

Thank you!!!

There's a more subtle danger to this Marshall Rosenberg communications stuff.

It attracts good hearted, trustful persons who are seekers - seekers after a better world, seekers after inner depth, seekers after love -- and routes us
into a social setting that makes background checks unimaginable, discourages probing questions and exerts peer pressure to drop boundaries and overshare --

Additional Risks:

* Lack of confidentiality -- you're oversharing your secrets to match others who are spilling their guts. How can you be sure this info will be used safety?

* Projects like this attract persons seeking healing who lack insight and will without intending to, suck you into their personal chaos or be sweetness and light then suddenly rip your guts out when you say no to them.

* Projects like this attract predators who will exploit what you overshare -- crooks trying to get into your pants, offer you gigs then rip you off, grifters recruiting for dodgy start ups, communes, cults, on the make for a room mate who will put up with their shit, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2023 03:42AM by corboy.

Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.