"The Wave" (a novel)
Posted by: skeptic ()
Date: December 08, 2006 07:17AM

Has anyone heard of it? I just ran across it in a bookstore. It says it's a novelization of a teleplay by Johnny Dawkins based on a short story by Ron Jones. It's perfect for kids. My nephew's getting it for Christmas.

This is the foreward:

"The Wave" is based on a true incident that occurred in a high school history class in Palo Alto, California, in 1969. For three years afterward, according to the teacher, Ron Jones, no one talked about it. "It was," he said,"one of the most frightening events I have ever experienced in the classroom."

"The Wave" disrupted an entire school. The novel dramatizes the incident, showing how the powerful forces of group pressure that have pervaded many historic movements and cults can persuade people to join such movements and give up their individual rights in the process - sometimes causing great harm to others. The full impact on the students of what they lived through and learned is realistically portrayed in the book that follows.

In addition to the novel, "The Wave" has been made into a one-hour television show for ABC by Virginia L. Carter, an executive director at Tandem Productions and T.A.T. Communications Company.

Harriet Harvey Coffin
Project Consultant
T.A.T. Communications Company"

skeptic
"

Options: ReplyQuote
"The Wave" (a novel)
Posted by: ajinajan ()
Date: December 08, 2006 07:21AM

I believe this is what you are referring to:
[www.xenutv.com]

Afterschool Special

The Wave
July 9, 1991
This program was designed to explain to kids how the Nazi party came to power in Germany.

You can go to the above link to watch the program from the XenuTV website. www.xenutv.com has lots more interesting stuff as well ...

"The Wave" (a novel)
Posted by: Maggie ()
Date: December 09, 2006 02:10PM

I had read about the actual experiment.. it happened back in the 80's right? Very interesting.

"The Wave" (a novel)
Posted by: skeptic ()
Date: December 10, 2006 12:13AM

It took place in 1969.

Forgot to mention, the author is Todd Strasser.

I just read it. It's a good heads-up for kids. It talks about blind obedience and groupthink. Mentions cults and sudden personality change.

skeptic

"The Wave" (a novel)
Posted by: ilona ()
Date: December 13, 2006 06:34AM

I read that book in HS and found it VERY interesting.

"The Wave" (a novel)
Posted by: ilona ()
Date: December 13, 2006 06:36AM

And yes, it's based on a true story.

"The Wave" (a novel)
Posted by: ON2 LF ()
Date: December 13, 2006 02:19PM

The experiment conducted by the teacher reflects how a landmark forum leader gains control over the minds of a forum group.
The experiment demonstrated how easily Hitler would have gained control over the minds of his followers and how it has been so easy for rosenberg/erhard to maintain control over so many thousands of people even after he ran behind the scenes to let his underlings run the landmark portion of his business affairs.
Mind control is interesting in that it seems most utilized by those deficient in honesty or integrity, and is most successfully applied where personal inner authority is overcome by relativism and doubting. It seems like a simple 'cause and effect' situation, but why is it so hard to undo the effect?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.