Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Sexual Exploitation
Posted by: Lucretia ()
Date: January 13, 2005 10:34AM

I've not read much on the site about this. In the group I was in the leader did a divide and conquer stlye coersion with the women to create more sexual opportunity for his own personal relationships with them. Many of them being sexual, but there were other agendas too. Anything that was self satisfying. Of course all the women thought they were the only ones at least for the time being. I believe he has this sort of long term plan of a polygamy group and he's slowly, systematically creating more tolerance for his behavior. Any opinions or like experiences from others?

Options: ReplyQuote
Sexual Exploitation
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: January 13, 2005 08:27PM

'creating more tolerance for his behavior' (paraphrase) is termed 'grooming' by police and mental health professionals who study persons who commit boundary violation.

The agent often figures out what type of person he or she is attracted to, often these people are already vulnerable and off-balance. Its not unusual for child molesters to single out children already in trouble at home: kids like this are hungry for affection--and if already stressed out or mistreated at home, will be less likely to have anyone they can trust and speak to if they get scared.

Next, begins a process of winning the targeted person's trust. One way to do this is come up with a persuasive belief system that's designed to excuse immoral behavior, or even re-frame it as evidence that you're elite, in a special group that doesnt need tiresome rules and regulations. Being abused can even be re-framed as evidence that you're special and 'tough enough to take it'. Other perpetrators my tell you that you have a special destiny or you have special talent to become their successor and therefore deserve their attention and need special training.

If someone is persuaded to do somethign that goes against their own morality, they're likely to feel ashamed, later on, making them all the more dependant on the group. And some people may react with confusion, disorientation and stress reactions, and may then be persuaded these are altered states of consciousness, evidence of spiritual breakthrough, rather than evidence of trauma.

For a description (very painful, so be careful) of the use of selective recruitment in a group, Amy Wallace's memoir 'Sorcerer's [i:ec222d2705]Apprentice: My Life with Carlos Castaneda' [/i:ec222d2705]gives lots of examples of how this works.

Sexual Exploitation
Date: January 13, 2005 09:08PM

I've heard of that book , Ill look it up. I have often refered to this as a similar technique to child abuse. What I think is particularly despicable is how what a person is doing aka:alternative healing, awareness and or consciousness training to take care of themselves in reference to their abused childhood/past is exactly the tool used to take advantage of them all over again, hence the appropriate term predator.
Thanks Corboy

Sexual Exploitation
Posted by: Toni ()
Date: January 13, 2005 11:26PM

Hi..

Touchy topic - no pun intended - yes, many groups have their members confess their deepest pains, etc. Then the group turns around and repeats the same childhood manipulation in a covert fashion. Because it is familiar to the person's psyche, they go along with it without even realizing that their confusion is because they are being abused.

And yes, as mentioned elsewhere, oftentimes devout members will use the methods of coercive persuasion on those outside of the group. The member applying such may actually believe they are helping their non-member friend to open to possibilities, face their inner obstacles, whatever. It is crazy making.

The following thread is about the effects of Group Sex. Coercive persuasion used in relation to sex is a form of psychological rape. There is no outward violence, and yes the person consented. However there is not a reciprocity of equals. To face that one was involved in such, from whichever 'side' is painful. Recovery from the shame of what one engaged in, and learning to have true intimacy after that is difficult.

Corboy wrote an excellent 'thesis' on the coercion and also the disorientation that can happen with Group Sex in this context :

[board.culteducation.com]

And the thread on Artificial Intimacy

[board.culteducation.com]

Sexual Exploitation
Date: January 14, 2005 09:35AM

TX for the info, sigh!!!!!!!!!

One of the weirdest parts (can it get any weirder? why yes), is that I've recently been checking out the old SciFi book Stranger in a Strange Land. It's like this guy is trying to be Mike. Or thinks he is and is working on creating this community (cult) to mirror this book. They don't make the perscription drugsyou need for this kind of stuff..PHSYCHO

Sexual Exploitation
Posted by: ULTAWARE ()
Date: January 14, 2005 11:15AM

Lucretia,

You have led me to re-look at "old wound" or rather intuitive sense of what haqppened with my spouse & LEC and IBI...she denied, even to our daughter that she was laying-it-out with others...

After the Advanced course Sunday, she called & said she was staying in the Windy-city as she & other students were going to a bar...tho she asked me to go if I wanted (3 hr drive :roll: ) ended up staying somewhere and after returning late Moday afternnoon "performed" something on me she never had before.... [That was def not easy to tell..tho significant)

I do have another occasion (she was involved with another "group" that is preying on Lekkies (why should I capitalize that? :shock: )

more later

If I can help in any way, PLMK

P.A.X

Sexual Exploitation
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: January 14, 2005 07:44PM

Gary Lachman's book 'Turn Off Your Mind' you'll find lots of information about books and art movements that influenced the leaders and aesthetic taste-makers of the 1960s.

The fascinating thing is how certain science fiction (eg Robert Heinlein) and fantasy writers (Tolkien, Castaneda, HP Lovecraft) inspired various groups and commune movements.

According to Lachman Robert Heinlein's science fiction was one of the few sources of reading material favored by Charles Manson.

And when Timothy Leary started up his commune, Millbrook, he took as his inspiration Hermann Hesse's 'The Glass Bead Game'--a novel.

I cant find it off the top of my head, but someone wrote an essay commenting that really good fantasy or sci-fi books can be read for mood altering effects.

Sexual Exploitation
Date: January 14, 2005 09:38PM

So is this life immitating fiction sort of thing a described tendency of narrcissitic personality disorder? Common sense tells me this has got to be listed as something in the DSM V, (or whatever # its up to now). So depending on what kind of psycho path we are dealing with we can just pick up the popular fiction of the day and find out what the hell it's all about, Ha Ha (sarcasm can be useful). I'll have to expand my reading list. SciFi has never been a favorite of mine.

TX, Corboy

Sexual Exploitation
Posted by: Delphina_9 ()
Date: January 14, 2005 10:23PM

Lucretia, Sci Fi has always been a fave of mine. I have the feeling we may be talking about the same group. SISL by R. Heinlien is exactly the book I think has been used to model what the leader of my ex group is doing. I only wish I had remembered more about this particular book years ago. It's actually the only one of this authors that gave me the creeps back in high school, and I must have done a temporary delete from my mental files.
It is amazing how much damage can be done. Thankyou for bringing the sexual issue to the forum here. That took guts, I admire you for that.

More later, Delphina

Sexual Exploitation
Date: January 14, 2005 10:52PM

Ultaware,
What's a Lekkie?

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.