Here's a new Landmark technique
Posted by: hype2120 ()
Date: July 22, 2005 02:18AM

My Landmark roommate offered me cash to sit in on a Landmark introduction at my own house + $50 for any person I could get to come.

As much as I can use the money -- and I, myself, could probably sit there and keep my mouth shut for the 2+ hours -- but to ask my friends and clients -- and tell them it is a personal development seminar when I know it's Landmark. I can't do that to people!

I don't even know how to explain to her how wrong that feels.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: midonov123 ()
Date: July 22, 2005 03:42AM

hype2120
My Landmark roommate offered me cash to sit in on a Landmark introduction at my own house + $50 for any person I could get to come.

As much as I can use the money -- and I, myself, could probably sit there and keep my mouth shut for the 2+ hours -- but to ask my friends and clients -- and tell them it is a personal development seminar when I know it's Landmark. I can't do that to people!

I don't even know how to explain to her how wrong that feels.

This is incredible! Not only your friend isn't being paid for selling Landmark courses, but now he is going to pay out of his own pocket for selling the courses. Most likely, this is because of the intense psychological pressure being put on him to meet his objectives! People will do anything to feel "authentic" and "empowered", even if these concepts are deceptive and elusive.

If I were you, I would call the Landmark center manager right away to tell him about this and how abusive the pressure being put on your friend is.

MD

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: July 22, 2005 11:09AM

You mention having clients...

if you're a health care professional, a teacher, an attorney or a mental health professional, it may actually be against the codes of ethics that govern your profession to invite clients to get involved with a human potential project or religion- [i:ac7ee22002]even when you're sincerely convinced that you have benefitted.[/i:ac7ee22002]

Depending on the nature of your profession, clients may at times be quite vulnerable in relation to you.

The professional is in a unique and binding position of trust--a fiduciary relationship--to avoid any conflict of interest that could potentially compromise the welfare of your clients.

'The therapists role is that of a fiduciary (Frank and Frank, 1991); R.I. Simon, 1987). The patient's compliance with treatment requires vulnerability and trust. Patients lack the objectivity and the expert knowledge to treat themselves, and must rely on professionals with special training. Peterson (1992) has emphasized that some exploitative therapists atttempt to disavow this responsibility by disclaiming any disparity in the treatment relationships. They employ seudoegalitarianism to exculpate themselves with the excuse that the patient was 'a consenting adult.' from 'Keeping Boundaries: Maintaining Safety and Integrity in the Psychotherapeutic Process by Richard S. Epstein, page 18.

Not all of this is deliberate exploitation.

Some years ago, in some free wheeling sectors of the human potential movement, young therapists were encouraged to practice what Epstein terms 'pseudo-egalitarianism' and treat clients as friends, as fellow adventurers on a spiritual journey, forgetting that the clients were actually quite vulnerable and could not be considered peers.

A young therapist who bought into this ideology would, with the best of intentions, have ignored the existence of the actual power imbalance between client and therapist and would have forgotten that clients were in fact vulnerable and protection.

Ironically these pseudo-egalitarian interpretations of psychotherapy were sometimes taught by flamboyant, charismatic teachers who were powerful but denied their actual power.

Unless this mis-perception was later identified and addressed in the student therapist's training analysis, he or she might embark on private practice without the skills needed to maintain boundaries and would risk entangling clients in dual relationships by inviting them to get involved in belief systems or human potential project shared by the therapist.

Posted by: ULTAWARE ()
Date: July 22, 2005 11:42AM

CB is right-on the ramp with the post.. I had an experience with my ex- & a marriage counselor who instantly had "tranced" her while she was doing selp...when I had gained info & called her on it..she pant-shitted...didn't really make me feel any better at the time but lookin' back I was on it 'cause I remained logical, above all else & also I have always had a "perceptive gift"..

In her 2 "grad" (of what?) nights crap, there was always 1 person (usually college age) asking for $$$$$$$$ to take the next course...

Any one interested in a civil suit action? this is me asking not a R Ross person If yes e-m me off this site

Posted by: hype2120 ()
Date: July 23, 2005 12:57PM

[You mention having clients...

if you're a health care professional, a teacher, an attorney or a mental health professional, it may actually be against the codes of ethics that govern your profession]

while you make a very good point, my clients are -- well let's just say -- my profession does not have a governing body nor code of ethics! and while i swear so much of what i do puts me into a posistion like a therapist -- that is not my job function.

and maybe i made it sound too intense...i never felt any pressure from her. i just found it quite amusing that she was willing to spend her own money on getting bodies into a room -- so that she finally lead introductions at the center. i mean it would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad.[/quote]

Posted by: midonov123 ()
Date: July 23, 2005 10:15PM

hype2120
[You mention having clients...

if you're a health care professional, a teacher, an attorney or a mental health professional, it may actually be against the codes of ethics that govern your profession]

while you make a very good point, my clients are -- well let's just say -- my profession does not have a governing body nor code of ethics! and while i swear so much of what i do puts me into a posistion like a therapist -- that is not my job function.

and maybe i made it sound too intense...i never felt any pressure from her. i just found it quite amusing that she was willing to spend her own money on getting bodies into a room -- so that she finally lead introductions at the center. i mean it would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad.
[/quote]

You can challenge her that she is not "enrolling" people in an "authentic" manner. I doubt her coach would approve her way of "enrolling by paying" to meet her quotas (it's like cheeting!) if there is any consistency in their system of beliefs. So, one way to verify about their credibility is to inform the center manager about this "non-authentic" enrolling technique and see his reaction. If he does something about it (making her feel bad, non-authentic, coaching -i.e. manipulating- her not to do that), it means they are somewhat consistent. If he doesn't care (which is very likely as long as the money gets in), then this is another piece of evidence that this organization is based purely on trickery and deception.
Try this and let us know about the results!

MD

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: July 23, 2005 10:29PM

'mdinov's advice is excellent!

If you are a yoga teacher, hair stylist, physical trainer, interior decorator, real estate agent, or work on people's fingernails, you're in a position of trust.

Anyone in these occupations is a high-value chess piece for someone who is recruiting on behalf of a spiritual or human potential entrepreneur.

Someone who works at a nearby nail salon said,

'These ladies tell me their problems and I hear things they dont tell anyone else. I'm like their therapist.

'People get an hour of privacy when they come here and tell me things they dont tell anyone else. It gets intense.'

People like this lady have large social networks and if recruited, can be coaxed into getting some of their clients involved.

Even if the legal mandate against dual relationships doesnt apply to these professions as it does to mental health professionals, your clients are still putting a unique degree of trust in you--so its important to avoid leading them into any situation if you are concerned they will not benefit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.