Columbia Southern University
Posted by: Lev ()
Date: August 09, 2005 07:06PM

Does anyone have any information on this "university."

Options: ReplyQuote
Columbia Southern University
Posted by: jagmct1 ()
Date: June 16, 2006 01:55AM

You are absolutely incorrect in your assumptions. Without getting into intricate details, the DETC is a national accreditor recognized by the U.S. Dept of Education and CHEA, just like the regional accreditors. I encourage you to visit the DETC website (http://www.detc.org) in furthering your research.

I'm attaching a few questions and answers regarding the transfer of credit debate from the DETC website:

Q. Is DETC accreditation equal to “regional” accreditation?

A. In every measurable way, yes! DETC accreditation is just as valid as any regional accreditation, and the Secretary of Education has officially recognized DETC since 1959 and by the Council for Higher Education and its predecessors since 1975. We meet the precisely same standards as do the regionals, and we would hasten to add we have vastly more experience and tougher, more stringent standards for distance learning than any other agency in the U.S. Distance learning is our only business.

Q. Will the credits I receive from a DETC-accredited institution be accepted by a traditional college or university?

A. Our 2001 survey of DETC graduates showed that of those who attempted (and only 1 of 3 did attempt) to transfer credits and degrees, 2 of 3 were successful. Acceptance of degrees or credits from DETC-accredited institutions is largely determined by the policy of the "receiving organization," e.g., an employer, a college registrar, etc. DETC accreditation is not a guarantee that credit will transfer to any college or university. You should always check with the college or university that you wish to transfer your credits to before you enroll in a course. The American Council on Education reviews courses of DETC-accredited institutions and makes credit recommendations that are published annually in "The National Guide to Educational Credit for Training Programs" or call Oryx Press at 1-800-279-ORYX.

Q. If my credits do not transfer to a regionally accredited college, is my DETC credential useless?

A. No! The sine qua non of an institution’s quality is not if its credits transfer: this is a false premise. The fact that regionally accredited colleges refuse to accept credits from another school because it is not regionally accredited flies directly in the face of national policies advocated by American Council on Education (ACE), the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO), Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA), et al. The real issue here has less to do with the academic quality of the sending institution, and more to do with anti-competitive business practices of the receiving institution. Competition is heating up in higher education, and there are forces at work to control the inroads being made by “upstart” operators. Congress, the Department of Education, and the Department of Justice have been looking into this anti-competitive practice by higher education, and we suspect we will see significant activity in the coming months on this matter.

Q. Do you have a list of colleges or universities who will accept credits or degrees from DETC-accredited institutions?

A. No. There are more than 3,000 colleges and universities in the United States, and the decision to accept credits from DETC-accredited institutions is made by the registrar and/or dean at each college or university. Publishing an accurate and up-to-date list would almost be impossible.

If you want to transfer your DETC degree to a regionally accredited school you can choose from any of the 300+ schools that participate in the CHEA/HETA agreement (http://www.chea.org/heta/default.asp).

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.