Current Page: 28 of 36
Re: Ex members of John MacArthur's church
Posted by: mhbm ()
Date: May 13, 2013 09:11AM

Hi all, I have a question for you. It is difficult for me to tell how much of what is happening with my daughter and son-in-law is from GCC teaching or things they have dreamed up themselves, so I thought I would ask you. They are now choosing to not celebrate holidays. Has anyone seen any of this type of thing with GCC or MacArthur followers? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bjw ()
Date: May 13, 2013 09:32AM

mhbm
Hi all, I have a question for you. It is difficult for me to tell how much of what is happening with my daughter and son-in-law is from GCC teaching or things they have dreamed up themselves, so I thought I would ask you. They are now choosing to not celebrate holidays. Has anyone seen any of this type of thing with GCC or MacArthur followers? Thanks.
It's been since the late 90s that I was in the cult, but there are only some holidays they don't celebrate. Halloween is not celebrated, they usually celebrate "Reformation Day" at this time instead.

When the college would take breaks, for example Spring/Easter break, many students would use this time to go on missions for the church and not go home, thus devoting all their time to the church. So in that respect, many of the college students would not celebrate holidays with their families.

I'm not sure if MacArthur has tightened up his views on holidays since I left. If anyone that has been in recently could elaborate that would be great. I know he never was too crazy about the pagan origins of some holidays, but I'm not sure if he has gone so far to the point of not celebrating them. Anyone know more?

Posted by: gracetowho? ()
Date: May 13, 2013 10:17AM

Hi Mhbm,

Remember Legalism knows no bounds, they are caught
in a never ending "trying to be good and obedient"
(as if God is handing out gold stars or they can get
extra credit.)
it may not be "said" in JM Churches, but "implied" that holidays
are pagan and if you want to be a first class Christian, well
you might get a little more respect, status, etc. for not celebrating
them.

Sorry Mhbm, it may take a while for her to turn around.
Out of curiosity.. is she a bit of a perfectionist?

These people tend to gravitate towards JM.

The definition of a perfectionist is someone who
can't tell the difference between what is important
and what is not.

Blessings in Christ,

gtw?

Date: May 13, 2013 12:55PM

I've never really thought of her as a perfectionist, but he is an extremely cautious, distrustful person.

Posted by: teacher ()
Date: May 13, 2013 04:54PM

bjw
mhbm
It's been since the late 90s that I was in the cult, but there are only some holidays they don't celebrate. Halloween is not celebrated, they usually celebrate "Reformation Day" at this time instead.

When the college would take breaks, for example Spring/Easter break, many students would use this time to go on missions for the church and not go home, thus devoting all their time to the church. So in that respect, many of the college students would not celebrate holidays with their families.

I'm not sure if MacArthur has tightened up his views on holidays since I left. If anyone that has been in recently could elaborate that would be great. I know he never was too crazy about the pagan origins of some holidays, but I'm not sure if he has gone so far to the point of not celebrating them. Anyone know more?

In the church they have taken over in Italy they celebrated Saint Valentine's day: the pastor ordered alll the women to take their men flowers and chocolates!
No comment!

Posted by: bjw ()
Date: May 14, 2013 12:40PM

mhbm
I've never really thought of her as a perfectionist, but he is an extremely cautious, distrustful person.
In enforcing the list, you have to keep "growing," constantly getting better and better, or you aren't saved. Some mentors/counselors enforce the list in different ways.

I have seen some that won't listen to rock music (I was told I was going to hell for this one many times), see R-rated movies, not have more entertainment time than time spent serving the church, etc. Eventually it drives everyone to become a perfectionist, in a depressing lifestyle where you can never do enough and are constantly being admonished for every little thing.

Meanwhile, the cult is led by a millionaire that has built a museum to himself, wrote his own Bible, rewrote the Gospels, came up with his own mental science, and cannot live up to his own list of standards and science.

Do not underestimate this cult, it is very dangerous. There's not a whole lot I can say on here but I would be glad to talk to you via PM. You really need to get your daughter out of this cult. I know it really did a lot of damage to my life and left many emotional scars. I will keep you in my prayers.

Date: May 14, 2013 01:50PM

I think bjws assessment may be more
correct, because, if you didn't go in a perfectionist
you surely become one after the brainwashing.

Or lose your salvation.

It is a very dangerous cult.
John Macarthur, de facto Accuser of the brethren.

How he makes a "ministry" out of
it is beyond my human faculties.

gtw?

Date: May 14, 2013 08:12PM

I would love nothing more than to get her out of this cult. If you have any suggestions, I am all ears.

Date: May 14, 2013 10:57PM

I'm starting a new thread - I will PM the name to you all.

I will post every tag I can think of so it will come up first
on search engines and consolidate all the info we have here
so it is concise and irrefutable.

Please Do Not post on it, but PM me your thoughts
so I can make it concise.

It will be clean / factual / to the point
I will cover works salvation - no-medic
counseling - church abuse / "discipline"
JM infiltrate of churches / how it's done.

Please PM me with your ideas,
we can all stop venting and start
warning people with a blow by blow
exposé - there are a few people that
do it already but they are to long winded,
and usually want a following.

I want people to follow Christ without
fear and without a JM abusive mediator.

There's us one mediator between God
and man- The Man Christ Jesus!

gtw?

Posted by: Lass o' the Glen ()
Date: May 15, 2013 05:36AM

mhbm

That's really interesting that you bring that up. There's a new post and discussion over at The Wartburg Watch about what appears to be anti-Mothers Day sentiments coming from the neo-Calvinist crowd.

[thewartburgwatch.com]

In the years following the MacArthurite takeover of my former church, my husband and I noticed a trend toward downplaying holidays, both Christian and civil ones. The pagan origins of most holidays were emphasized, and the worldliness of holiday traditions and merrymaking was frequently criticized.

Current Page: 28 of 36

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.