Current Page: 2 of 7
City Impact Church, New Zealand
Posted by: kemo1321 ()
Date: December 29, 2006 12:05AM

Hello there, im Kemo,

I would firstly just like to say that i have left City Impact Church, and am living in Brisbane, Australia.

Secondly, City Impact Church is Not a cult, even i can see that after leaving.
Yes they are structured, yes it would seem that they are controled by one mind. But it is the God given mantle that has been placed onto Pastor Peters and Bevs lives.
Much like Moses, he had the God given mantle on his life, to hear from God, and direct the children into the promise land. Then he passed it onto Arron, which is like passing it onto people like Pastor Dean, and Pastor Mark.

Also right now, as they are building a 16 million dollar building, (reduced to 10 million dollars because of cutting labour costs from the vollenters working)
So most of they resources are being poored into that at the moment, but it will be finished all going to plan by March next year. Once it is built they can grow, and go back to their outreaching, not that they are not doing that now.

Also, Wizeone, i do know who you are personally, and as you do like using Letters to represent peoples names, you may remember who "W" is!
I have visited your site a few time this year. A few other people who i think might have browsed your site is C, V, L, among otheres.

Snooping around churches, and popoing it on the net is not what a christian would do. And as you have been hurt from the church, and have taken offence (as many people who dont have the holy spirit running through them do) i cant see why you cannot forgive them or anyone for their offenence.

But as long as you have found a church that you are personally growing your relationship with God in, thats fine by me. As Pastor Peter says on Impact for life when doing his salvation call, he doesnt say you have to join City Impact Church to be a christian. he says join a church like City Impact Church. (in the means of being able to grow your relationship with God in)

God bless

Kemo

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Faithful ()
Date: January 04, 2007 04:37PM

Hi there Wizeone.

I am interested to find out what exactly happened at this church that caused you to leave.

I noticed on another thread that you said

"[i:dbe6a1979c]Let me tell you about spiritual abuse and the effect its had on my life. The most accurate comparison I can find is "spiritual rape". I've been out of that church for about 10 months now, and it still impacts on my life.

Do I put all christians in the same box, heck no. However I deserve to have space where I can heal without someone who knows nothing about my situation preaching at me.

Not that I would wish my journey on anyone, even my worst enemy, however come back when you've developed some more indepth understanding about the profound impact spiritual abuse has on peoples lives.

Especially when its done by people claiming to be christians"[/i:dbe6a1979c]

Don't mean to be nosy, but my sister was hurt by some of her "friends" there and so she refuses to go to that particular church but she did say to me that it wasn't the church itself just a few individuals that made her feel like she couldn't return. And when I say a few individuals I mean 2 people out of the 2500 congregation.

Again, I'm just curious as to what "abuse" you endured that "you wouldn't wish apon your worst enemy"? Was it really that bad?

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: January 04, 2007 10:09PM

Kemo1321 said,

"City Impact Church is Not a cult, even i can see that after leaving. Yes they are structured, yes it would seem that they are controled by one mind. But it is the God given mantle that has been placed onto Pastor Peters and Bevs lives. Much like Moses, he had the God given mantle on his life, to hear from God, and direct the children into the promise land. Then he passed it onto Arron, which is like passing it onto people like Pastor Dean, and Pastor Mark...they are building a 16 million dollar building,"

Sounds like this is an authoritarian group.

See [www.culteducation.com]

[b:c2d5340e0b]Ten warning signs of a potentially unsafe group/leader.[/b:c2d5340e0b]

Absolute authoritarianism without meaningful accountability. That is specifically, no democratically elected government by the general membership through boards and officers as established by bylaws that can discipline and/or dismiss the pastor.

No tolerance for questions or critical inquiry.

No meaningful financial disclosure regarding budget, expenses such as an independently audited financial statement.

Unreasonable fear about the outside world, such as impending catastrophe, evil conspiracies and persecutions.

There is no legitimate reason to leave, former followers are always wrong in leaving, negative or even evil.

Former members often relate the same stories of abuse and reflect a similar pattern of grievances.

There are records, books, news articles, or television programs that document the abuses of the group/leader.

Followers feel they can never be "good enough".

The group/leader is always right.

The group/leader is the exclusive means of knowing "truth" or receiving validation, no other process of discovery is really acceptable or credible.

[b:c2d5340e0b]Ten warning signs regarding people involved in/with a potentially unsafe group/leader[/b:c2d5340e0b].

Extreme obsessiveness regarding the group/leader resulting in the exclusion of almost every practical consideration.

Individual identity, the group, the leader and/or God as distinct and separate categories of existence become increasingly blurred. Instead, in the follower's mind these identities become substantially and increasingly fused--as that person's involvement with the group/leader continues and deepens.

Whenever the group/leader is criticized or questioned it is characterized as "persecution".

Uncharacteristically stilted and seemingly programmed conversation and mannerisms, cloning of the group/leader in personal behavior.

Dependency upon the group/leader for problem solving, solutions, and definitions without meaningful reflective thought. A seeming inability to think independently or analyze situations without group/leader involvement.

Hyperactivity centered on the group/leader agenda, which seems to supercede any personal goals or individual interests.

A dramatic loss of spontaneity and sense of humor.

Increasing isolation from family and old friends unless they demonstrate an interest in the group/leader.

Anything the group/leader does can be justified no matter how harsh or harmful.

Former followers are at best-considered negative or worse evil and under bad influences. They can not be trusted and personal contact is avoided.

[b:c2d5340e0b]Ten signs of a safe group/leader.[/b:c2d5340e0b]

A safe group/leader will answer your questions without becoming judgmental and punitive.

A safe group/leader will disclose information such as finances and often offer an independently audited financial statement regarding budget and expenses. Safe groups and leaders will tell you more than you want to know.

A safe group/leader is often democratic, sharing decision making and encouraging accountability and oversight.

A safe group/leader may have disgruntled former followers, but will not vilify, excommunicate and forbid others from associating with them.

A safe group/leader will not have a paper trail of overwhelmingly negative records, books, articles and statements about them.

A safe group/leader will encourage family communication, community interaction and existing friendships and not feel threatened.

A safe group/leader will recognize reasonable boundaries and limitations when dealing with others.

A safe group/leader will encourage critical thinking, individual autonomy and feelings of self-esteem.

A safe group/leader will admit failings and mistakes and accept constructive criticism and advice.

A safe group/leader will not be the only source of knowledge and learning excluding everyone else, but value dialogue and the free exchange of ideas.

Date: January 04, 2007 10:37PM

hahahaha, wow, well i can deffinatly tell you that they are nuthing like the top group. That group sounds more like the Revival Fellowship, which i left when i was 8 years old. Thats why we left.

City Impact Church, even though it sounds very authorising, especially with the 16 million dollar building being build by vollenters.
But they have never ever stoped us from seeing our family, i have never seen sign of abuse ever, and Pastor Peter has the best sense of humour ive ever heard.

he has admited failings and mistakes many times in church and even on the tv program that airs in NZ, Australia, France the UK, india, rarotonga, and the phillipines.

I know the root, heart and soul of the church as my mum worked on staff for 7 years, one of about 50 employees. The finances are not disclosed, and teaching is not just from him, we have many guest speakers from around the world. And every year they take 2 staff memeber to the Hillsong Sydney Conference. My mum was picked to go 2 years ago, and take back teachings and a great experince.

Community and family interaction is encougarge. they are so envolved in the community, that they are know very well and are well respected by the North Shore (a city in Auckland) city counel.

There was no force to stay in the church, give tithe, although it was encougarge (i mean even non christian successful business people who dont even know their bible give 10% away, coz its not just a biblical prinsible, but an life prinsible), they were not forced help out in the building site, but if you wanted to help out, that was fine, if ya dont, thats fine too.

And there is no boads that control the leader. Pastor Peter and his Wife started the church 25 years ago this year. and the people who he is passing the mantle on, is to his Son, for he is to retire sometime in the near future.

When we left to come to Brisbane, we were prayed out by Pastor Peter and Bev on stage. There was no stoping us. All though they were loosing an employee, a backing vocal (my dad), and a childrens church leader.

Check out the website for more info at [www.cityimpactchurch.com]

Kemo[/url]

Date: January 04, 2007 11:44PM

kemo1321:

A couple of simple questions.

1. Does the church have a constitution with bylaws, which provides for a democratically elected church government. That is, an elected board and officers that have authority over the pastor and can fire him?

2. Does the church annually publish an independently audited financial statement that specifically details all salaries, any and all compensation and expenses paid out from church funds?

These are things you should know as a member.

Date: January 04, 2007 11:56PM

Well there is a board of pastors, and i know if the other pastors felt that he was not doing what he was supposed to, yea im sure that they could let him down. but city impact church isnt like a church like Citipointe where i go now, where they come under the head branch of COC Christian Outreach Centre where they have a board that they can kick pastors out.
So in a sense its not a big corporate business with many churches around the county/globe where a board chooses anything. But the pastors and im sure there is a board of directors, (i just need to ask my mother when she gets back from her holiday) chose everything with the support of the congreation

the second question, yes they do, and they have an accountant, and they get independantly every year.

Kemo

Date: January 05, 2007 01:18AM

kemo1321:

You are not really answering the questions.

A democratically elected church government means that each tithing member has one vote. Then typically there are elections by secret ballot through which all members vote for a church board that serves fixed terms.

The board then has the authority to hire or fire a pastor if they wish. They also set the budget, salaries etc.

There should be a published constitution that specifies this through its bylaws.

An independently audited and annually published financial statement, doesn't mean the church simply has an accountant on the payroll.

It means that there is an annually published budget with very specific details listing each and every salary, any compensation and expenses paid out, which is distributed annually, to all church members.

Independently audited, specifically means that an outside accounting firm has gone over the church's financial records and certifies that everything reported in the published budget or financial statement is accurate.

Impact must be incorporated and probably has tax-exempted nonprofit status. But it appears the pastor may have no meaningful accountability and the church finances are not transparent.

Perhaps the pastor has a board, but he can dismiss members whenever he wants.

Posted by: wizeone ()
Date: January 08, 2007 02:23PM

Faithful
Hi there Wizeone.

I am interested to find out what exactly happened at this church that caused you to leave.

I noticed on another thread that you said

"[i:4a1b75327e]Let me tell you about spiritual abuse and the effect its had on my life. The most accurate comparison I can find is "spiritual rape". I've been out of that church for about 10 months now, and it still impacts on my life.

Do I put all christians in the same box, heck no. However I deserve to have space where I can heal without someone who knows nothing about my situation preaching at me.

Not that I would wish my journey on anyone, even my worst enemy, however come back when you've developed some more indepth understanding about the profound impact spiritual abuse has on peoples lives.

Especially when its done by people claiming to be christians"[/i:4a1b75327e]

Don't mean to be nosy, but my sister was hurt by some of her "friends" there and so she refuses to go to that particular church but she did say to me that it wasn't the church itself just a few individuals that made her feel like she couldn't return. And when I say a few individuals I mean 2 people out of the 2500 congregation.

Again, I'm just curious as to what "abuse" you endured that "you wouldn't wish apon your worst enemy"? Was it really that bad?
Telling people heavey stuff that I wouldnt just tell anyone thinking I have found someone I can trust, but instead of that information remaining private it is passed onto senior leaders who put it across the pulpit as a suposed word of knowledge.

This wasnt confirmed to me, till I spoke with someone in leadership who confirmed this.

relatiopnship control, being told by someone in authority who I should and shouldnt be friends the people in question were christians.

Posted by: abigail1977 ()
Date: January 09, 2007 02:25AM

kemo wrote:

Also, Wizeone, i do know who you are personally, and as you do like using Letters to represent peoples names, you may remember who "W" is!
I have visited your site a few time this year. A few other people who i think might have browsed your site is C, V, L, among otheres.

Snooping around churches, and popoing it on the net is not what a christian would do. And as you have been hurt from the church, and have taken offence (as many people who dont have the holy spirit running through them do) i cant see why you cannot forgive them or anyone for their offenence.

are you saying wizeone has no holy spirit running thru her? i take that as a stab at her personally and that is UNCHRIST LIKE! If wizeone feels that she was spiritually abused, and wants to seek others who have left that church, is it any business of yours? However anyone needs to heal is there business.

have some compassion before you just defend the church, K?

Posted by: wizeone ()
Date: January 09, 2007 04:44AM

abigail1977
kemo wrote:

are you saying wizeone has no holy spirit running thru her? i take that as a stab at her personally and that is UNCHRIST LIKE! If wizeone feels that she was spiritually abused, and wants to seek others who have left that church, is it any business of yours? However anyone needs to heal is there business.

have some compassion before you just defend the church, K?
Abby

I dont take it personally. When people cant attack the message, they attack the messenger..... I feel pity more than anything else. This group would never have the balls to confront me in real life, so they resort to online ad homenin attacks

Current Page: 2 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.