Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Opinions about the UPCI
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: July 19, 2006 07:34PM

The UPCI could resolve its pastor problems by instituting congregational bylaws and requiring democratically elected church boards that could hire, fire and discipline pastors.

Annually published and independently audited financial statements could likewise deal with the problem of financial accountability by disclosing all expenses, salaries and any other compensation paid out by churches.

If these things were set in place pastors could be held accountable by their congregations and the finances of each church would be transparent.

This is how most Protestant churches operate.

If such measures are not in place pastors are like kings ruling over their churches. Some may be benign monarchs, but many seem to be little more than tyrants.

I have received many complaints from across the United States about the bad behavior of UPCI pastors and it always seems to come down to the same issue of accountability.

Options: ReplyQuote
Opinions about the UPCI
Posted by: Jannski ()
Date: July 08, 2007 03:19AM

I know this is a really old thread... but I am a former UPC member (grew up in the UPC) and found it interesting when I ran across it.

I completely agree with you Rick that the problem is lack of accountability in most UPC churches. I say most UPC churches because my dad set the by-laws of the church he pastored up a little differently. The UPC is really a fellowship of highly independent churches who are responsible for writing their own rules and by-laws. As long as headquarters doesn't find those rules to blatently violate the by-laws of the overall organization than it can be a member. Actually, it could be even if it did violate the organizational by-laws as long as the UPC didn't find out about. If I remember right if you are a member of the organization and never choose to incorporate then the UPC headquarters never sees the by-laws of the local church.

In by-laws my dad established the UPC church he pastored on, the pastor was accountable to the congregation and could be voted out with 2/3 majority vote. Also, there were 2 trustees appointed to oversee any church business. Any check written over $25 had to be cosigned by the trustees... and all church business down to every last check written was presented in the annual church business meeting. So in the church my dad pastored there was CLEAR accountability to the congregation and I remember my dad saying over and over, "Don't take my word for what's in the Bible. You read it for yourself." He'd also have very open controversial discussions in Bible studies. ...all that aside, I agree with you that the pastor has to CHOOSE to make themselves accountable for there to be accountability. Luckily my dad was wise enough to do so.

Now as to the emotional pressure of needing to live a certain way and follow a list of rules or risk eternal damnation... now that is something that comes with the territory with some of the conservatives teaching.

My dad is a conservative (he's still licensed although retired from pastor. My brother is also licensed and a minister in a UPC church. My brother is far right conservative.. my dad is far closer to the middle of conservative.)... and it has taken a serious toll on me trying to work through all the confusion that results from realizing that "the truth" is not quite so easily defined down to black and white in all areas of life.

I try to have a sense of humor about it... but it's hard when I think that I've been living on my own away from my parents for almost 15 years and still my guts are twisting in a knot when I think about when they finally come to visit me sometime later this year they're going to find out I'm no longer a member of the UPC... and have "left the truth." (Yes, I'm still a Christian and very involved in my church... it's just not the "right church.")

It would be easier if I did not respect and love my parents so much and wasn't so proud of all the things they've accomplished in life (which I wont go into because it doesn't relate to the subject.) ...so I'm left trying to hang on to the amusement that even though I am a daughter who has never smoked or been drunk or battled with an addiction of any kind. I am serious about my relationship with God and accountable to a local church. God has blessed me in life and I've been very successful financially and have never had to go back and get bailed out of financial trouble. I'm a responsible citizen who votes, cares deeply and volunteers for helping troubled teens, building houses for the needy, feeding the hungry, etc. ...none of that will ever be good enough to be completely accepted for who I really am by my parents. The only way would be to get back "in the church."

So I guess to the original poster (if he ever still reads this thread) I'll summarize all of the above by saying I would never bash the UPC. There are people I highly respect there, there are also those I do not respect at all there... much like with any large group of people. There is a lot of good about the church... and there is a rather heavy downside for former members who dare to step outside the black and white and acknowledge the grey. ...and I could write an entire book on the subject from my personal experience alone.

Options: ReplyQuote
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.