Current Page: 2 of 9
Why do stars love such strange groups?
Posted by: Galakiah ()
Date: March 10, 2003 10:12PM

I think the real reason they join is because they reach the top of the pile and still feel empty.

No billion dollars and amount of fame fills the well inside that, I believe only God can fill but many cults claim that they can fill it as well.

Cults are attractive to them because they tell them their lives are meaningless, that the higher cause is the only meaning in their life.

And why do they fall for it?

Because deep down, they believe that their life is absolutely meaningless.

BTW Australia's richest man, Kerry Packer - his son was involved in scientology for a while. I am not sure what he is doing now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: richardmgreen ()
Date: March 27, 2003 10:28PM

Galakiah
I think the real reason they join is because they reach the top of the pile and still feel empty.

No billion dollars and amount of fame fills the well inside that, I believe only God can fill but many cults claim that they can fill it as well.

Cults are attractive to them because they tell them their lives are meaningless, that the higher cause is the only meaning in their life.

And why do they fall for it?

Because deep down, they believe that their life is absolutely meaningless.

BTW Australia's richest man, Kerry Packer - his son was involved in scientology for a while. I am not sure what he is doing now.

But by your signature, the type of connection to God you want people to have is a Christian one and many of these stars reject classical Xianity and also "born again" xianity. I believe that a new system is needed. One without mythology. I don't buy that "walk on water" stuff.

Posted by: inyoga ()
Date: March 28, 2003 02:52PM

[www.style.com]

She seeks enlightenment from a cult like group or two.

Date: March 28, 2003 10:03PM

inyoga
[www.style.com]

She seeks enlightenment from a cult like group or two.

I think the important thing is to not hop from one cult to another.

Posted by: Lady Pleiades ()
Date: April 22, 2003 10:19PM

Another reason the stars are attracted to the cults may be because the cults are like a drug (which I read in Michael Langone's book).

Fame (or so it seems since I don't really know :) ) creates a rush like a drug, but ultimately ends in the crash. This is what the cults do -- create an initial feeling of euphoria because of the initial bonding, belongingness and forced intimacy after all that confession. But then the euphoria wears off because the bonding and all the methods each group uses becomes rote and ritual. The excitement wears off. Crash. Need to find a new drug.

Cults like Scientology seem tailor-made for drug addicted stars now becoming stars of "recovery". How that junk has polluted the 12-steps is one of my main aggravations. I realize that some people probably feel like AA is a cult... I don't.

Posted by: stevew ()
Date: May 21, 2003 09:58PM

richardmgreen

I think the important thing is to not hop from one cult to another.

True. You should stick with the cult that brung ya.

Posted by: Cosmophilospher ()
Date: June 02, 2003 05:48AM

I would expect that any type of Cultish Group would send their best recruiters after anyone who is even a little bit famous, as this type of Social Proof of having a celebrity in your group will bring in a lot of other members.

A relative of mine wanted to be an actress, and she said she was thinking of joining Scientology, as she hoped she could meet some Show-biz people in Scientology! This is how nutty average people can think! Think of all the zillions of people John Travolta, and Tom Cruise have brought in for Scientology. :(
Who knows why they stay, maybe somehow it "works" for them, or maybe they just play to the Stars infinite egos and fantasies of infinite power, or maybe John Travolta is dumb enough to believe in Hubbards psychotic Cosmology, or maybe they do have some dirt on these stars and use that to keep them in line?
Well one day these "stars" are going to have to answer for what they have done in helping these Cults in their recruiting.

Also, Celebrities are EASY TARGETS. I have met countless "celebrities" due to my work, and how shall I say this? Well, most of them are NOT rocket scientists, or even savvy businesspeople. They are SURROUNDED by powerful Agents and Managers, who in almost all cases are the people who are REALLY running their Career, so many of these celebrities are really quite childish, sheltered, and infantile, and totally dependent on their "handlers". They just sort of show up where they are told to, and if there is a problem, its handled by the Super-Agent. (this is not in ALL cases, but most, in my experience).

I would imagine for a professional cultic recruiter, recruiting celebrities is like taking candy from a baby.
And the PR payoff is amazing! Look at His Phoniness Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. He went after The Beatles and it made him famous globally, and very wealthy.

These conmen/cult-leader guys & gals, are not stupid!
I imagine if I was a sociopathic Cult leader, the FIRST thing I would do is try to get some celebrities on board!
Then I would hire a PR agent to release this info to the Gossip Rags!
Coz

Date: June 09, 2003 07:22AM

September 15 is the scheduled release date for Madonna's Kabalah inspired childrens' book "The English Roses". It's going to be released in a record number of languages for a first release. Children of the world will get to here about the Kabalah Cult via Madonna. Celebrity gives cults such high visibility. The idea of a cult getting visability through children's books makes me ill. It's a combination of fame and the publishing industry. I hope that Tom Cruise doesn't get any ideas and create a sci fi series for young readers.

I hate it when children become targets of cults.

Date: June 09, 2003 07:30AM

September 15 is the scheduled release date for Madonna's Kaballah inspired children's book "The English Roses". It's going to be released in a record number of languages for a first release. Children of the world will get to hear about the Kaballah cult via Madonna. Celebrity gives cults such high visibility. The idea of a cult getting visability through childrens' books makes me ill. It's a combination of fame and the publishing industry. I hope that Tom Cruise doesn't get any ideas and create a sci fi series for young readers.

Date: June 09, 2003 09:02PM

inyoga

All the cults I got involved with and have seen try to get their members to have loads of children. After all, what do children know about life? The cult can easily mislead impressionable children who come from gullible parents.

Current Page: 2 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.