Current Page: 4 of 9
Why do stars love such strange groups?
Posted by: marc landeau ()
Date: January 10, 2005 10:18PM

I think that there are two basic cases why celebs are widely invloved with cults. First like Cosmophilospher said- the cults send their best recruting agents after the celeb, for the name affiliation.

Or....

Industry doesn't let you become a celeb unless you are under some sort of cultish control. One of my professors explained how a celebrity is treated like a brand name by the industry. The industry is going to invest alot of time and money in pumping that person up to stardom. After they paste them up on billboards [i:d9a2c22165]everywhere[/i:d9a2c22165]- that celebrities face [i:d9a2c22165]becomes[/i:d9a2c22165] the brand. And they don't want their brand to get a big 'I did it myself' head and start dictating their own terms. So I bet that being under some sort of cultish handlers control is a [i:d9a2c22165]prerequisit[/i:d9a2c22165] to stardom.

They wouldn't let a Travolta become a Travolta unless they are sure they have him under their thumb. I mean, if you need to make a propaganda film, like Ladder 49, to keep the public jumpy and remembering Sept. 11th (because you know, red and orange alerts get so mundane after the umpteenth time)- you need Travolta to do that film when you tell him to.

Talking about scary propaganda, what the *#!@ is up with Disney's "Tower of Terror" ride in Los Angeles? Just add one word to that title and you have the "Twin Towers of Terror" ride.

"Hey kids! Let's go see what it feels like to plunge down 50 stories!" And that's exactly what the ride does. I think it's despicable that they have the audacity to create an amusement ride suggesting and paralleling that tragedy.

But then again Saudia Arabia gave Disney some $350 million to bail out EuroDisney which was headed down the crapper (because Europeans don't fall for our mickey mouse sh*&!) 15 of the 17 hijackers were not from Afganistan, not from Iraq, but from SAUDI ARABI. Maybe they're cooking up a new theme park. Oh wait, ....land .....land.... dis....knee.... no that can't be right. ......land.....ho........... Homeland Security Amusement Park! Ingenious! Sorry, I got off topic.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Faderaven ()
Date: February 17, 2005 09:50PM

johnnypeppers
Hello everyone. This newbe has noticed Rage against the Machine, plus "actors" Ed Asner, Alex Baldwin, The Mayor of Paris :? , West Coast International Longshoremans Union local #10 along with the radical group MOVE :twisted: from Phila, show strong support for an affirmed convicted murderer Mumia Abu Jamal. The point I'm trying to make is I've tried to dialogue with the groups mentioned, via E mail and their message boards...fruitless. E mails unanswered and posts deleted/access denied. Is this SOP for groups who refuse to respond, with logic, anyone that questions? Please post any resopnse.

I read the Amnesty International report on MAJ. Based on that ....if MAJ was a family member or mine I'd want a retrial for him as well.

Posted by: johnnypeppers ()
Date: February 18, 2005 02:39AM

Faderaven
johnnypeppers
Hello everyone. This newbe has noticed Rage against the Machine, plus "actors" Ed Asner, Alex Baldwin, The Mayor of Paris :? , West Coast International Longshoremans Union local #10 along with the radical group MOVE :twisted: from Phila, show strong support for an affirmed convicted murderer Mumia Abu Jamal. The point I'm trying to make is I've tried to dialogue with the groups mentioned, via E mail and their message boards...fruitless. E mails unanswered and posts deleted/access denied. Is this SOP for groups who refuse to respond, with logic, anyone that questions? Please post any resopnse.

I read the Amnesty International report on MAJ. Based on that ....if MAJ was a family member or mine I'd want a retrial for him as well.

In Mumia's MANY appeals Federal and State and local, reviewed by over 12 Judges and justices, ALL have denied his appeals meaning, he did have a fair trial and affirmed his murder conviction. I attended most of the trial when I was not at trial myself and I'm sure if A.I saw the antics of MAJ and the outbursts of the MOVE supporters and how the Judge bent over backwards to accommodate, AI would write a different report. For the COMPLETE trial transcripts and the appeals I strongly suggest you go to Justice for Daniel Faulkner.com. Another great site is the Justice Forum: Daniel Faulkner/Mumia Abu Jamal This site answers many questions. The site is exceptional due to the fact it breaks down many lingering doubts anyone may have. Both sites are factual and no one from the MAJ group aka. MOVE, has ever debated anyone on the facts. Malcolm Wright..yes THE Malcolm Wright, tried with a poster by the name of Nikon and he lost at every turn due to the FACT Nikon was well versed and did his homework. I got to know Nikon and he is in no way connected with any law enforcement agency. He works for a newspaper in Jim Thorp Pa. Tell me, why do you think MAJ did not receive a fair trial?
Thank you for your response and interest. Ciao

John

Posted by: Savernake ()
Date: June 17, 2005 12:50AM

A sort of related issue -- does anyone else notice LGAT type terminology leaching into general language? (ie via celebrities). I'm not sure whether it's paranoia on my part or something genuine.

I can't think of many specific example's now, but occasionally I notice this and think "Is this or that celebrity involved with LEC?". A few small examples that spring to mind: on Radio 1 the other day, one of the DJs referred to "getting present" (in a context which suggested being honest with yourself). As if anyone should know what that's supposed to mean. And that Gwen Stefani song/video "Whatcha waiting for", is like a short course in the ideology.

Then again, on the other hand, it's not so much the ideas that are new as the high pressure sales technique and mental manipulation, so I shouldn't be so surprised to hear this kind of thing in pop songs... I wish I could remember more examples of the type of thing that made me do a doubletake... has anyone else noticed this? Particularly language related things?

Posted by: Voyager ()
Date: March 30, 2006 03:03AM

[b:1c7109e222]Religion is a drug[/b:1c7109e222]. Many actors and artists have addictive personalities. Their compulsive nature drives them to find something to soothe their mind. They have a constant drive inside of them that is what caused them to be successful... but at times they want to turn that drive off. They use drugs, sex, gambling, alcohol... and yes, religion. But your normal corner church is not enough for these folks. They need something that allows them to give 200% of themselves to satisfy their compulsive nature. So they end up in an extremist group - aka "a cult".

8)

Posted by: Gulab Jamon ()
Date: April 01, 2006 01:40AM

rrmoderator
What is it about cults and extreme groups that attracts so many celebrities? Hollywood seems to be overflowing with such groups and stars flock to them.

I don't think that proportionally or statistically celebrities are more involved in cults than the general population. It's just that you hear about it more often. If Joe Schmoe joins a cult, no one knows or cares besides his immediate family. But if a celebrity does, it's news. In fact, even if a celebrity belches or sneezes, it makes the news.

As to why celebrities join cult-like groups, it's because their privileged status lets them be treated like stars there too. Celebrities don't have to put up with the abusive crap that your average cult follower is subjected to. They are treated differently because they're valuable.

My friend who was kicked out of Syda (Gurumayi's organization) tells me that one time John Denver came to visit the ashram. He traipsed through a sacred temple with his shoes on, which is considered sacriligious, but no one dared tell him to take his shoes off. Any other devotee would have been given a really hard time about doing something like that.

Posted by: Gulab Jamon ()
Date: April 01, 2006 01:43AM

Savernake
A sort of related issue -- does anyone else notice LGAT type terminology leaching into general language? (ie via celebrities). I'm not sure whether it's paranoia on my part or something genuine.

It could be happening, or it could be a case of "which came first, the chicken or the egg?" Is LGAT-type terminology entering the general language, or is the current slang/expressions being incorporated into LGAT terminology?

Posted by: larrye2001 ()
Date: April 09, 2006 03:33PM

you ask "Why do Celebrities associated with "cult-like" groups" like most questions, I look for the simple answer. THEy need their eGo stroked. Plus what you think they do may not be what they do. When a Cleb needs a new movie contract or is promoting a new movie or book they get free press coverage by doing something stupid or great (in their eyes).

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: April 09, 2006 10:01PM

Probably not.

It doesn't seem to be in either Tom Cruise's or Madonna's best interest to have fans find out they are groups called "cults."

Not really that good for ticket sales or PR.

They do get special treatment, but it seems they have fallen for "cults" in much the same way everyone else does through various recruitment approaches and schemes.

The simply truth is, we may all be vulnerable at some point or time to groups called "cults."

Posted by: larrye2001 ()
Date: April 10, 2006 01:46AM

As they say in show buzzzzzzzzzzzzz, Don't care what you say about me, just spell my name right" people seldom remember why the person was in the news but they ALWAYS remember WHO was in the news!

Current Page: 4 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.