Current Page: 3 of 4
Can I ask something controversial?
Posted by: nativeflower ()
Date: May 15, 2005 10:37AM

Bonnie..thank you...I try to be happy..ususaly am

I did not know AA was cultic....kinda weird ..but not cultic...I went to an OA (overeaters anoyomous) and ....it felt pathetic..I cant accept that I have no control over myself....I am not that much of a wimp...but alot of people are helped by AA..but the whole you cant help yourself thing..ya from a rational mind..is kinda weird Not to mention alot of feeling sorry for onself goes on to.

thanks for complementing my writings....I am a writer..working on a book about my crazy life.

ohh an as far as a teacher filling the cup...I worry about that philosphy because cults are in the buisness of appearing to have all life's answers for a hidden agenda...thats basicly cults in a nutshell....I think it is better to be one's own teacher than to place someone in a possition where they have control over what information going into your mind And when someone, anyone, appears to have all of life's answers.... run fast and far

Love,

JoAnne

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: frogs25 ()
Date: May 15, 2005 11:44PM

nativeflower,
I think what is happening here is what has troubled me eversince I could think and question. Apparently there are those who go with the flow, and accept the beliefs of a particular faith, while there are others who want to cause a ripple to a calm river. To me it comes natural to question my beliefs and the typical answer from my sunday school teachers when they couldn't answer my questions about the faith resounded the same old "if you listen carefully and continue to pray, God will answer your prayers". The inner conflict I face is that most of the time I believe the answers I receive are answers I invented and self entertained while there are a few strong times when a miracle has occured and I strongly believed that God talked to me directly. So I'm rambling here but my point is that we want concrete answers, and we have been trained to belive that the All-knowing, All wise God is GOING to give us the answers. Truth is the way we are molded to believe is demolished by our philosophical instincts to question everything about life. Our Purpose, our goals, our religion. Don't feel like you have to find a religion that fits you. If you happen to come upon one thats great, but don't make it stressful for yourself. It's not worth it. Just be happy and see the beauty in life!

Date: June 17, 2005 03:08PM

interesting point..I feel though...without a certain knowing of some truth I am lost..I guess that goes back to my christian programing

I have been continuing to de-prgram myself after 3 ..no 5 years ..I just learned that I am ulimately responcible for my own actions...I was programed to believe that God controls everything I do and I am not responcible for my actions because he controls me . Kinda sick

I am hoping that one day I will get my brain back

but I have heard it said on this site that It is ok to not know all the answers and to accept that some things we dont know about this world

I guess in essence...the quest to answer the big questions of life leads us to these cults in the first place

I haver to concemplate that one for a few days

JoAnne

Posted by: windofchanges ()
Date: June 17, 2005 08:14PM

With these points in mind, Unitarians suggest that human differences of opinion and lifestyle should be seen as potentially creative and enriching, rather than necessarily destructive.

In my opinion, Unitarians and Unitarian/Universalists are caring and generally very accepting people, and the first group to turn to for assistance with any community need.

However, we became exposed, in the early 80s, to lots of new age practices and philosophies, many through the Unitarian Church we attended then. These were fun, and interesting and. . .eventually led us to the Gentle Wind Project that my family spent so many years with. In a strange way, one thing followed another, through no fault of the Unitarians.

So, while it's very important to respect differences of opinion and lifestyle, it is equally important to closely examine what is behind the appearances and words.

Sometimes things that appear to be creative and enriching aren't.

Judy

Date: June 18, 2005 06:14AM

Yes I have become very sceptical of any organized religious group..I feel that I am safe to follow my heart and seek my own temple within me and to not engage in organized religion ..although I do take lessons from many religions I choose not to be a member of any particular group...

I have some friends that are unitarian and they are nice people so no offence to anyone..but I agree with you Judy..even unawarely a sincere group can become somewhat cultic over time. I just dont trust anyone who encourages me to be a part of a group and allow others even liberaly tell me what to be beliieve

However I am concitering to understand that there are some mysteries to life that dont have answers and if they did ..maybe it doen't matter

JoAnne

Posted by: yourmaster ()
Date: June 18, 2005 10:47AM

I think it wise to question all beliefs.

Date: June 18, 2005 11:43AM

I agree it is wise.

and also wise to question the sincerity of anyone or anything that is a nown that produces a verb

JoAnne

Date: December 25, 2005 01:10PM

I'm very concerned that my daughter's life is in danger. Her personality has drastically changed in the past six weeks. The notes we found in her car were filled with F words describing her outlook on life. I have hired a private investigator and I'm told the next thing I need to do is do an Intervention. However, the cost is $3,500. I'm disabled and my wife makes a minimal salary. We need to do the Intervention ourselves. Could anyone assist my wife and show me how to go about doing the Intervention?

Richard

Posted by: Hope ()
Date: December 25, 2005 10:18PM

Concerned parents,

Need more info. A search on your name didn't provide any other posts.

That is a lot of money to spend for a private investigator when in fact she might need some counselling. Again, there is not enough info and doing an intervention is best left to someone who is qualified to do so.

Posted by: Toni ()
Date: December 26, 2005 03:36AM

concerned parents
Could anyone assist my wife and show me how to go about doing the Intervention?

The cost of an intervention varies with the cult-experts.
Which group is your daughter involved with?
First and foremost, however, please do not panic and learn as much as you can about the phenomenon.

The following may help you:

[www.culteducation.com]

[www.culteducation.com]

[www.culteducation.com]

[www.factnet.org]

You are good parents to be taking this seriously, and seeking resources.

toni

Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.