short time, long effects.
Posted by: ExLC ()
Date: March 22, 2005 02:15AM

How can I stay in the cult for only two years and have it affect my live for more than ten years later?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: March 22, 2005 04:08AM

People can be in high demand groups for 'just two years' and be quite deeply affected.

It all depends on:

*What you were going through at the time you were recruited/joined the group. Problems you had before joining the group may still be unresolved and need attention after you've return to the outside world. If you joined when very young, you may miss out on life experiences you'd have had if you'd not been in the group. One may need remedial experience in dating, education, etc. O

Everybody is different. Even within the same group, some members may be treated very differently--some may get benefits and no lasting harm, while others may be singled out for scapegoating and be severely traumatized.

Every person's situation must be looked at individually.

Various possibilities:

*To what extent the stuff that went on in the group may have exploited or compounded areas where you were already vulnerable

*Whether you were persuaded to do anything that you now feel ashamed of

* Whether joining the group or leaving the group disrupted valued relationships

*Whether the group may have exposed you to abuse or forms of hypnosis or trance induction you were unaware of that might still be affecting you.

Best thing is look for a counselor who specializes in working with people who have been in high demand groups

Posted by: Angela ()
Date: April 02, 2005 07:31AM

It just depends on your experiences in the cult. Two years, or only two days, or twenty years... are equal in one respect, when you become a part of a cult - for however long - that experience becomes a part of your life, a part of your past, a part of who you are. You can leave the cult, go on with a happy, healthy life, and never think about it again - but that experience is still a part of you. So the fact that you still are affected by it ten years later, means only that you are aware of the things that influence your life - which is good - too many people have no idea why they do the things they do in life, and do not even realize the things that influence their thoughts and decisions an actions. Would you like to share something more specific about how it affects you or what your experiences were? ((hugs))

Posted by: Mena ()
Date: April 17, 2005 09:27PM

I agree that it does not matter how long you have stayed in the group but instead how intense your being there has been. How deeply that group has been able to affect you.

I think it is worse if you were one of the "lowest" in hierarchy. Somehow I think recovery might be easier for those who have been in higher positions in cults`hierarcy system. What do you people think?

Please tell us more about it if you can.

I wish that you are able to recover. Have you seen any "ordinary" therapist? That might help. I wish you will be okay.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.