leaving the cult mindset?
Posted by: Brynhild Tudor ()
Date: November 23, 2010 12:57PM

Hi gang,
Maybe some New Wagers and/or former JW members can answer this. How did you all begin to leave the cult style of thinking when it comes to "you don't *have* to do this, but if you don't follow these teachings/do these required practices, dire consequences will happen." I'm struggling with that now, because I half believe that something bad's going to happen if I hold a thought I'm not supposed to have, etc.
I thought I could start with something small, like being afraid something's going to happen if I have an incorrect thought and nothing happens, but I'm not sure what to begin with! Am I even making sense?

The New Wagers say, if you don't think *this* way you won't get the ideal relationship/job, won't ascend, etc. The JWs say if you do certain things or don't do them, you'll go to hell. How did you start to break out of that. Cause that fear has a steely grip, you know??

Thanks so much. On a totally unrelated note, I'm so happy Oprah's leaving! Now if we could only get Dr. Phil to take his annoying presence elsewhere...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: leaving the cult mindset?
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: November 23, 2010 02:48PM

You might want to cross-post that to the SGI thread. [forum.culteducation.com]
SGI tries to brainwash members that if they leave SGI, their karma is going to go into the crapper, and they will probably get cancer next week, and no one will love them, etc.
Many have gotten past that.

Standard scare and terror tactics, to try to keep people in the sect.
Hellfire was the old method.

Re: leaving the cult mindset?
Posted by: Stoic ()
Date: November 23, 2010 08:13PM

'Hellfire was the old method.'

Having been condemned to hellfire and damnation from an early age I can recommend a bit of cheerful blasphemy and a good dollop of heretical thinking as an antidote.

[forum.culteducation.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2010 08:26PM by Stoic.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.