Degree mills...or cultic fronts?
Posted by: Oerlikon ()
Date: July 24, 2010 09:26AM

Can anyone tell me if these two (apparent) degree mills have cultic connections of some kind?

United Graduate College and Seminary
[www.graduatecas.org]

Latin University of Theology
[www.lutinternational.com]

Thanks in advance for any input you can offer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2010 09:26AM by Oerlikon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Degree mills...or cultic fronts?
Posted by: OutofTransition ()
Date: August 01, 2010 11:01PM

No, but in general, before enrolling in a "private" college or university, especially one that is not well-known, it is best to ask around whether their degrees are accepted in your chosen field of study and whether their credits will transfer to a public college or university. Don't take the private school's word for it that these credits will transfer, go to a community college or university and ask them. My sister teaches at a state university and she tells me that every semester they have to deal with students hoping to transfer from the private school down the road, only to find that the classes that they spent their time and money on won't transfer and they have to essentially start all over. "But they told us the credits would transfer!" And the school down the road isn't a "bad" or "shady" school, it is just how the system is set up.

I hear ads all the time from two of our local private business schools (both calling themselves universities) who promise prospective students that they can get a degree in only 2 years going to classes only one night a week. As someone who struggled for two years at a state university trying to juggle work and school, I look upon this with disbelief. Something does not smell right here. They are not telling the whole story. I have a feeling that yes, they will offer you a degree of sorts, and yes, it might help career-wise if you are not interested in going on, but the one school I checked into wanted what I consider an outrageous sum for just one class (compared to the same class offered at the local community college). I also know someone who took classes at the other school only to find out that her employer's tuition reimbursement program did not recognize that school.

So, buyer beware. I don't know anything about the two schools mentioned above but their very names sound suspicious.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.