Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
"Mormonism": Not a cult - random thoughts...
Posted by: Fairytale ()
Date: November 01, 2006 03:50PM

OK, people.
As the wife of an ex-mormon (who didn't left the Church in bad terms at all), and with all my family-in-law being devoted Mormons (sorry I use the nickname, it's not pejorative), I'm interested and concerned about this definition of "cult".
My children, if I happen to have in the future, will be close to their cousins, and in some moment they may ask me to attend the Sunday School...

So, my worries come to this: is it actually [b:916378fc42]harmful[/b:916378fc42] to people?

As a non-mormon, I don't believe in their doctrine.
OK, fair enough, free country. The veracity of the Book of Mormon has been challenged enough and DNA doesn't supports the traditional Mormon teaching that Amerindians are of primarily Hebrew descent. (See [www.irr.org] ) Fact.

Both Joseph Smith and his father were involved in the occult practice known as "money digging." This involved special rituals and ceremonies which were performed for the purpose of obtaining buried treasure thought to be guarded by evil spirits. Fact? (see [www.irr.org] )

The Book of Mormon itself had suffered many changes during the years and sometimes even contradicting previous editions. Same with the accountings of Smith's visions and translations of the golden plates.

They call themselves Christians, but being Christianism an essentially monotheist religion, it can't be possible, since LSD believe that there are many gods and that even a regular person can become a god too in another planet after life. Therefore, even believing in a "version" of Christ, politheism doesn't fit in the definition of a Christian church. Fact.

OK. But as a catholic I have serious doubts about the veracity of the Bible itself. The rational mind sometimes overcome the faith.
And believing what is not proved or even real is not bad if it help us find some comfort and hope in our lives.

My point is: (and please explain me as if a was a 12 years old, point by point, not referring me to the articles *)
- Is the LSD psicologically harmful to people? How?
- There is brainwashing? I'ts hard to tell that my in-laws are brainwashed, they are really kind and caring fellows.
- Is the tithe a way of exploiting people?
- Are the current prophets taking advantage of their position?

I'm sure I have more questions in my head, I'll post them later.
I insist: I do not want to offend anyone. Of course, a devoted Mormon will say NO to all this questions, but I don't expect otherwise.

* I've read the articles. I just need points; like a supermarket list. Maybe I'm too simple minded, sorry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Gimlikun ()
Date: November 18, 2006 05:55AM

I too have the same questions as fairytale, but not for the same reason. My brother is slightly interested in a Mormon girl (I don't know how devoted she is). Should he step back?
I only post this, because nobody really replied to Fairytale's question. I would like to hear both sides of the story, not just some one sided "I know it's a cult."

Posted by: Fairytale ()
Date: November 18, 2006 03:43PM

Is the LSD psicologically harmful to people?

I meant [b:d60bf0bce8] LDS [/b:d60bf0bce8] (Latter-days Saints), of course.

LSD (lysergic acid diethylamide) IS harmful. Sorry.

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.