Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Heavens Gate like Cults.
Posted by: Redwing20293 ()
Date: June 07, 2010 06:32AM

What cults are similar to the infamous Heavens Gate cult that was around in 97. I know there was the Solar temple back in the 80s but what other cults are there that are still around today that are similar to Heavens Gate?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Heavens Gate like Cults.
Posted by: dsm ()
Date: June 07, 2010 10:41AM

In what way?

Posted by: Stoic ()
Date: June 07, 2010 03:06PM

I would categorise Heaven's Gate and Solar Temple as apocalyptic/endtimes groups. For a theory on what happens in these groups to bring about the endtimes thinking, try this:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Leon Festinger and others explained this in a book 'When Prophecy Fails.' after infiltrating a group that was expecting a deliverance by non-humans which failed to happen.

There is an enormous archive of information on all types of groups as well as their possible motivations and beliefs on this site:

[www.culteducation.com]

Date: June 08, 2010 06:42AM

In a way that the leader was thought to be some reicarnation of jesus and was some Extra terriestorial being and the cult ended in a mass suicide.

Date: June 08, 2010 06:44AM

Stoic Thanks for the info.

DSM. I mean like groups in which the leader claimed to be some reicarantion of jesus and had a Sci-Fi undertone which ended in a tragedy.

Posted by: zeuszor ()
Date: June 08, 2010 10:36AM

It has been reported that some members of the Jesus Christians wear wedding rings, regardless of their marital status, to demonstrate that they are all married to Jesus. The members of Heaven’s Gate all wore wedding rings, as well, to signify their marriage to the “Next Level.”

[forum.culteducation.com]

Date: June 09, 2010 06:19AM

I am aware that Heavens gate wore the wedding rings. But have there been any cult leaders like Applewhite since Heavens Gate?

Posted by: Stoic ()
Date: June 10, 2010 12:38AM

There have been some big African suicide cults, info on the main site linked above and rumours of suicidal tendencies in Aum Shinrkyo, currently known as Aleph.
Basically, any cult can go that way if the leader is loopy enough to see death as a viable option to being unable to impose his will on the world and has enough control over the followers.

Interestingly, the dynamics seem to be similar to the men (it is mostly men though not exclusively) who feel powerless in the world for some reason and kill their entire families and sometimes, though not always, themselves as a form of revenge against the cruel world that will not submit to their will.

Corboy has previously linked to a good article on this:

[thelastpsychiatrist.com]

I don't really get what you are asking for, do you have a particular group in mind?

Posted by: Keir ()
Date: June 10, 2010 02:26AM

Redwing20293
What cults are similar to the infamous Heavens Gate cult that was around in 97. I know there was the Solar temple back in the 80s but what other cults are there that are still around today that are similar to Heavens Gate?
I think most of these suicidal groups tend too be either very secretive or selective in telling the public of their true beliefs or intentions.
I know the Ecuadorian government was keeping a close watch on a Samael Aun Weor "Gnostic" group back in the 90's. Whom they suspect might be a doomsday cult.
[www.catholicculture.org]

Posted by: dsm ()
Date: June 10, 2010 02:31AM

I am concerned about some of the internet cults we see which appear to be no more than a bunch of videos but which may be acting as "filters" that allow leaders to recruit suicidally-inclined people. It might not even be the leaders of such internet groups, but others who are able to contact and recruit the visible participants.

Does anyone else think this is going on? Is this related to what you have in mind, Redwing?

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.