Cults on TV
Posted by: moji977 ()
Date: January 05, 2005 07:16AM

History Channel is showing an ep. of "History's Mysteries" all about cults. Guess what? Melton is on it. I was so very surprised by this. If anyone else has seen it, or is watching, anything to know about the other "experts?"

-moj (BTW- hello to everyone!)

Options: ReplyQuote
Cults on TV
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: January 05, 2005 07:26AM

Gordon Melton is quite a character.

He writes about cults, often funded by cults.

He once wrote a book for Ramtha and "researched" Children of God. They seemed pretty happy with the end result.

See [www.culteducation.com]

Aum paid his expenses to fly to Japan and defend them after they gassed the Tokyo subway.

Melton hasn't been seen much lately, maybe this is a repeat?

Cults on TV
Date: January 05, 2005 07:34AM

It's quite possible that the show is a repeat. Addmittedly, 1/2 hour into it, and they've gone through Puritans, Shakers and Mormons. Now onto Church of Satan. I've not heard anything truly negative about that group. Aside from the rural scare of Satanism in the 1980's, that is. But there is a sense in this that cults are merely churches that are not yet accepted, and only religion = cult. That kinda scares me.

-moj

Cults on TV
Date: January 05, 2005 07:40AM

Sounds like Melton alright.

Cults on TV
Date: January 05, 2005 07:43AM

Melton stated that (pardon an error filled paraphrase) if innovation requires experiments, every so often, an experiment blows up. I assume this was in response to Jonestown, although it was part of a commercial teaser. Does this man realise that these "explosions" are at the cost of valuable human lives and souls?

Cults on TV
Date: January 05, 2005 08:00AM

Melton's main focus seems to be money.

Cults have money to pay him.

His motto apparently is--"have apologies, will travel."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.