Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: In the beginning...
Posted by: Cathykrafft ()
Date: April 07, 2010 10:57AM

Calling groups 'cults' has become typical behavior.

This is copied from wikipedia, maybe you'll share-

Stigmatization and discrimination

Because of the increasingly pejorative use of the terms "cult" and "cult leader" since the cult debate of the 1970s, some scholars and groups referred to as cults argue that these are terms to be avoided.[54][55]

Catherine Wessinger (Loyola University New Orleans) has stated that the term "cult" represents just as much prejudice and antagonism as racial slurs or derogatory words for women and homosexuals.[56] She has argued that it is important for people to become aware of the bigotry conveyed by the word, drawing attention to the way it dehumanises the group's members and their children.[56] Labeling a group as subhuman, she says, becomes a justification for violence against it.[56] At the same time, she adds, labeling a group a "cult" makes people feel safe, because the "violence associated with religion is split off from conventional religions, projected onto others, and imagined to involve only aberrant groups."[56] This fails to take into account that child abuse, sexual abuse, financial extortion and warfare have also been committed by believers of mainstream religions, but the pejorative "cult" stereotype makes it easier to avoid confronting this uncomfortable fact.[56]

The concept of "cult" as an epithet was legally tested in the United Kingdom when a protester refused to put down a sign that read, "Scientology is not a religion, it is a dangerous cult", citing a 1984 high court judgment describing the organization as a cult. The London police issued a summons to the protester for violating the Public Order Act by displaying a "threatening, abusive or insulting" sign. The Crown Prosecution Service ruled that the word "cult" on a sign, "...is not abusive or insulting and there is no offensiveness, as opposed to criticism, neither in the idea expressed nor in the mode of expression." There was no action taken against the protester, and police would allow future such demonstrations.[57] In Scotland, an official of the Edinburgh City Council told inquiring regular protesters, "I understand that some of the signs you use may display the word 'cult' and there is no objection to this."[58]

Sociologist Amy Ryan has argued for the need to differentiate those groups that may be dangerous from groups that are more benign.[59] Ryan notes the sharp differences between definition from cult opponents, who tend to focus on negative characteristics, and those of sociologists, who aim to create definitions that are value-free. The movements themselves may have different definitions of religion as well. George Chryssides also cites a need to develop better definitions to allow for common ground in the debate.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: April 07, 2010 08:23PM

Cathykrafft:

Wikipedia has a history of problems regarding cultists and others with a vested interest using its Web site for propaganda purposes.

For example, Scientologists were banned from editing at the Web site.

See [www.culteducation.com]

The page about "cults" that you have excerpted has a history of such problems.

Note the advisory at the top of this page.

"The neutrality of this article is disputed. Please see the discussion on the talk page. Please do not remove this message until the dispute is resolved."

Wikipedia also runs a disclaimer linked throughout its Web site, "Wikipedia cannot guarantee the validity of the information found here."

See [en.wikipedia.org]

Catherine Wessinger is a "cult apologist."

She has attempted to put her best spin on notorious cults including the Waco Davidians, Heavens Gate and even Jonestown.

By invoking cult apologist spin to defend yourself and destini you have certainly cast your lot with cults.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2010 10:14PM by rrmoderator.

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: April 07, 2010 10:07PM

After watching this thread, if anyone I know expresses curiosity about Destini, I will advise them to read this and other Destini related threads and observe the dreary sameness of the responses given by the Destini advocates and tell them,

'Thats how weak and flabby your mental muscles will become after after youve been on the low nutrient diet that Destini will feed into your brain.'

Posted by: BellaBargilly ()
Date: April 07, 2010 11:19PM

after watching this thread, all i can say is you guys have not done any actual research!!!

Date: April 07, 2010 11:59PM

BellaBargilly:

Destini is a relatively obscure group.

The questions asked and answered on this thread are helpful in developing an understanding of how the group is run and how its members think.

In my opinion the posts by destini devotees have afforded readers of this forum a first-hand view of the group mindset.

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2010 09:30PM by rrmoderator.

Posted by: quackdave ()
Date: April 08, 2010 12:09AM

Out of the three threads on this forum (that I have seen) regarding Desteni, one thing stands out: The apologists (or perhaps 'true believers') are out in force, and disrupting each of the threads with their personal testimonies or sales pitches. To me, that is strong evidence that a 'nerve' has been touched. I never heard of Desteni before, but the actions of those who feel the need to come here to try and stop the questioning, are extremely telling. In fact, they have been very instrumental in the opinion that has been formed in my mind. Thank you for showing me that I want no part of you or your beliefs.

qd

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2010 12:38AM by quackdave.

Date: April 08, 2010 12:20AM

quackdave:

Yes. The "true believers" are attempting to subvert the destini threads.

But the admissions by devotees are interesting, not to mention the loaded language.

Apparently destini leaders have no meaningful accountability, educational requirements or democratic governance.

And if you look at the Web site under books they recommend some are by "Osho" aka notorious cult leader Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh.

Not exactly credible reading.

Date: April 08, 2010 12:32AM

this forum here actually demonstartes how mind-control works.

you sure you are not a cult?

LOL

Date: April 08, 2010 12:35AM

rrmoderator
BellaBargilly:

Destini is a relatively obscure group.

The questions asked and answered on this thread are helpful in developing an understanding of how the group is run and how its members think.

In my opinion the posts by destini devotees have afforded readers of this forum a first-hand view the group mindset.

Thanks

in spite of your opinion - one only needs to see your words here = they prove the tactics by this forum's admins and are indicative of mind-control.
mind-control is based in fear - so the question would be? why all this fear? why all this judgment? why creating opinions without research?
there has to be a reason
LOL

Date: April 08, 2010 12:42AM

BellaBargilly:

A few questions.

Is destini a registered nonprofit charity? And if so is it a religious nonprofit?

How much money is paid out in salaries each year and expenses to staff? Is there a published budget that discloses in detail how the money contributed to destini or paid for its products is used?

Are you aware of any study done to scientifically measure the results achieved by destini participants? If so has the study been peer-reviewed and published in a credible respected journal?

BTW--you said that destini is exposing "cults."

Please name the cults destini has exposed specifically.

Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
This forum powered by Phorum.