Toronto Blessing
Posted by: Steve7 ()
Date: February 13, 2010 01:57AM

Some have tried to infer that I am in some way affiliated with the "Toronto Blessing". Let me state for the record I categorically condemn it.

That's just like saying anyone who lives in the state of Kansas is affiliated with Fred Phelps.

Here's a good article to read about it [www.ccg.org]

Nice try Mike Rowland.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Toronto Blessing
Posted by: jah ()
Date: February 13, 2010 02:27AM

So is this some kind of 'charismatic' gathering as part of one particular church or another? And is there one or a few specific individuals behind it all, or did it just sort of spring up? It is a curious phenomena coming out of the 'city of churches' (Toronto has more churches per square City block than just about any other city in the world).

Posted by: jah ()
Date: February 13, 2010 02:34AM

Okay, I have answered my own question as there is some history: [en.wikipedia.org]

Still, other than the usual sort of group hypnosis and the occassional weird and unexplainable phenomena that sometimes occurs at Charismatic meetings, are people being bilked, manipulated, or abused in any way? Has a cult grown up around these meetings?

The reason I ask is that I know somebody who seems to have been quite disturbed (dare I say damaged) by a long association with a group of holy rollers and I would like to know more about how it works from the inside, if you are privy to that.

Posted by: Stoic ()
Date: February 13, 2010 04:53AM

There is an outgrowth of the Toronto blessing, the Alpha Course which has been the subject of some misgivings in the UK. In the UK both have their beginnings in the same church, Holy Trinity in Brompton Road and both have the charismatic and evangelical element, which is seen as a good way of reversing the rapidly falling church attendance in UK.

There are elements of the recruiting and training which come close to cult techniques and could easily cross the line but as yet there seems to be no overt bilking, manipulating or abuse. The Alpha Course is widely endorsed by church officials as a way to appeal to a younger generation, its presented as the 'hip' face of christianity.

I watched a doc on the parts of the course that they were willing to open to the cameras and it seemed mostly about getting 'bums on seats.' The parts that weren't available to the cameras were the charismatic parts as those can be a complete turn-off for the CofE regulars. The majority of Brits tend to ridicule speaking in tongues etc, no matter what denomination they are.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.