Sci/World Literacy Crusade Requests $7M Public Funds
Posted by: Kaleidoscope ()
Date: September 07, 2009 05:19AM

Front group World Literacy Crusade, founded in 1992 by Scientologist Rev Alfreddie Johnson Jr, runs a chapter in Miami FL.

This group is alternately referred to as World Literacy Crusade and Girl Power.

Some background information on the relationship between Scientology and WLC can be found here courtesy of Rick Ross.

Florida Congressman Kendrick Meeks is making a seven million dollar appropriations request on behalf of World Literacy Crusade this term, for their Mama Hattie House project
Appropriations request document

I would venture a guess that it would be a cause of much embarrassment to Congressman Meeks if it came out publicly that the 7 mil was going to fund an arm of Scientology.

Especially in light of the fact that he is currently running for senate to fill the seat of Mel Martinez.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2009 05:21AM by Kaleidoscope.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sci/World Literacy Crusade Requests $7M Public Funds
Date: September 07, 2009 08:43AM

I humbly apologize for the typo. It is Congressman Meek, not Meeks.

Forgive me, I am not from Florida.

Now, it seems to me that Congressman Meek is a good guy in a tough job. There is a lot of "at-risk" going around in his district. That's a cause for much concern.

However, this doesn't seem to be the solution:

"Help us reach our goal of $15,000,000 with your pledge and donation. All donations are tax deductible. Please make your check payable to World Literacy Crusade of Florida, Incorporated/Mama Hattie House."

GirlPowerRocks.org

This money-grubbing scheme is an outrage, and puts at-risk kids at even more risk.

Date: September 10, 2009 07:16AM

Here is a statement from the American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Reseach:

Girl Power! and Other Federal Idiocy
by Christina Hoff Sommers

"(There is an) absence of any evidence that the six-year-old Girl Power! campaign has succeeded at its stated mission—discouraging substance abuse among girls by boosting their self-esteem and academic achievement. But then indifference to scientific soundness has been a hallmark of this enterprise from the beginning."

If Obama is calling for evidence-based solutions, this is surely not it.

Date: September 16, 2009 02:22AM

The appropriations request for World Literacy Crusade did not make it into the final budget!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.