The True Gonstic Church - anybody know about it?
Posted by: WafflingWanderer ()
Date: May 24, 2009 02:03AM

First of all - hello - first post.

Just curious about this website I ran across - www.truegnosticchurch.org

I am NOT accusing these people of being a cult. They have a book that is supposed to be scriptures given by God (the Mother and Father), to Azrael Ondi-Ahman (aka Archie Dean Wood) and is called the "Song of God". The words are compelling.

I get a bad feeling pretty quickly from a cult, which I have NOT yet gotten from this group. Normally I get the "bad feelings" from your typical bible thumping, or large organized religions, like Mormon, Catholic, Baptist, etc.

Comparing a religion to see how it stands up to the Bible is not a test I care for, as I am not sure how much I trust the contrived book of Constantine anyway.

Just wondering if anyone has any history on this or Azrael?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The True Gonstic Church - anybody know about it?
Posted by: notanantiGnostic ()
Date: May 24, 2009 09:21PM

I have probably not seen anymore of this group than you but I would consider them to be no less of an organized religion than the others you mentioned it is simply smaller, I have not seen evidence for it being a cult or suspect group. However Azrael is making some outlandish claims. The claim that he has the one message from Jesus that everyone else has missed is quite a claim, although the message that he is delivering is ok. Personally I think the evidence shows that Jesus never exist, but the universal myth it represents is quite valuable. so for me anyone claiming to have met the spirit of an actually Jesus seems to be to likely be full of it. However the experience he had may be interpreted as representing important aspects of his psyche.

It appears that Gnostic is kinda an elitist terms these days. People use not to mean that they are seeking out gnosis but that they have found it and their version is above all others.

Posted by: WafflingWanderer ()
Date: May 24, 2009 11:05PM

Actually, the "message" is supposedly from God (the Father and Mother) and they claim NOT to believe in "Jesus" (or the Bible).

Excerpt: "As true Gnostics therefore, we do believe in the Galilean, and see in him an example worthy of emulation and devotion, but we do not believe in the Jesus Christ found in the Christian faith."

The outline of their beliefs can be seen here: [www.truegnosticchurch.org]

I find the message to be one that sounds reasonable, to me. I have never seen how someone could believe that Moses received revelation and then assume that anyone else could not. The concept of Joseph Smith receiving revelation did not bother me - it was the LDS church in general.

You have some very informative posts notanantiGnostic.

Posted by: notanantiGnostic ()
Date: May 25, 2009 11:29AM

I think when they say Galilean they mean Jesus. When they say they do not believe in the Jesus Christ Found in the The Christian Faith they are really saying the do not believe in an particular interpretation of Jesus.

Personally I don't think an other these people actually received revelations but they were stories created for a particular message. When I hear living people making such claims such as Joseph Smith, who apparently was proven to be a fraud, in court, in his own lifetime. These extraordinary claims relate to what they attempt to do socially. So seeing someone like Azrael make similar claims makes me very suspect. Of course this is just my perspective.

Thanks for the compliment.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.