Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Is Falun Dafa a cult?
Posted by: prozak ()
Date: March 09, 2005 09:58AM

evilkiller
The anti-cult movement (ACM) targets new religious movements that engage in psychological manipulation, deceptive recruiting practices, or simply expect a high level of commitment from their membership.

This seems like the smartest definition. I'm sure some Falun Dafa outfits don't require commitment or cultlike behavior, just like many (most?) churches do not. I guess there's two dimensions to religion: personal, and organized, which can be cultlike.

Options: ReplyQuote
Is Falun Dafa a cult?
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: March 09, 2005 08:20PM

No.

There is no "movement" per se.

Simply a response to complaints and controversy surrounding some groups.

This is not an organized "movement."

And a "high level of commitment" would not cause concern, unless there was evidence of destructive behavior, abuse, serious complaints etc.

See [www.culteducation.com]

This "(ACM)" definition sounds more like something a cult apologist might say.

Regarding Falun Gong, the group does seem to be a destructive cult.

Note the following Web site.

[antifalun.ce.ro]

Also note these articles:

[www.culteducation.com]

[www.culteducation.com]

[www.culteducation.com]

Is Falun Dafa a cult?
Posted by: Keir ()
Date: March 17, 2005 06:19AM

I personaly believe they are a cult.
How many groups can simply conjure up several thousand members to demostrate infront of the White House almost overnight?
Li Hongzhi certaintly acts like a "guru" on a high horse.

Is Falun Dafa a cult?
Posted by: Linnie52 ()
Date: March 17, 2005 07:20AM

Hi,
I got interested in Falun Dafa due to a potentially serious health problem. When I began the exercises I did not realize that one needed to also adhere to certain behaviors and beliefs. I am a Catholic and do not intend on changing my beliefs or religious practices. For me, the two do not seem to mesh smoothly. I am disappointed as I thought it fine to do an eastern exercise/meditation practice in conjunction wtih my own faith and beliefs. I would love to stop taking medication but I would not do that with my health issues unless my doctor advised it. Some of the things I have read have frightened me and I am at a kind of crossroads now...to stop the exercises or not to stop? I did feel the heat of the energy while doing the exercises at times, so the "chi" they talk about is truly legitimate, as it must be in other QiGong practices as well. As I said, my only reason for doing the exercises is for improving health, I have my own religious practices of kindness, benevolence, etc. But it seems that Falun Dafa states that one should not do the exercises soley for heatlh reasons and infact, people with illnesses are not encouraged to attend Falun Dafa classes. Very confusing to me. :?: I have seen the Falun Dafa groups in Manhattan here in NYC but never felt comfortable in actually practicing with a group. I do not want to "belong" to any kind of group. Uneasiness might be a good factor toward caution.

Is Falun Dafa a cult?
Date: March 17, 2005 08:42PM

I have received very serious complaints from families about Falun Gong.

Some of those complaints centered upon someone not taking medication and/or receiving proper medical care because they believed the group practice and/or Li Hongzhi would heal them.

Li Hongzhi teaches this and disturbing emails I have received from Falun Gong true believers confirm it.

It seems like Mr. Hongzhi wants it both ways.

That is, to make health claims that entice new recruits, but then carefully take steps to avoid any responsibility by creating a premise for plausible denial.

No scientific study has provided objective evidence that might substantiate any of the healing claims regarding the exercises.

Is Falun Dafa a cult?
Posted by: Linnie52 ()
Date: March 17, 2005 09:02PM

Thanks to the moderator for the info on Falun Dafa exercises and no concrete evidence of physical healings. I was wondering why the claims for healings on the Falun Dafa sites online are all from China? I have not seen any testimonials from people in the USA except for one on Amazon.com in reviewing the Falun Gong book and another from a couple in Kansas, one of whom is Chinese. Some have said that merely reading the Falun Zhuan book has healed them! When I told this to my husband he asked me why then, are so many people attracted to Falun Gong and some willing to go to prison for it if they did not benefit from it? I do not have the answer to that question. Any insight? He also said that some healings might have occured because the people truly believed they would be healed. Mind over matter, so to speak. Thanks again.

Is Falun Dafa a cult?
Date: March 17, 2005 09:37PM

Falun Gong devotees are not unlike the supporters of Benny Hinn, the crusading American evangelist and supposed faith healer.

There has been no documented healing regarding Hinn's claims, but his supporters still fill stadiums and offer unsupported anecdotal testimonials.

And despite repeated exposure as a fraud and something of a hustler who spends lavishly on himself, Hinn's faithful remain "true believers."

There are many examples of extreme cultic devotion such as the Waco Davidians, Jonestown, Aum and the Manson Family. In all these groups devoted members were willing to break the law, go to prison and/or even die for their beliefs.

Such fanatical devotion is common in some cults.

This coming week two programs will air on national television regarding this subject.

"Biography" will run the story of David Koresh.

See [www.aetv.com]

And "American Justice" will air a program about cult leader and convicted murderer Jeffrey Lundgren.

See [www.aetv.com]

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.