Current Page: 28 of 53
Re: Recovering from New Age Mumbo Jumbo
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: November 20, 2011 12:35AM

What is 'Devotion?'

We may be using the same word but coming at it from different cultural universes.

It appears that what Tibetans mean by 'devotion' is something very different from
what we think of when the word is mentioned.

The teacher quoted was an honored one, Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche, quoted by an admiring Western devotee.

It is from the Fall 2010 issue of Tricycle magazine an article entitled The Great Experiment. - an interview with Tim Olmsted who had studied first with Chogyam Trungpa and then studied with Tulku Urgyen, an honorable teacher whom Trungpa brought in to teach. Later, Olmsted went East and studied with Ugyen.

Urgyen taught this from a book, Rainbow painting, as quoted from the article. It is considered his core teaching. (a small excerpt)

Quote:

"To sum up, we need devotion** to enlightened beings and compassion to those who are not. Possessing these two, the main training is maintaining nondistraction.
'When we forget mind essence we get carried away. But with devotion and compassion, the practice of recognizing mind essence will automatically progress.

'Please keep this teaching at the very core of your heart; not at the edge or to one side of your heart, but at the very center. Please think, “That old Tibetan man said devotion and compassion are essential. I’ll keep that right in the center of my heart!”

'I have wanted to say this for a long time, but I feel that now people are more willing to listen. It’s because it’s extremely important that I felt it should be said.

'I am telling you the truth here. I am being honest with you. I am not lying. If you practice the way I have described here, then each month and year will yield progress. And in the end, no one will be able to pull you back from attaining enlightenment."

Corboy:

Now, this sounds nice, doesnt it. Lovely, eh?

Reader, I ask that you pay close attention to what came next in the Olmsted interview.

Just after this quotation from Urgyen, Olmsted reports a conversation he had with Urgyen Rinpoche whom he described as the kindest and gentlest of men.

The Tricycle interviewer had asked, "THis was his core teaching?"

Olmsted responded. And read this closely.

"He referred everything to the nature of mind. He didnt talk much about paths and stages or deliberate training in compassion and devotion.

For him the emphasis was on recognizing minds' nature from which the abiding qualities of compassion and devotion arise spontaneously.

One time, (Olmsted continues) I asked him,

'Rinpoche, why dont you teach about compassion and devotion in the same way other lamas do?"

And he said,

"These days, to have the experience of compassion where tears flow out of your eyes freely, and to have devotion where the hair on the back of your neck stands up--who has that anymore?"

Olmsted continues telling the Tricycle interviewer

"He didnt say that we didnt have compassion and devotion or that we should not train in it constantly, but I believe he was suggesting that we needed to train in a kindof natural, uncontrived compassion and devotion."

(Tricycle, Fall 2010 page 45)

Look at the various Western dictionary definitions of 'devotion'

[www.google.com]

My neighbor carried her ailing dog up and down many flights of stairs, and several times a day so the dog could have a pee or a poop outdoors.

To me, that behavior was what I recognized as devotion. My neighbor did not behave as someone with hair standing on the back of her neck. She and her dog had been through a shared lifetime together. The dog was now old and ill, and my neighbor was doing all she could to soothe and ease his final days. It could not have all been warm and fuzzy, because theres pain in watching a dog you have had from puppyhood becoming old and ill. But..my neighbor hung in along with her grief and the labor of the home nursing and perservered, carrying her 35 pound dog up and down those 3 flights of steep stairs.

And unless I am mistaken, my hunch is that most of us Westerners would ID this as devotion.

And that many would suggest that in devotion as understood in the West, there is a relational dimension, based on reciprocity.

Others might include a trust dimension, comfort and affection dimension in devotion.

And perhaps others would suggest that buried in the Western European/American concept of devotion, hints of the old feudal bond in which the Lord and follower made a pledge of mutual loyalty. The knight devoted himself to the baron, giving the baron military assistance at risk of his life and and in return, expected his liege lord to protect him and be his advocate.

In the West 'devotion' blended in with loyalty and was a mutual tie, even if the lord had more land and titles than the knight.

But.....no point did the Tricycle Magazine interviewer say, 'Wait--the experience of devotion as decribed by this high Lama-- "is to have the hair on the back of your neck stand up?"

Dear reader, this experience of hair standing up on the back of ones neck.....look back at the situations when you have felt those hairs stand up on YOUR neck.

Now...ponder the implication of this hair-standing-up-on-the-back-of-one's-neck-being labeled, as the desirable emotion of "devotion".

Then, examine the implications of it being considered desirable for you to feel this way in relation to an 'enlightened being'.

What I find troubling is that Olmsted didnt question this, and worse, the interviewer in that Tricycle interview failed to notice and then speak of the cultural chasm between the Tibetan teacher's description of 'devotion' and the Western dictionary definitions/description of 'devotion'.

Tricycle is not a cheap magazine. For the newstand price, I'd expect the interviewer to ask very much better questions when a statement like that is made.

I contend this is a very serious case of using the same word but are not speaking the same language.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: November 20, 2011 12:41AM

Next, before anyone decides to go to India or Nepal or Sikkim and give over their lives, health, money and careers to engage in deep practice and study of Tibetan Buddhism, it would be informative to get and read Nikolai Grozni's memoir, Turtle Feet: The Unmaking of a Buddhist Monk.

Some reviewers dislike the book because it isnt devotional. Well, Grozni made it clear in the subtitle that this was going to a memoir and not an inspirational book.

Its very much a mans' book, women may feel pissed off at all the ribaldry.

But I would urge people to hang in and persevere. A lot of strange people show up in Dharamsala. If you are a girl or older woman and about to go to India, reading Grozni's book will help you recognize ahead of time persons and situations where you might find yourself in a creepy situation and you will be able to spot the signs fast enough to get out and away.

The best information sometimes comes in very distressing packaging.

Grozni has additional qualifications that make his book valuable.

He has a gift for learning languages. He was physically tough and was able to survive living in harsh physical conditions and lived at the level that most of the local people did. Many of us would have become dangerously ill, or stressed and have had to leave. Grozni, a hardy Eastern European, was able to stay and the result is a gift for for his readers.

Because he lived over two years in Dharamsala, Grozni learned things hidden to most travelers.

He tells you, among much else, detailed information on living conditions, shopping, the fine points of working a kerosene stove, and he learned Tibetan and after ardous lessons from a teacher of logic, was able to attend classes at the Institute of Buddhist Dialectics and participate in the debates. You will be given detailed description of the content and method and yes, ritual of the debates. This is the training for elite monks, and the equivalent of going to Caltech or the Institute of Advanced Studies at Princeton, or for a sports analogy, the Olympic training center.

Grozni grew up hating the Communist authoritarian regime in his native Bulgaria and was more than prepared to be sympathetic to his hosts.

But as I read his book, I came to the shocking conclusion and this is my reading, and a very reluctant conclusion--

The method of debate taught in Tibetan Buddhism is not a search for truth. It is a system of indoctrination disguised as a search for truth and it functions to keep the existing powerholders on their thrones and at the top of the heap.

Grozni tells how the devout lay people scurried aside or bowed when even the lower level students, himself included, went by.

Only certain replies are allowed to questions. If you venture outside the framework, people freak out.

And, Grozni was shocked that many of the assumptions were false premises, even tautologies that would be considered unacceptable in western logic.

He didnt quit on this. He studied this stuff for nearly 3 years, both at Dharamsala and at another large Tibetan Buddhist university in Karnataka India, and he hung in despite becoming seriously ill with malaria and dysentary, and lived in rooms with mud walls, vermin, and bathed in cold water from a town well. Not a man to quit easily.

I read Turtle Feet expecting to learn about life in Dharamsala.

Instead, I was shocked.

I was and still am shocked at the difference between what we trustful Westeners (many rich celebrities and university scholars included) what we trustful Westeners have been told about the Dalai Lama via his PR machine and the fawning media vs what Nikolai Grozni learned--in spite of himself--during 2 plus years of living next door to the Dalai Lama's residence and socializing with people who adored him.

Please read this before you give all and go to Dharamsala or India.

Grozni went with utter sincerity. He did not go intending to write an expose.

That is what made his book such a shocker.

And...remember, Grozhni grew up in Communist Bulgaria, hating the authoritarianism of it all. He wrote anti communist graffiti on his high school wall, in 1988/89 and could have gone to prison or disappeared had he been caught.

At least if you do go, you will be better informed and have an idea on how you will live.

Date: November 25, 2011 06:29AM

Agehananda Bharatis distinction between aesthetic and empirical is the sane, democratic alternative to the unholy, destructive marriage called "occult science."

Perhaps Swami Agehananda Bharati (the former Leopold Fisher of Austria) can help. Bharati made a radical change as a teenager in Vienna when he chose to become a Hindu. That was in the late 1930s before he joined the Austrian military as part of the Indian contingent during the world war. Toward the end of the war he was captured along with the native Indians by the allied forceshe had so adapted to the Hindu languages and culture that the authorities took him for Hindu despite his Germanic appearance. Talk about aesthetics! Bharati did talk about aesthetics in his autobiography, The Ochre Robe (Ross-Erickson, 1980).

For me, he made a key point that can help all of us to comprehend what we do when we convert to a belief system. His life is instructive because he was born into a Christian jati, his varna was Caucasian white, not Brahmin tan, yet he somehow "legitimately" became an authentic swami in the highly exclusive world of Hindu caste. Two years after the war Leopold Fisher moved to India. He first joined an ashram founded by the radical, nineteenth century Hindu saint, Ramakrishna, for a year after he arrived in India. He tired of the ashrams pretensions and sought out the more traditional order of devotees of the Hindu saint Shankara (788-820 AD).

Eventually, by his erudition and pious behavior, Bharati convinced a legitimate swami to initiate him into the order. The swami knew full well that most orthodox Hindus would automatically reject this bold Austrian who would flaunt the Vedic rule of birth. He was born outside of the "twice-born" castes, therefore he could not be a monk inside of a twice-born caste. Fisher would have to convince his swami peers of his authenticity, and he did it eloquently in later years. He taught clearly in several dialects throughout India over a decade. Hindus do make exceptions and the Vedas accommodate a wide spectrum of approaches. Bharati once testified in a US court that the Hare Krishnas were violating the sacred rite of Sankirtan (communal chanting, singing and dancing in honor of God) with their fundraising schemes by the same name. At the end of his life he was a professor at Syracuse University in New York, yet maintaining his swami vows.

Bharati contends that the path he took was ethically neutral."t was neither good nor bad, because choice of this nature is aesthetic [my emphasis] and not ethical" (The Ochre Robe, 1980:78). As a Hindu Bharati could be both a "secular humanist" and a monk. The Vedic tradition allows for a host of derivative positions within the Sanatana Dharma (the eternal, imperishable tradition) of Hinduism. Polytheists, atheists, and theists strive together under the same banner, unlike under the strict orthodoxy of the three great monotheistic religions. Bharati distinguished between "value" and "truth:" "....value in the ethical or aesthetic sense does not mean truth or validity" (IBID:79). Logical by most religious standards, Bharati valued belief, but he had a harsh standard for trutha standard that would please most skeptics.

"Truth must be obtained by other means: by investigation, by discursive thought, by comparison, by an exchange of ideas, by strict and uncompromising tests with objective criteriaby logical, experimental or documentary proof" (IBID).

And this is the primary confusion of so many people caught up in cult behaviors, the confusion of their aesthetic worlds with the empirical one. Proof that God exists is not available to us if we accept the definition of God as infinite, ineffable, almighty, and eternal. We can only approach sacred mysteries through metaphorical beliefs, perhaps supported by rituals and doctrines. Our "experience" of spiritual realms remains aesthetic, no matter how real it "is" to us. It remains a perception albeit one that we value highly. This is shaky ground for a fundamentalist in any religion (and I include fundamentalist New Agers who believe in certain "truths" from aura reading, space aliens or astrology, for example) who equates his beliefs with testable truth.

Bharatis distinction between aesthetic and empirical is the sane, democratic alternative to the unholy, destructive marriage called "occult science." Bharati argues vehemently that there is no such thing as yogic science or a "scientific Hinduism." There is only a yogic "method" or a system of Hindu beliefs, codes, rituals and mythologies. By the same reasoning there is no Christian science, divine science, science of the soul, or sacred science. The CUT teachings encouraged me to believe that occult science was approachableas if it existed. The unholy marriage of those two realms leaves no room for discursive thought or healthy doubt.

The occultist dares not challenge the Ancient Wisdom, unless, of course, he is the one making it up.

It (the Ancient Wisdom or Lamist distortion of buddhadarma) is too powerful. The occultists' (aspirant's) motto is To Know, To Dare, To Do, and To Be Silent.

The "Silent" part generally means dont talk about your unprovable axioms and magical experiences to skeptics or perceived enemies.

(Following Bharati's strategy and) instead viewing a belief system as ... aesthetic removes the pressure of absolutism and the potential evil of totalism as an option for the believer.

It allows for more lateral thinking and testing, and it avoids the manipulative relationship with "sacred science" from "above."

Joel Kramer and Diana Alstad argue at length against authoritarian guruism for precisely this reason in The Guru Papers: Masks of Authoritarian Power (Frog, Ltd. 1993). When a devotee perceives a guru as someone who has "transcended" normal human consciousness, as someone who has transcended the dualism of "good and evil," who has "Self-realized" to the point of "oneness" with the divine source, that devotee is prime material for manipulation. It works like this: By recognizing the enlightened status of the guru, the devotee asserts an ability to recognize an enlightened being, thus elevating his or her status on the ladder of spiritual progress.

This is from a lenghy and interesting essay by Joe Szimhert.

Mind Control?
When I was a boy, perhaps seven years old, I learned that toads caused warts. It happened while I was fishing along a creek near my home in Pennsylvania where I noticed a toad in the grass. As I reached to pick it up, an older boy jeered at me for being so stupid: "Dont you know that you can get warts from toads?" His comment startled me. I pulled my hands back, and wiped them on my jeans. For years I did not question his challenge until I studied biology in high school. There seemed to be a consensus among some of the other boys that toads did indeed cause warts. How could I question these "authority figures:" they would not lie to me? They most likely believed it themselves. When I eventually learned that toads do not cause wartsthat a virus causes wartsI rejected the false information. Thereafter, I could hold a toad while enjoying my newfound wisdom. I enjoyed it because my behavior was no longer controlled by a false idea.

I recall another incident when older boys influenced me and two other six-year-olds to do something destructive that was "good," even required. At the time I lived across from a cemetery that had a large United States Armory adjoining it. It looked like a plain warehouse. We often played on the large, unused areas of lawn in the cemetery. An eight or nine-year-old boy with crew cut hair told us that the Armory was scheduled to be torn down and that we could break the windows. To prove his point he threw some rocks that broke a couple of 8 x 10 window panes. There were dozens of large windows with 8 x 10 sections. This triggered a five minute spree of flying stones breaking glass until a lady yelled at us from her back yard down the way. We ran, of course, now realizing that this was somehow wrong. The following week my friend and I returned to the scene of the crime to watch a military man dressed in fatigues replace window panes. He smiled at us and asked, "You boys didn't break these, did you?" We merely smiled back and walked away.

Those were not the last times that I was conned or influenced by information that I later discovered to be false or not provable, or even destructive. Sometimes it cost me money, time, or prestige, but the negative effects eventually passed, and I learned a few lessons. Once it cost me a marriage. In the name of a "positive" cause like saving the planet or attaining enlightenment many people have "thrown stones" at the "armory" of their marriages, careers, families and good friends. The old structures were doomed anyway, so they now believed after some authority figure or new belief system convinced them. " I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. I have come to separate mother from father, father from daughter, and mother from son"--to paraphrase Jesus, one guru whose teachings are commonly taken out of context. That lesson that cost me a marriage began when I was in my early thirties in 1979. Then I was on the verge of complete capitulation to a new religious group with a controversial charismatic leader. My struggle to sort my way through the psychological and spiritual twists and turns in my search for the truth eventually resulted in my career as a consultant about cults. The process of undue influence can be nothing more than a shared superstitionthe belief that toads cause warts. It can also be an elaborate web of suggestions that affect most or all of ones perceptionsmy cult leader "was" the sole authentic mouthpiece for all of the worlds religions and about the spiritual nature of the universe. Through the struggle to dispel my attraction to the latter notions, I emerged into an interesting and challenging job with heart-warming victories and heart-rending defeats. This essay represents a portion of my story as a cult information specialist and my thoughts about guruism.

Personal Story Revisited
I began to tell this tale in 1980 when friends of mine in Albuquerque asked: "Are you still in the Teachings?" It was probably 1984 before I could definitely answer "no" to the entirety of what it meant to be "in the Teachings," but I could answer, in 1980, that I no longer believed in some groups aligned with the Teachings. I broke my attachment to the one group with which I was most active, the Church Universal and Triumphant, about the time I booked an around-the-world series of flights. The photo above was taken during my one month stay in Nepal and India. The friends were then devotees of Elizabeth Clare Prophet (1939-2009), the "Guru Ma" and "Messenger" of Church Universal and Triumphant (CUT). Her devotees called her "Mother." [Elizabeth Prophet suffered from epilepsy from childhood throughout her life.From 1997 she exhibited advanced stages of Alzheimer's Disease, was quite demented and couldno longer function as a Messenger. No one in CUT has taken her place]. The Teachings referred to are a body of esoteric and occult traditions and rituals offered by a host of enigmatic sects with controversial charismatic leaders or founders. Sects representing this form of occultism range worldwide. Most practitioners are well educated and from affluent nations. The telling of why I left the Teachings was simpler seventeen years ago. I have meandered through many passages of experience and research since then, but my CUT experience taught me the most about how deeply the psycho social grip of a conversion can penetrate into one's soul. I learned that these forces weigh heavier when one tries to break free or deconvert, so much so that the mind comes up with every fascinating excuse to remain converted.

CUT has claimed to represent the essential Teachings of practically all them; them carrying names like Theosophy (see Madame Blavatsky's Baboon), Anthroposophy, Rosicrucian, Gnostic/Fundamentalist Christian, New Age, Mystery School, Arcane, Ordo Adeptorum Invisiblum, and Agni Yoga. It is a much longer list, but the Teachings include aspects of major religions as well: mostly Catholic Christianity, Mahayana Buddhism, and Tantric Hinduism. The key concept behind CUT and similar groups is the devotees alignment through the Messenger or Guru with a hierarchy of spiritual beings called the Great White Brotherhood of gods, goddesses, ascended masters, and elemental spirits. The Messenger is the human being through whom the spirits speak and listen. Typically, this is a unique position. Elizabeth Prophet recognized no other messenger, especially not one from a rival group or ascended being. There are many rival sects worldwide. A very short list is: Bridge to Freedom, I AM Activity , Aquarian Education Group, Ramtha School of Enlightenment , Mafu, Lazaris, Doctor Peebles , Extra Terrestrial Earth Mission, Ashtar Command , and the Aetherius Society.

For example, Judith Z. Knight exclusively channels a god called Ramtha, a member of the "same" Great White Brotherhood as Prophets ascended masters. Knights Ramtha School of Enlightenment conducts expensive workshops in psychic development at her ranch in Yelm, Washington. Prophets ranch/retreat is in Montana. No one but JZ can channel Ramtha (even if she wanted to) because Knight has legally trademarked Ramtha. Kind of like Disney trademarks Mickey Mouse . However, both women have channeled Jesus, who apparently can not be trademarked. Prophet had channeled messages or "dictation" from more than thirty spiritual beings including Buddha, Jesus, the Count of Saint-Germain, Hercules, and Mark Prophet (her dead second husband, a.k.a. Lanello). Other channelers have made a career out of the "dictation" from one ascended being. Alice A. Bailey (died 1949) spent the last three decades of her life writing down the arcane wisdom of "the Tibetan," a nickname for Djual Khul. DK was "invented" in the late nineteenth century by "his" previous amanuensis, Madame Helena P. Blavatsky, or "HPB" as her devotees fondly call her. Blavatsky lived from 1831 to 1891. HPB remains the most influential prototype of todays channelers.

Occultists like code names and initials: The Master M for Morya, and KH for Kuthumi, K-17 (a CUT master) for who knows who. There has always been something conspiratorial about occultists. They are, after all, guiding the world through dark, evolutionary times. Evil lurks among them in the guise of false Messengers and disguised "black" Magicians. A word here about "black" and "white." These colors, devotees of the Teachings will tell you, have nothing to do with race or skin. The colors indicate metaphysical "values" apparent to gurus who read auras. True members of the Great White Brotherhood have brilliant white auras, not skin color, they say. Those bad Magicians have "darker" auras. Just ask Elizabeth Prophet if you cant see it for yourself.

Another word here about race [see note below on current I AM racism ]. Theosophists and occultists are just as prone to believe in "superior" and "inferior" races as any Nazi. This is not to say that all of them do. The Nazis, by some scholars reckoning, garnered their Aryan race ideals from men who studied Theosophical racist notions (a la Blavatskys writings: The Spear of Destiny by T. Ravenscroft, 1985:159) Ravenscroft has been criticized by Nicholas Goodrick-Clark, 1992. The Occult Roots of Nazism (NYUPress)--a superior study on this topic, but Goodrick-Clark still relates the inherent racism in Theosophy and how it influenced the "Volkish" movements in Germany along with Nazism (p 31). The Theosophists borrowed the Aryan race as the superior one from a phase of what we call Hinduism. It goes something like this: The lighter the skin, the higher the caste, the more spiritual attainment one allegedly has. Dont quote me on that. Ive heard and read as much in teachings derived from Vedic culture, but I have also spoken to many Hindus who see past this simple nonsense.

Historically, "Aryans" from the north conquered and culturally absorbed the dark-skinned, indigenous peoples of India around thirty-five hundred years ago. Separation rules were established according to family, culture, talent and political power. Fixed castes evolved by two thousand years ago. There is no word for caste in India. One is born into a jati (birth and social group) and into a varna (color). Even today traditional Hindus tend to marry within their jati to fulfill a sacred, inviolable duty. Color matters to each jati. Centuries ago the tawny Brahmins who were in the highest caste may have been miffed when those "heathen," lighter Brits arrived to rule them. It struck me as doubly ironic in 1981 to see caucasian Hare Krishnas from America "being" Brahmins in Vrindaban, India, Lord Krishnas legendary birthplace. CUT accepted blacks by the time I joined them in the 1970s. There was a time when they apparently did not. That exclusion was passed to CUT from its reluctant parent group, the I AM Activity founded by Guy Ballard in the early 1930s. I AMers eschewed black people in their midst due to a peculiar race-karma belief. Old I AMers told me so. Mark Prophet, the founder of CUT, reportedly (by many ex-members I interviewed who knew him) believed that blacks in Africa were the result of an alien race mating with apes. As it stands less than 2% of CUT members are African American. This is not to say that all or any CUT devotees are racist. I wasnt racist when I believed.

Lets be fair about this. Racism exists in every culture. Human nature encourages us to protect our turf, environmental or spiritual, and to cluster with our kind. Racism becomes insidious when one culture has power over another and when one race defines another as a lower "species." Asian racism is history. Read about the Japanese occupation of Manchuria before and during World War II. Note how many a Korean feels about Eurasian babies. Adoption anyone? The Hutus vs. Tutsis in Rwanda have left a tragic modern legacy in Africayet they are both black tribes. The Serbs and the Croats (racist Americans might not call either group "white") keep at each other due to an old feud fueled by differences in language and culturedifferences that can support racist perceptions and "ethnic cleansing." Prison populations are instructive. The races tend to cluster with their kind. I taught art at a state penitentiary for a year in 1976 and observed it. This is not to say that there is not camaraderie among prisoners from differing races or ethnic backgrounds, but the tendency is to cluster with their kind. Human nature tends toward ethnic interaction in ethnic clusters.

The Teachings stemming from Blavatsky, however, convince a devotee of evolving "root races", of an initial root race that existed eons ago and was entirely etheric without physical bodies. Physicality evolved until it resembled our current state [fifth or sixth era of root races] during the fourth or "Atlantean" round. CUT (aka Summit Lighthouse) taughtthat their devotees are preparing for a seventh root race to emerge most likely in South America. CUT/SU sustains a significant following in South America. So, a devotee of the Teachings must decide if their recalcitrant spouse who disbelieves in the teachings might just be a less evolved individual reincarnated in an earlier root race. Spiritual or metaphysical racism is what I call this formed of spiritual prejudice..

One social force, however, can override (some say undermine) human tendencies to cluster ethnically. This is the force of belief in a trans-human dimension of spiritual powers and spiritual beings. Jim Jones had a racially diverse Peoples Temple. His devotees believed that Jones had thaumaturgic powers and saw him as God's prophet. Indeed, at one stage Jones stood on a Bible and declared, "I am God." On the other hand, an absolutist religious belief combined with ethnic superiority is a mighty mix. One scholar called it ideological totalism: "By this ungainly phrase I mean to suggest the coming together of immoderate ideology with equally immoderate individual character traitsan extremist meeting ground between people and ideas"
(by Robert J. Lifton, 1989: 419).

The fascist style of a Rome ruled by Caesar transformed into a Holy Roman Empire with not a few decades of brutal Inquisition. The ancient Shinto cult of Japan has at times ruled the nation immoderately. Theocracies do not have a great track record in history. Nazism was a kind of theocracy. Church Universal and Triumphant and nearly all groups that promote the Teachings have this same theocratic agenda, albeit hidden from the uninitiated. It hides under patriotic flag waving in America, within obscure "sacred" lessons, and behind the First Amendment. To some degree, fascist or theocratic beliefs are legal in America and free to influence our government. Note the political maneuvers of the theocrat Reverend Moon in Washington. CUT has theocratic agendas as well: It teaches that the Ascended Masters should be more directly involved in running our government through their "Christed ones" (CUT, Keeper of the Flame lesson, No. 29). Guess whose mouth these Ascended Masters will "use" to command their obedient chelas in Washington, DC? Hint: Only one can be a Messenger.

It bothered me to see guards at every entrance when I went to a CUT conference for the first time in 1979. It bothered me to have to go through a security check and give out the name of a CUT devotee who could vouch for me. It bothered me that I could not use my camera or tape recorder at the conference. It bothered me to wear a color coded badge that told everyone I was new to this. It bothered me that a tight knit hierarchy of devotees formed a chain of command under Mother, the guru. Back then hair length and styles were circumscribed by social influence if not outright instruction. Diet was also. Was I joining the military? What terrorist did this group fear anyway?

Whatever it was I knew later that I was watching ideological totalism at work. It bothered me to not be allowed to attend dictation (ascended spirits using Elizabeth Prophet to speak to us) in the main chapel. To be fair, it was usually crowded. Neophytes and outsiders whose badge color matched mine watched the television monitors in other rooms. All this bothered me and much more. Did I leave? Of course not. I chose to be there, and this was a challenge, a test of my resolve to "serve the Masters." I believed I was intelligent. I would know when to leave. But my first wife divorced me over my CUT devotion a full year before I "divorced" CUT. I went to two more conferences over the next twelve months. Six months after attending the last one during Easter weekend of 1980, I finally rejectednot without huge inner strugglesCUT and groups like it.

There were so many reasons to stay. I had made some good friends in the group. Did the group not teach a healthy vegetarian lifestyle, celibacy outside of marriage, avoidance of rock music, and clean, puritanical livingto live like a lay monk? I learned later that the highly regarded chelas on the CUT staff were secretly (back in 1979-80) eating meat. So was Elizabeth. Her daughter, Moira, later said it was prime cuts of beef, no less. Celibacy and sexual loyalty were not, reportedly, among the gurus better traits either (I tend to believe the body witness accounts of her third, former husband, Randall "King"). Not least on this list of reasons to stay, I was haunted by the suggestion that it would have been better to never have heard of the Teachings, than to betray them in any way. It could mean "10,000" lifetimes of hell before I had this "opportunity" again. How could I know?

Anyway, I finallyblew off all of it, all that talk about 10,000 lifetimes, because I was angry that I had ever entertained the "experience" of holiness within CUT as empirically real. I am sure that many devotees of Theosophy, CUT or any related group are, in fact,bascially goodpeople. True believers though they be, many are nevertheless good citizens, good neighbors, and caring parents. True believers in a bad idea perhaps. But what about the experiences? I "felt" a higher purpose among these people. And, ahh, those feelings of bliss after twenty minutes of decrees. (We chelas were expected to chant specified prayers and commands over two hours a day. CUT provides a thick book of decrees). The bliss proved that the prayer worked. Some decrees invoked powerful cosmic rays (blue, green, yellow, violet, ruby and white; never red, orange, black, gray). Some decrees called on the Masters to manifest health, wealth and peace for the devotees. Other decrees called for the judgment of bad peoplepeople like Mikhail "communist" Gorbechev, David "capitalist" Rockefeller, all rock stars and liberal Democrats and not least of all, "disgruntled" former members that dared to speak against Mother or "the Masters" in public. I should mention those big, bad, black Magicians of the nether worlds too. Blaze, Blaze, Blaze them away with Bolts of Blue Lightening. Smash, Blast, Annihilate and Consume them away with Blue Rays of El Morya. Blue meant power! Blue meant protection too., that is, in the "I AM"/CUT paradigm.

I can recall once decreeing for blue protection rays to surround an airplane that just took off with my then one year old daughter and her mother on it. I had to. The blue rays might have been the difference between that 727 staying aloft or crashing. How did I know? An inner impulse, no doubt coming from my higher self and my I AM presence above, told me so. It was my experience that it was true. How can anyone argue with that? Since getting into my career of exit counseling, I have logged over five hundred flights (as of 1997) in an eleven year period. No blue ray decrees. Airplanes seem to fly well without blue rays. The point is that I believed I could wield divine power, as all good devotees of occult teachings believe. Sorcery or "magick" is the fundamental cult of the neo-pagan, Wiccan and occultist. I once sat in a movie theater watching The Witches of Eastwick. In one scene we see a modern "witch," unnoticeable in an audience listening to a boring politician, cause a rainstorm to disrupt the speech. It ended the tedious lecture much to the delight of the witch. Back in audience reality two middle aged women seated in front of me laughed derisively when this happened. I heard one say to the other, "Oh, that's an easy one. Ive done that many times." She was serious! You rarely know who sits in front of you in a movie theater.

On another occasion, in 1989, I sat with a handful of innocuous neo-pagans and a Ramtha devotee (all women) in a New Age shop near Brisbane, Australia. One of them was my clients estranged wife. He hired me to determine just how deeply she was involved in Ramtha and, hopefully, to talk her past it. She liked me (they all did), but she did not realize at all that her husband had sent me (none of them, all aspiring psychics, to be sure, did). I listened to talk of occult power and light, talk of which crystals did what, talk of where they were on the metaphysical path. Finally, it was just too muchso I joined in the conversation. Or should I say monologues. This stuff was down my alley after years of interaction with several sides of the esoteric pathways. I could have channeled old Morya right there and they would have accepted it. Well, maybe not. It helps to believe in it if you are going to do it.

Those women, like so many New Age occultists I have met, had a tendency to speak "non-judgmentally." This means sitting there politely while someone goes on and on about her consciousness, gnosis or experience without fear of challenge. After all, their truth is their Truth. You wait your turn and announce your insights while others nod appreciatively. How nice. But how nasty when one leaves. One lady did. "Non-judgmental" insights into why the departed person was not progressing dropped all over the place. From this slice of another New Age soap opera I got the distinct impression of hypocritical monologuing between higher selves. The pretense to wisdom and high self esteem.

My struggle with the Teachings was a common one among seekers interested in fully understanding the esoteric words that attracted them. To fully understand occult realities, one must "experience" them in some inexplicable way. Reading is not enough. For example, if a group suggests that chanting a mantra will bring about the changes you desire, and you do "experience" the change after chanting, then, says the occultist, this is proof of a cause-effect relationship between our mantra and your changes. The occultist will say only you, the experiencer, can really tell. You can talk about chocolate all you want, but you have to eat it [experience it] to KNOW it. If youre not sure, you ask the guru. The occultist asks you, "How do you "feel" about it, what does your "intuition" tell you?" Enough coincidences happen in anyones life to seem to affirm the effect of any occult ritual, like chanting a mantra or lighting candles. The skeptically impaired, the superstitious and the confused easily make the leap past coincidence and misinterpretation into "this stuff really works!" I cannot emphasize enough how powerfully this notion of EXPERIENCE dominates students of the occult and related New Age groups. By experience occultists tend to mean magical awareness more than empirical participation.

An aphorism for occult seekers might be: It is true for me because I experienced it (I am magically aware of this). A narcissistic tone is at the core of the "Path" of the occultist because all reality stems from the world "Within," the true inner "Self" that is different from the everyday consciousness available to human beings. Through the Teachings I wanted to tap and use this world "within" not only for my self betterment (to "transmute" my old lower self into a godlike awareness and power), but also for the good of the world. And that is what the Teachings promised I could accomplish.

The notion of "going within" is hardly an alien one. We seem to act inside when we think, feel, hear, smell, and breath. We act out when we touch, build, play and speak. But the impulse or energy to do so comes from the energy "within" our bodies. The occultist presumes that this inner world is somehow connected with, even identical with, the same forces that govern and create the physical and metaphysical universe. Thus the occultists motto: As Above, So Below. This presumption of tappable divine power (e.g., ESP, levitation, past-life recall, invisibility, thaumaturgy, and metaphysical healing and destroying powers) pervades the Teachings. In CUTs version, the devotee taps and increases his or her metaphysical energy by becoming one with the I AM Presence (the personal Deity) through "decreeing," an elaborate form of rapid chanting, also called the Science of the Spoken Word (Mark & Elizabeth Prophet, 1984. Summit University Press) . If God "spoke" the world into existence, so can our spoken decrees "manifest" what we want into existence. As above: In the beginning was the Word ; so below: In the end there is the chanting devotee.

The manipulation of spiritual energy is a common pursuit among occultists, most of whom maintain that their rituals for self perfection are ultimately unselfish. A "perfected" being can better serve others, so they say. Some, CUT devotees among them, claim to do the will of the ascended masters who benevolently, it is presumed, guide the destiny of mankind as well as of the earth itself. Their decrees are "offered up" as quantities (e.g., 144 Reverse the Tide decrees, 12 Lord Michael protection decrees, or 40 Heart, Head and Hand decrees) for the "perfect" wills of the ascended masters to use. We send the ascended masters and gods "electricity," it is stored in akasa [space, ether] and the masters/gods hurl the lightening to earth. Other occultists, those who follow Aleister Crowley for example, might be serving a spirit (Aiwass in Crowleys case) in exchange for occult power, but they are determined to believe that it is their own will that is primary. "Do what thou wilt is the whole of the Law," say those who believe their wills are aligned with "Will" itself. But the only apparent will that is being followed is that of a human being who is a self-proclaimed magus, whether above as the guru self or below as the devotee self.

That was precisely the bind I found myself in with the Teachings, the bind of distinguishing my "lower self" will from that of my "higher self." A double bind occurred simultaneously whenever I entertained the "authority" of a guru or the teachings of a guru as spelled out in books, tapes, or in the lectures. Whose will was I following anyway? The conundrum of experience, I discovered then, was that all experience is conditioned by an interactive environmenteven the gurus! I had no unconditioned will. Neither did any spokesperson for the teachings be they servant or spook. There was (is) no unconditional will in the human realm. Our will will change if we are freezing or starving. Once I realized that, I could let go of my fear to question and reject the gurus altogether. They were in the same soup I was. My job became one of sorting out the more elegant ways to know my "self" and my socio-spiritual environment. I ceased becoming a lower self and a higher self, a head and a heart (and a hand in CUT), or an untransmuted self and a "perfect" monad. I became what I always was and will be, Joe Szimhart, a person with body parts like a heart, a head, hands, feet, navel, etc. After I forgot about them, all my chakras must have spun so fast that they interacted as one force no longer separate. My chi found one location and disappeared. I am being facetious, of course, but I was a person again and not a collection of symbolic parts with psychosomatic references.

I saw that once the wedge of "awareness," of hip-Gnosis, is set into the psyche from the Teachings, the road to manipulation by gurus opens wide. And how they savor it, to be able to drive into your psyche and perfect your soul, to fine tune every nuance and micro manage your flow of being The tolls had been paid by "experiences" that are often hypnotic: a successful vision quest, an ecstasy, a satori or samadhi, a hint of enlightenment to the impossible fact that you are not you, but much more, oh, so much more. You are, your heightened awareness tells you, a "perfect" being, but you do not know-tice it so well. You, oh unenlightened one, are living an illusion of the mundane self, suggests the enlightened guru. An example was G . I. Gurdjieff (died in 1949) who would have wanted me to "remember myself" by practicing "Self Remembering." I met many persons devoted to Gurdjieff (Fourth Wayers), for example, walking about in simulated depersonalized states, watching themselves go through life. The "higher Self" watching the "machine." Remote control anyone? Who's pushing the buttons anyway? Mr. G loved programming his VCRs (very conscious recruits). Many who submitted to G's will were once succesful in the arts and financially secure--but many did not end up that way. The quest for enlightenment can take a real toll. [read The Harmonious Circle by James Webb, 1987]

Date: November 25, 2011 06:29AM

part two of the essay

----------------
Happily, few people in self-serving cults achieve complete roboticism (those that do might already have a mental illness). Some exhibit stilted behaviors temporarily during meetings as they try to be perfect or enlightened. I have noticed that newer persons who "succeed" in such "schools" or "trainings" or "intensives" tend to become hyper vigilant and hypersensitive to their environment for some time thereafter. Seasoned seekers who attend many "consciousness raising" sessions tend to get jaded. They usually find something good to say about their "experience" anyway, that is, until they find another experience to talk about. Most seekers of higher consciousness accomplish only a pretense of being depersonalized and get tired of it, of pretending to be aware or "awakened." They stop going to workshops and "mystery schools" of enlightenment and begin raising their kids again.

My CUT experience was my main entry into what happens in guruland when thousands show up for a "mystery school" weekend workshop or conference. I have since (usually vicariously) experienced variations on that theme by studying what happens in other cults of guru devotion. Different groups with similar social interactions and effects. Much the same theme, but always a different kind of drag. I mean they dress differently, chant differently, gather money differently. They, the messengers of "dont you wish you could be as much of a Higher Self as I am," might do things differently too. I wanted to believe that my experience in CUT was different, but it only looked different.

Aesthetics vs Empiricism in Spiritual Pursuits
Every new spiritual group offers a different aesthetic. Nothing basically wrong with that. It is what makes them unique. If you wish to attract a separate following, it helps to be unique. Uniqueness seems to flow from the charismatic people who found the new religions, therapies, and cultic movements. The groups take on the character of the leader in many ways through language, dress, diet, information, relationship, ritual and goals. There are a host of psychological themes that shift inside of a person when they convert to the teachings of a charismatic leader. This is natural though it may upset outsiders who were once closer to the new recruit. Natural because many studies show that human beings generally adapt to the environmentssocial, psychological, or geographicalin which they find themselves (e.g., prison, foreign culture, new government), or to which they convert (religion, political party, therapeutic cult).

Conversion, it can be argued, is an exchange, an interaction between the manipulative recruiter and the receptive recruit. I italicize the attributes of these social players because our average perception of manipulation is negative. It leads to the perception of victimization of the recruit whose free choice is then jeopardized. However, social interaction is a system of influence and all influence works through some degree of manipulation. We buy a hat because someone tells us where to buy it and how "good" it is. Sometimes we do not even think of buying a hat until we are influenced to buy one. For example, in the early 1980s, the Santa Fe Style (I lived in Santa Fe at the time) became a stylistic and architectural fad. Eastern city dwellers bought more Stetson hats, turquoise jewelry, and western boots than ever before. More city apartments were decorated with Navaho blankets and Pueblo pottery than ever before. We change our aesthetics when we believe in something or learn to value it. We also do it because we "appreciate" new ways to define ourselves, new ways to renew ourselves.

Renewal, or "renovatio," as Mircea Eliade stated it in his fine essay on the modern craze for the occult and cultic groups (Occultism, Witchcraft and Cultural Fashions, 1976: 63), is a constantly recurring need in most people I know. Life does get stale sometimeswe only need to regard marriage, career, or clothing styles to notice this. Our spiritual milieu can also get stale, boring, or meaningless. As superficial as this might sound, the appearance and outer expression (the aesthetics) are vehicles that we depend on to carry the meaning of our spirituality, to remind us of the meaning we seek and believe. The fundamental Roman Catholic aesthetic is dictated from the Vatican, but variations and additions to aesthetic themes surrounding Catholic liturgy are not always modest throughout the world. Catholicism in India might look radically different from Catholicism in Vermont or Haiti, but the ritual of the Eucharist, however, should remain consistent. The historic Vatican II conferences (in the 1960s under Pope John XXIII) aimed for renewal of Catholicism. The fundamentals remained but some of the the aesthetics changed.

Some readers might dispute my use of aesthetic as a nounit is primarily an adjective that means "beautiful" or "pleasing." Nevertheless, aesthetics is the philosophy of "sense perception." For example, it leads Arturo B. Fallico to state, "...an aesthetics or philosophy of art must be part of a self-accounting (Art & Existentialism, 1962:164). The same author cites "The Logic of Schopenhauers Aesthetics" (IBID:56). It is tempting to launch into a discussion of existentialism and choice because it is central to the theme I am exploring here. Are we, as Sartre asserted, "condemned to be free." Are "all our decisions," as Fallico suggests, "like jumps off a cliffonly rumors and hearsay give [us] an idea of where [we] will land" (IBID:59)? Or, are we a part of an interactive whole, more determined and influenced than we like to admit?

Perhaps the existentialist and the socialist draw from the same realitywe participate in both philosophies on a complex spectrum of self expression. Let them debate it. I am concerned here with the reality that some people get caught up with interactions that they later regret, and for good reasons. Some new religious movements are, after all, deeply flawed or rotten at the core despite the wonderful (aesthetic) testimony of the devotees. We may be "condemned to be free," but we are often conditioned and trapped by the choices we make. We are trapped in the aesthetics we accept. Once we choose, we exclude other choices. The potential power of the aesthetics over a person is clearly indicated in extremist cults. People in these groups behave in social and existential islands, circumscribed by a totalist milieu. Closure. Psychological closure appears in marriages when one partner joins a cult. The partner outside of the cult might share meals, house, and bed with the one inside, but something is radically different. "It is like she walked through the mirror. I can see her, but shes not here anymore." It is as if the partner fell in love with someone else.

The "inside" partner often perceives the other as a mere minnow of consciousness trapped in a fishbowl of mundane desires and attachments to money, pleasure, and image, or, to a worn-out model of the universe, a dead religion. At best the insider perceives the partner as one with an "unevolved" consciousness. "She" might be sympathetic to her partners plight, but it is "his choice." Both partners might seek Truth, meaning, connection with the mysterious universe. Both might want self betterment and global healing. But the aesthetics, the "sense of perception," has radically changed one of them. The cultist does not mix easily in the outsiders milieu, especially in a marriage, unless he or she keeps the aesthetics in perspective. Aesthetics, the sense of perception, is indicative of the ultimate mystery we seek to approach, but it is not that. Even cult gurus tell us as much.

Theatrics

Another perspective that explains this "mind control" phenomenon or state comes when we analyze roles and identity formation. Human beings are especially adaptable to a wide variety of natural environments, diets, clothing and housing styles, social contracts and beliefs. Jobs, careers, technological advances and artistic expressions exhibit how radically distinct humans are from "other" animals. Humans can adapt to a wide variety of roles and can pretend to be in intricate ways someone who they are not. We give out Oscars for that talent in Hollywood award events. Our "spies" make a career of playing a role without ever receiving Oscars. When a spouse observes a radical departure in their mate after that mate has aligned with a high demand group [could be multi-level marketing, religious, political, self-help or therapy, martial arts] it appears that the person is "not the same." I often have heard such concerned spouses exclaim: It is like she is dead to me; He seems to be in a trance; She's become another person; It is like the person I knew has died; They walked through a mirror--I can see them but they are in another world.

They are in fact playing out a new role on a stage managed by group leaders and perhaps a guru. In these cases the stage is now reality, daring to drop the role and exit from the theater now becomes a major identity crisis if not spiritual suicide--there are heavy exit costs. Devotees of totalist groups commonly hear a version of : It would have been better that you had never heard of the Truth than to have heard and betrayed it . We find this ultimatum in the Christian testament. It begs the question: Is it the Truth we are betraying? Betrayal ostensibly invites harm, insanity, soul death, accidents and any number of suggested personal disasters. This is not to mention the intimate sense of shame one has to face for "choosing" a new identity that turns out to be not only false, but a really bad act---even totally ridiculous. You mean you actually believed in that crap--how could you have been so stupid! That threat of shame pain is enough to keep many people from even entertaining a doubt. Or, they may minimize the harm and call it a "learning experience" or some other euphemism. It is better to keep playing the role to some degree, the devotee thinks, even if it becomes obvious that the guru is flawed and the group is not so great socially speaking. Professor Benjamin Zablocki suggests this is where "brainwashing" actually takes effect when one begins the struggle to reject and exit. The exit costs trigger the heaviest "mind control" response. Investment of identity is a huge investment not to mention money, time and effort. How easy is it to say it was all for naught. Divorcing someone is tough enough, but then going back to that someone to say, "I made a big mistake" is another matter altogether. You can say, "I was not myself--I do not know what got into me." Sometimes even professional actors have difficulty removing themselves from their roles.

Bharati's Aesthetic
Confused? Perhaps Swami Agehananda Bharati (the former Leopold Fisher of Austria) can help. Bharati made a radical change as a teenager in Vienna when he chose to become a Hindu. That was in the late 1930s before he joined the Austrian military as part of the Indian contingent during the world war. Toward the end of the war he was captured along with the native Indians by the allied forceshe had so adapted to the Hindu languages and culture that the authorities took him for Hindu despite his Germanic appearance. Talk about aesthetics! Bharati did talk about aesthetics in his autobiography, The Ochre Robe (Ross-Erickson, 1980).

For me, he made a key point that can help all of us to comprehend what we do when we convert to a belief system. His life is instructive because he was born into a Christian jati, his varna was Caucasian white, not Brahmin tan, yet he somehow "legitimately" became an authentic swami in the highly exclusive world of Hindu caste. Two years after the war Leopold Fisher moved to India. He first joined an ashram founded by the radical, nineteenth century Hindu saint, Ramakrishna, for a year after he arrived in India. He tired of the ashrams pretensions and sought out the more traditional order of devotees of the Hindu saint Shankara (788-820 AD).

Eventually, by his erudition and pious behavior, Bharati convinced a legitimate swami to initiate him into the order. The swami knew full well that most orthodox Hindus would automatically reject this bold Austrian who would flaunt the Vedic rule of birth. He was born outside of the "twice-born" castes, therefore he could not be a monk inside of a twice-born caste. Fisher would have to convince his swami peers of his authenticity, and he did it eloquently in later years. He taught clearly in several dialects throughout India over a decade. Hindus do make exceptions and the Vedas accommodate a wide spectrum of approaches. Bharati once testified in a US court that the Hare Krishnas were violating the sacred rite of Sankirtan (communal chanting, singing and dancing in honor of God) with their fundraising schemes by the same name. At the end of his life he was a professor at Syracuse University in New York, yet maintaining his swami vows.

Bharati contends that the path he took was ethically neutral."t was neither good nor bad, because choice of this nature is aesthetic [my emphasis] and not ethical" (The Ochre Robe, 1980:78). As a Hindu Bharati could be both a "secular humanist" and a monk. The Vedic tradition allows for a host of derivative positions within the Sanatana Dharma (the eternal, imperishable tradition) of Hinduism. Polytheists, atheists, and theists strive together under the same banner, unlike under the strict orthodoxy of the three great monotheistic religions. Bharati distinguished between "value" and "truth:" "....value in the ethical or aesthetic sense does not mean truth or validity" (IBID:79). Logical by most religious standards, Bharati valued belief, but he had a harsh standard for trutha standard that would please most skeptics.

"Truth must be obtained by other means: by investigation, by discursive thought, by comparison, by an exchange of ideas, by strict and uncompromising tests with objective criteriaby logical, experimental or documentary proof" (IBID).

And this is the primary confusion of so many people caught up in cult behaviors, the confusion of their aesthetic worlds with the empirical one. Proof that God exists is not available to us if we accept the definition of God as infinite, ineffable, almighty, and eternal. We can only approach sacred mysteries through metaphorical beliefs, perhaps supported by rituals and doctrines. Our "experience" of spiritual realms remains aesthetic, no matter how real it "is" to us. It remains a perception albeit one that we value highly. This is shaky ground for a fundamentalist in any religion (and I include fundamentalist New Agers who believe in certain "truths" from aura reading, space aliens or astrology, for example) who equates his beliefs with testable truth.

Bharatis distinction between aesthetic and empirical is the sane, democratic alternative to the unholy, destructive marriage called "occult science." Bharati argues vehemently that there is no such thing as yogic science or a "scientific Hinduism." There is only a yogic "method" or a system of Hindu beliefs, codes, rituals and mythologies. By the same reasoning there is no Christian science, divine science, science of the soul, or sacred science. The CUT teachings encouraged me to believe that occult science was approachableas if it existed. The unholy marriage of those two realms leaves no room for discursive thought or healthy doubt. The occultist dares not challenge the Ancient Wisdom, unless, of course, he is the one making it up. It is too powerful. His motto is To Know, To Dare, To Do, and To Be Silent. The "Silent" part generally means dont talk about your unprovable axioms and magical experiences to skeptics or perceived enemies.

Viewing a belief system as necessarily aesthetic removes the pressure of absolutism and the potential evil of totalism as an option for the believer. It allows for more lateral thinking and testing, and it avoids the manipulative relationship with "sacred science" from "above." Joel Kramer and Diana Alstad argue at length against authoritarian guruism for precisely this reason in The Guru Papers: Masks of Authoritarian Power (Frog, Ltd. 1993). When a devotee perceives a guru as someone who has "transcended" normal human consciousness, as someone who has transcended the dualism of "good and evil," who has "Self-realized" to the point of "oneness" with the divine source, that devotee is prime material for manipulation. It works like this: By recognizing the enlightened status of the guru, the devotee asserts an ability to recognize an enlightened being, thus elevating his or her status on the ladder of spiritual progress.

"How convenient," exclaims Church Lady! This convenience is a relationship now removed from any grounding in critical attention. "Fear and Doubt" are now your demons. "Do not listen to them," says the cult guru. Once the devotee steps off the ground to get on the spiritual ladder under the guru, her or his only option is up. "It is better that you had never stepped onto the path than to ever betray it once you have" is a universal axiom within both guruism and occultism. The suggestion is that it is a long way down and that you will get hurtmadness, suicide, accident, or thousands of lifetimes in karmic oblivion await you if you dare step down. Another suggestion is that the guru can protect you from all of that if you remain loyal. But guess whos always in the way to a direct relationship with the sacred? Guess who will not let you surpass them? This same conundrum exists in Christian cults of "discipling." The International Churches of Christ (unrelated to the mainline Church of Christ) under Kip McKean have been one the prime offenders in this area of authoritarian discipling, but there are many others. In these cases, the disciple is constantly under the discipler (guru) in his or her contrived relationship with God.

Whether it is Jesus or another sacred spirit that the devotee worships, it behooves that person to remember the democratic principle of aesthetics in spiritual matters suggested by Bharati. Regarding this ultimate sacred spirit or spaceif either exists at all is a moot point, according to Bharatiwe are all hampered by a mysterious relationship with it. There is no way to prove and replicate to everyones satisfaction that ascension to heaven, nirvana, or angels happen or exist. Science, by definition and domain, is purely a human activity through which we learn to better understand and manipulate "created" things. We can prove and replicate to everyones (those educated enough to notice) satisfaction that smallpox inoculation or satellite transmission work. We cannot prove scientifically that astrological divinationthe highly subjective art of interpretation of magical stellar motion and influenceworks. We may create new things, but we did not create the source materials that come from a nirvana or a heaven. That creation source remains a mystery.

Creation is the art and science of God, if you will. Source Mystery, if you will not. When we practice good, honest science (not the pretend, occult kind) we are sympathetic with the "science" of the Creator or Source. When we practice good art, we are sympathetic with the "art" of that same source. When we claim that our art is science, as do many astrologers and alternative healers, we witlessly pretend. Whatever we choose to practice we must remember, that even our gurus (or scientists) are so far removed from this "source" or God, that their "superior" progress up the spiritual ladder is negligible, if it is there at all. If you are under one, then they must be sitting on you. What a burden. Stepping off and getting on with your life (your own, clear ladder to God or Source) is really no big deal, but the illusion of having gone very "high" and getting hurt from the "fall" is both seductive and a very big deal. That illusion is called "cult mind control."

A few New Age authors recognize this democratic principle behind healthy spiritual pursuit. Ken Wilber (now discredited--WIlber is anything but democratic--Corboy but Szimhert could not have known how far Wilber would go off the rails) calls it Eye to Eye (Shambhala, 1990) in a book by that title. What makes Wilber "New Age," despite his eschewing all the magical nonsense that falls under that category, is his continuing obsession to define "consciousness." The subtitle of Eye to Eye is The Quest for the New Paradigm. On the back book cover it states: "Ken Wilber is credited with developing a unified field theory of consciousness..." Okay...maybe. In any case, Wilber does distinguish between the domains I mentioned, the aesthetic from the empirical. In his words: "To give a simple example, there is no empirical-scientific proof for the meaning of Hamlet [Shakespeares drama]. It is a mental-symbolic production and can thus be understood or apprehended only by a mental act sensory evidence is almost entirely worthless" (Wilber, 1990:48). The author is careful, like Bharati, to give science its proper domain without confusing it with other realms of the aesthetic domain. I say "realms" because Wilber has a propensity to subdivide consciousness of non-physical reality into numerous, derivative categories. By example, he posits nine levels above the physical: "Sensoriperceptual, Emotional-Sexual, Phantasmic, Rep-mind, Rule/Role mind, Reflexive-Formal Mind, Vision-Logic, Subtle, and Causal" (IBID:285).

I read the book and I still do not know exactly what he is talking about so don't ask me to explain his "hierarchy" of consciousness, but I do know that he derives his metaphysical aesthetic (not science) from psychologists, philosophers, Hinduism, Buddhism and one controversial guru who keeps changing his name. This hierarchy is Wilber's pallet with which he tries to paint a picture of our reality. Some people appreciate it. We might all recognize his talent, namely, his erudition, his honesty, his flexibility, his accuracy (where it applies), and his openness to scrutiny. In these he remains superior to Adi Da, or the guru-that-keeps-changing-his-name, although the guru might dispute it. That guru "sits" on his devotees on the spiritual ladder below. Former devotees observed that the guru has literally [measurable by science] "shit" on selected aspirants when Consciousness so moved him. He is "God." The devotees job in that cult of guru devotion is to transcend the gurus shit and meet "God." But all he gets is the guru. If you believe that your guru would never do such a thing, think of your position on the ladder.

In Christian circles the great leveler of guruism, or the discipling movements, is the Gospel itself. Jesus is quoted as teaching his disciples:

"As for you, do not be called Rabbi. You have but one teacher, and you are all brothers. Call no one on earth your father; you have but one Father in heaven. Do not be called Master; you have but one master, the Messiah. The greatest among you must be your servant. Whoever exalts himself will be humbled; but whoever humbles himself will be exalted" (Matthew 23:8-12).

Jesus is not railing against using Rabbi or father to address a pious man or scholar; he is condemning the false spirit that some men and women endorse when they exalt anyone human to divine status. The controversy over Jesus being the exception is cleared up when we realize that his fullness as "God" was not firmly recognized (spoken and later written as the gospel) by early Christians until after he died and "ascended" to "sit at the right hand of the Father." Until his death Jesus lived as a "servant" and an itinerant minister. He taught a challenging doctrine. More specifically, the disciples full recognition of Jesus as "God" occurred during the charismatic descension of the Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost. That mystical event converted the fearful disciples into bold preachers. This was the baptism of fire (spirit) predicted by John the Baptist, and later by Jesus just prior to his ascension. Christians derive their aesthetics from events like the Pentecost gathering.

Lest anyone think that I am dissing all of guruism in any religion, I am not. Bharati clearly notes that rogues exist among the Indian swamis in great numbers. He implies that some monks are great souls with high ethical values. Most Hindu monks are probably no worse or better than religious ministers in any religion from the secular standpoint. It is a sad tribute to eastern religions that so many flawed gurus have created cults around themselves in the west. Sadder still are the cults that have formed around western borngurus appropriating the eastern "godman" status without the ethics, morals and training that saintly teachers uphold. Stories from disenchanted devotees about bad gurus are legion.

Positively Speaking
What, then, is a good guru? If you follow my metaphor of the ladder to heaven, then the good guru is one who helps you get on your ladder and steps aside. I am talking about spiritual matters, not scientific or empirical, not factual or behavioralI am not speaking about the mundane world where we might be "under the thumb" of a strict professor, corporate executive or military ruler. With the "grounded" guru conversation or teaching takes place only on the ground between "brothers" and "sisters," not between guru and chela (literally, "slave"). Between the guru and the chela model the mundane model of a military chain-of-command is grossly transferred from realms that the guru can only pretend to know and experience. A confident pretense or an artful presentation fools many devotees, especially those prone to mystical "experiences."

The hierarchy of rungs is universally the same for you as anyone else, and the universality includes the psychopathic guru. Once on the ladder, as far as we can humanly tell, we are on our own, so to speak, now in a relationship with the ineffable. The most common expression of this experience of the sacred is: "I have no words." But we do have metaphors made up of words and images that communicate what we think was going on. Note all the angel and out-of-body experience tales that are on bookstore shelves these days.

An atheist or hardened skeptic might argue that the ladder, the metaphors, or the images are constructs of the mind that have other explanations, even scientific ones. However, if you make the claim, show me the evidence so I can test it. No evidence? Then I assume you are speaking aesthetically, not empirically. The argument cuts both ways into both skeptical opinions and occult axioms. A Buddhist might agree that the ladder is a mental construct. So might a Hindu, especially those that follow the advaita (non-dualist) philosophies. Swami Bharati said as much also. His position, as I stated before, treats the debate about what is more real, the metaphysical or the physical, as moot. Bharati acknowledges the debate only, but does not take sides. To him it does not matter.

Bharati's position is a variation on Blaise Pascal's famous Wager for his skeptic friends: It is better to believe in God just in case He does exist; if He does not, it will not make much difference [paraphrased]. To Bharati it makes some difference because we must choose to live our lives some way, even if we choose not to choose and flow with the status quo. He chose Hinduism because the "style" suited him. He liked the archaic traditions, the cacophony of deities, the languages, and the scope of philosophy that Hinduism affords the monk. In a simplistic sense, he was like the art aficionado who sees a painting and buys it just because he likes it. The elegance with which he later came to understand and experience his "purchase" speaks both of his richness of being as it does of the richness of the Hindu aesthetic. He did not get trapped below a guru for life. His guru was Shiva, the "high God" of his order. Whether Shiva, Allah, or Yahweh, Bharati argued that in the end it is only the "high God" who knows whether a monk is truly worthy. The ladder, after all, is only a symbol of our effort, a metaphor that only God can understand perfectly, but one that we can change and refine on our journeys home.

Some extra reading:
One intriguing example of a good guru is the fictional character of "Naga Baba" created by Gita Mehta (1993) in her beautiful story of the paradoxical Indian tradition, A River Sutra (Doubleday). It is a wonderful counterpoint to her witty Karma Cola (1979, Simon & Schuster).

For more on Blavatsky see K. Paul Johnson. (1994) The Masters Revealed: Madame Blavatsky & the Myth of the Great White Lodge. SUNY Press.

Jeffrey M. Masson (1993) weaves a great autobiographical account of the subtle, insidous control guru Paul Brunton wielded over his family in My Father's Guru: A Journey Through Spirituality and Disillusion. Addison-Wesley.

Flavil R. Yeakley, Jr. (1988) researched and edited The Discipling Dilemma (Gospel Advocate, Co.). He analyses how Christian guruism or "discipling" has adverse effects on personality development.

Joe Szimhart

Except where noted, entire contents Copyright 1996, 1998, 2002, 2003, 2011.Joseph P. Szimhart

[/quote]

[webcache.googleusercontent.com]

Date: November 28, 2011 12:27AM

...there’s that peculiar alliance between occultism and the right, because the right at the time was all about elitism, about the need for a small group that could control the wild masses, and that slotted in very well with occult thinking, which was all about special powers and secret groups of initiates. It’s not occult if everybody knows about it, after all.

and

Religious mysticism has never been incompatible with ethnic or religious hatred; the Byzantine eremites and stylites, for instance, would often spout the vilest anti-Semitic bilge from their caves and pillars.

It’s a little like the Tom Lehrer lines from National Brotherhood Week–”the Catholics hate the Protestants, and the Protestants hate the Catholics, and the Hindus hate the Muslims, and everybody hates the Jews.”

There wasn’t, of course, any native tradition of anti-Semitism in the Asian religions that fascinated Ungern, but he saw them through the lens of the European occult heritage, which has a long and ugly streak of anti-Semitism in it; it’s all over Blavatsky and Aleister Crowley, for instance.

This is partially the common-or-garden prejudice of Europe, at the time, and partially because of the obsession with conspiracies and secret powers, which lent itself well to anti-Jewish paranoia and fantasies of ritual murder, especially when you had material like the “Protocols (of the Elders of Zion)” being produced.

If you look at the popularity of The Da Vinci Code today, it’s the same phenomenon, only with Catholicism swapped out for Judaism (tapping on a very old and nasty legacy of fantasies about Catholicism in Protestant countries, but that’s another issue.)

The occult tradition also misappropriated several Jewish traditions, like qabala, and so, I think, there was some kind of need to discredit the people they’d stolen from.

[webcache.googleusercontent.com]

Posted by: grainne uaile ()
Date: November 29, 2011 08:35PM

Judy,

It isn't just a new age concept that whatever happens to you is your fault, it is found in Hinduism and Buddhism, where they actually found it. It comes from the law of karma. I also grew tired of this belief. If someone was suffering, the Buddhists would say, It is their karma, and it would feel like I was supposed to just brush off their suffering since it was their fault. It felt like people could just ignore suffering to a big degree by saying these things.

Yet some things in the New Age actually helped me, such as reading this: "It is your thoughts that depress you and not the other way around." I had been severly depressed for 12 years or so, and I began using positive thinking to get rid of my depression, and it worked. I think positive thinking does wonders. Even Norman Vincent Peale has a book on positive thinking.

Can it heal disease? Yes, in some cases. After all Norman Cousins used laughter to cure himself. I think he sat and watched comedies all day long. Does everyone who does this get a healing? I doubt it. Why? I don't know. But is it your fault? I doubt it.

But there is a doctor who wrote a book about negative and positive thinking in regards to brian waves: Dr. Andrew Newman, and actually he wrote a few books on meditation and brain waves and how your thoughts are affected by them.

New Age thought is not all bad, but when they tell you it is all your fault, I draw the line. That is a negative thought that makes a person actually depressed. I would rather they said, Try it, and if it doesn't work, try something else.

As for myself, I can't stand the usage of the word karma as it is used much like how the Christian use the word, Hell. If you do this it is bad karma, etc. I can't stand the use of the words, it is your fault, and I have noticed that they don't actually say this, but it is implied.

Posted by: Stoic ()
Date: November 29, 2011 09:58PM

When something is 'implied'--does the implication come from the speaker or from the hearer?

I know that I put my own spin on what I hear, based on what I already think I know and understand because it is already in my memory banks.
It is often quite startlingly different from what the speaker intends to convey--assuming that you can get a truthful answer out of him when you question him.

I chose my teacher on the basis of a split-second realisation, not quite hairs standing up on the back of my neck but close, that I couldn't manipulate this man and it would be extremely foolish to try--so I didn't bother.

It was weird, as I of course manipulate my way through life like everyone else. I just knew instantly that this guy was a whole lot better at it than me and that was before he spoke a word of broken English.

Its easy to label this transference or self-fulfilling expectations, except that I never saw him put a foot wrong in three years, and being hyper-vigilant I pick up on that stuff.
He was just so awesomely disciplined in his behaviour that it had become second nature to him. It was all about the behaviour and not about concepts at all. The concepts, necessary at the beginning, get thrown out eventually because they take up too much time and thought.

There's a buddha story about using a raft to cross a river, once you're over it and on dry land you don't need to keep lugging the raft along.

I think I got lucky in my choice--at least it suited me and my particular needs at the time, and there is no way he could have known what my particular needs were--except that they were a common facet of human nature.
I have never come across anyone else, in the flesh, who is anything like as behaviourly astute as he was.

Date: December 01, 2011 01:38AM

How the New Age Cultic Milieu is a Great Hideout

A Serbian psychiatrist accused of major war crimes hid for years, disguising his identity as a New Age healer.

Its a set up where people are socialized to take everything and everyone on faith and never fact check. Boom. This guy hid out and evaded an international man hunt for years by hiding in a New Age milieu.

[www.google.com]

Posted by: Stoic ()
Date: December 01, 2011 03:17AM

He had a fair bit of help from supporters in high places also--which rapidly dissipated, allowing his prompt capture when membership of the EEC became a possibility--membership that is now turning into a bit of a poisoned financial chalice for some.
Seems that the security services knew where he was all along.

Not to detract from your point though, some of his patients found him to be a very good alt med practitioner and failed to recognise him at all, though his face must have been the most recognisable in the country to every citizen.

Date: December 06, 2011 08:25AM

A Proper Understanding of Narcissism

In the toxic New Age and Dharma Lite scene, many angry leaders love to use the term narcissism and narcissistic as clubs to batter their scapegoats and critics with--even when these persons have zero training in clinical psychology and lack the altruism and emotional steadiness needed to use such terminology accurately and---responsibly.

There is an important distinction between narcissistic personality disorder and narcissistic behavior disorder.

In NPD, one feels emptiness, but in NBD the person goes so far as to use/abuse other people as objects to self soothe or self repair. In one of the citations NBD is characterized by "

These days Narcissist and Narcissism are flung about.

Each of us has a tinge of narcisisistic personality wounding...none of us has ever had a 100% trauma free upbringing.

But Narcissistic Behavior Disorder " characterized by perverse, antisocial, and addictive behaviors" is very much more grave--one is using and abusing people as objects and leaving a trail of wreckage in one's wake.

The constant quest of a cult leader for new fresh recruits can be seen as similar to an addicts' drug seeking behavior.

[www.google.com]

Note: It is very important to put "Kohut" into the search citation because he continued to study this issue for years and refined his understanding to see that a distinction had to be made between narcissistic personality disorder and narcissistic behavior disorder.

Current Page: 28 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.