Alpha?
Posted by: Cosmophilospher ()
Date: July 03, 2004 10:50AM

Saw a huge billboard for these guys today.
It smells suspicious to me.
[www.alphacanada.org]

They sure look super-happy!
[www.alphacanada.org]

Its a "free course" but they do ask for a donation, and they have a "weekend away". Sounds to me like "bait".

Become "fishers of men"...

Anyone hear of this one?

Coz

Options: ReplyQuote
Alpha?
Posted by: Auggie ()
Date: July 03, 2004 09:00PM

I've heard about it from a few friends about a year ago. Many churches from many denominations use it. I haven't heard anything cultish about it. There are those in the christian community who disagree with it because of its interpetation of the bible though.

Alpha?
Posted by: Concerned Oz ()
Date: July 10, 2004 02:04PM

Hi Coz,
Alpha is an introductory programme on Mainstream Christianity pitched to people who may not know allot about Christianity. Its format is ecumenical, being that it does not concentrate on any one particular donomination's teaching. The programme is a "kit" purchased from Holy Trinity Church Brompton, (London), which can be run by any church group. I understand that Alpha has run in 19,000 christian churches throughout the world, including Anglican, Catholic and Baptist over North America, Australia and Europe including England.

It consists of 14 talks on video of 45 minutes duration spread over 11 weeks. Typically each weeknight commences with a meal at 7:30pm, Video at 8:00pm, Tea break, Group discussion at 8:50pm, Close at 9:30pm. After each talk, small groups are formed to discuss the talk. The prompts for discussion of the video are:
What do you think about this topic?
What do you feel?
The gorup discussions are in no way directional. Group leaders may only ask questions and are not permitted to lecture.

The weekend is not a compulsory part of the course. An alternative is a 45 minute talk on the Friday Night with a Saturday running from 10:00am to 3:30pm. How this part of the course is run is left to the church running the programme.

As regard to cost, There is the meal, cost of video tapes at about $200 and a booklet at $6 each. This is usually funded through donations or can be absorbed by the church funds. For a typical group of 50 people, this comes out to be very inexpensive.

The teachings of Alpha are mainstream and definately not fundamental. I have done the course at my local Catholic Church and found it a bit "light" in regard to it's teachings but worthwhile for those investigating Christianity. Our Church has run 5 Alphas in the last 3 years. our first consisted of 80 people while the last 4 I believe ranged between 30 to 40 people.

I agree with Auggie - there is nothing cultish here. No sleep deprivation, adoration of leaders, coercive tactics, no follow up etc.

I cannot vouch for how each independent church runs their Alpha Course nor can I vouch for how Holy Trinty runs their course.

Hope this helps.
Oz

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.