Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Music is a gateway to cults
Posted by: richardmgreen ()
Date: February 03, 2003 07:53AM

So, in the mid 70's I got pumped up on Jewish music. And it wasn't just Shlomo Carlebach. I had a pretty good collection:
Modzitz, Mordechai Ben David, Rabbis Sons, Negina Orchestra, Kransler, etc.. Endless songs of how great it is to be in Jerusalem , etc.. Then I went there. Just read the postings on this site about how "great" it really was. Bedbugs, skin sores, poverty, loads of mosquitos.
You know, I weightlift. I had a bench press custom made up in Lod city. I was lifting over 300 lbs on it and it snapped. I could have gotten killed. I'm really lucky I'm still alive.
And when I had the bench made up the welder was complaining, "oy, it takes so many tools, so much work etc..." I should have bought a ready made one. Everyone wants me to sympathize with their plight, but they really didn't give me my money's worth. Not in my case.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jobo Pooks ()
Date: February 03, 2003 07:24PM

:wink:

Posted by: Hope ()
Date: February 03, 2003 09:58PM

Yes, I'm a bit confused as to why the things mentioned above need to have warnings attached. Facials, drumming ceremonies, club techno music and even Ecstasy are not being slipped in on the sly. People tend to want to get into these states. It sounds like you got a lot of bang for your buck on the facial. I give shiatsu facial massage for a Japanese cosmetics company, in a private spa room in a department store. Our "relaxing music" is muzak that is piped in at a very low level. Our customers report the feeling of having had their entire body massaged afterwards.

One of the reasons congregations sing hymns together is, aside from worship, to bring a sense of community as well as elation. Group singing is even used at sales conventions. I used to sell Mary Kay Cosmetics and we sang dopey little songs and even had some kind of Mary Kay anthem (that organization was accused of being a cult, too). The rhythm and intake of oxygen along with the words work to provide this feeling. It's hard to think of one's problems when singing together. The mind is purposely freed up to let in the sacred spirit or messages of whatever greater being one may be calling on.

Music therefore can be used as a tool to build community within a cult, just like it can be used in a number of other organizations. One has to look at the goals of the group in which music is used and how it is being used.

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: February 04, 2003 02:03AM

the group are 'where the action is'. You have to look past the beauty of the music, the dancing, and see exactly what that beauty is serving. Beauty can serve a deceitful, ugly agenda. It takes great discipline to retain discriminating intellect when you're being blissed out and swept off your feet by ravishing music. But, if you value your liberty, you must be willing to stay sober, even in relation to beauty, just as you have the responsibility of being sober before you drive a car.

So music can easily be used as a way to trance out. However, it is one thing if a lone individual or family chooses to do this. It is quite another matter when a crooked minister or cult leader is out to make a fast buck, quests for personal power and intentionally scripts a group experience or church service so as to exploit trance inducing music and cause people to regress and give their power away.

Anyone who knows that they are easily subject to trance/dissociation should choose their music with care.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.