More About Jewish Outreach and BT Movement
Posted by: richardmgreen ()
Date: September 29, 2007 02:53AM

It seems that most Conservative and Reform Jews have a worked out theory about why they are affiliated with those movements and not the Orthodoxy. In my family, that wasn' t the case.
My parents always thought they "were doing the best they could" and they had issues with the fact that my father grew up in his mother's Orthodox home. My paternal grandmother repeatedly attacked my father over his "lack of religiosity".
It also seems that my mother was educated by Chabad too as I was in my first Hebrew School. My Mom had a book published by Kehot about Chanukah. I mentioned this elsewhere. Kehot is part of Chabad's publishing arm.
In that book, it is stated how "even little children just like yourselves were willing to sacrifice their lives for this pure, holy religion. And then Chabad higher ups informed me that Chabad's doctrines aren't the EMES.
My maternal grandmother was in awe of "the religious". I don't know exactly what my grandfather thought but I know he didn't l like the way the orthodox dressed or even the way they drove cars.
It seems that Chabad was doing outreach even in my parent's generation to "wayward souls".
Years ago, I was in West Side Judaica on the upper west side of NYC not too far from the Carlebach Shul. I skim read a book which categorized people as being "lost" etc. who left the orthodoxy. They had quite a few classifications for people in that book and got into labeling everything.
I think even more research needs to be done vis a vis the BT movement, Shlomo Carlebach (he was Chabad's first emmisary along with Rabbi Zalman Schachter.) By the way Zalman was a really wild guy and he used LSD.
Shlomo was good friends with Timothy Leary the "High Priest of LSD." Shlomo was raving on a video I had of him how Leary used to listen to his records on LSD. Shlomo's comment was that you couldn't listen to "straight music on the drug". Can anyone add to this discussion?

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.