$cientology Professor update
Posted by: suemarie ()
Date: March 05, 2004 01:48AM

hello there, I posted a month ago about a teacher at a local college who was pushing Scientology on his students. He's also into another program : [www.rainbowspirit.com.au]

I was dismissed from class yesterday for questioning the literature from Avatar, whether it was appropriate for the classroom. He told me to "Get Out!" when I challenged him. He said I would have to meet with him before he'd allow me back.

I talked to the Dean of Humanities, who said it was an academic freedom issue. The Dean could talk to the teacher about it and recommend changes, but couldn't force him to do anything.

Thanks to all of you who responded. It was very reassuring. I wasn't sure if the Prof was whacked, or I was.
(i was in a cult as a kid, and have issues, so i'm whacked too).
best wishes, sue

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cosmophilospher ()
Date: March 05, 2004 09:17AM

Yes, that nutty academic freedom bytes both ways.
No worries, the world is full of wacked out cultists and nutty professors, yet the world keeps on spinning.
Never surrender.

Coz

Date: March 05, 2004 12:00PM

hey thanks Cosmo. I'll never surrender!!

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: March 05, 2004 12:05PM

including Avatar.

[perso.wanadoo.fr]

You have to scroll down a long time to the bottom to 'other programs' and there you'll reach Avatar

You can also go to Google and put 'eldon' into one slot and 'avatar' into another slot and get lots and lots o' stuff.

The psychology department at your school is being threatened with something that will rob it of scientific and academic credibility. If you dont get support from your faculty, talk to some academics outside your institution and perhaps talk to the American Psychological Association. Crap like this could threaten the accreditation status of that department.

Posted by: Cosmophilospher ()
Date: March 05, 2004 02:26PM

Profs are doing all sorts of crackpot stuff all over the place in the name of academic freedom, and they will continue to do so.
I hate to be blunt here, but last time i checked, those groups they are promoting are legal.

Academic freedom, and freedom of speech, freedom of religion, and freedom of association are very tricky things. They actually apply most to those who's ideas we disagree with, and even abhor.

I despise what they are saying and doing, and will always criticize them openly, but they have the right to say it.
Who is going to police ideas?
The Thought Police?
The price for freedom of thought is extremely high.

Coz

Date: March 05, 2004 02:38PM

I'm gonna be up all night reading these! I'm shocked and appalled that this is presented in a college course. Just when I think it couldn't get any worse, it does.

Great reference corboy. You're a prince. -sue

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.