Posted by: sinsaregone ()
Date: July 12, 2007 07:17AM

It feels good to say that ! & mean it ! :D :D :D

Options: ReplyQuote
UPCI is GREAT
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: July 12, 2007 08:32PM

To whom it may concern:

The UPCI is a controversial religious movement with a deeply troubled history.

See [www.culteducation.com]

Former members have sued UPCI pastors claiming abuse.

UPCI pastors have little if any meaningful accountability to their congregations through democratically elected boards that can discipline and/or fire them and through independently audited financial statements that report in detail how the pastors use church tithes.

Each UPCI church is something like a little kingdom, ruled over by an authoritarian pastor.

The UPCI is known for its belief in the so-called "oneness" doctrine that denounces the doctrine of the trinity and condemns Christian churches that accempt the trinity as "pagans."

The UPCI also believes that baptism is necessary for salvation.

See [www.culteducation.com]

This is not a mainstream Christian belief, but UPCI leaders insist that those who are not baptized in "Jesus name only" under its teaching cannot enter heaven. They attempt to prove this by citing certain bible verses, which are reviewed through the link above.

The UPCI is also known for its "holiness standards," which includes a rigid dress code and rules regarding hair (women cannot cut their hair, men must have short conservative haircuts and remain cleanshaven). Wearing jewelry and using make-up is also prohibited.

The overwhelming majority of Christians reject UPCI doctrines and the organization has been described as "heretical," "legalistic" and "cult-like."

Though the UPCI calls itself "Pentecostal" it does not fellowship typically with Pentecostal churches, such as the largest Pentecostal denomination the Assemblies of God.

UPCI is GREAT
Date: July 16, 2007 12:07AM

I know I am a minority on this message board, but even the Children Of Israel thrived as a minority.
Just remember it's the opposition/resistance that produces growth.
Thanks for allowing free speech & my facts on this board.

UPCI is GREAT
Posted by: Mark Scheiderer ()
Date: July 16, 2007 02:57AM

Sorry, but there's no subtle way to phrase this question:

Why are so many UPC members overweight?
I'm not talking a few extra pounds, I'm talking HUGE, as in 300 - 600 pounds?
This is a based on people that I know and have heard about through relatives of members.
I'm not posting this to be rude. I just want to know why.

Mark

UPCI is GREAT
Date: July 16, 2007 12:36PM

Well I'm 44yrs old, 5'8" & 165 & FULL BLEED Pentecost. UPCI if you please & proud of it. Please realize that America as a whole now considers obesity a disease, so let's not single out a certain Godly group of people. It's all over America.

Ok here's the weight dill....I share some of your feelings, but let's say it like this: When you cater so strongly to the Spirit Of God, your fleshly body just sometimes gets treated like a stepchild. After all I think the Spirit will outlive the flesh anyway, right ?

Oh yeah The JESUS NAME Baptism dill. That's a given, & very backed up by scripture. Maybe if you can't understand scripture I will break it down for you. If I want to be in JESUS's family, I MUST take his name.Hmmm
Why on earth would anyone not like JESUS name ?? It's my choice, no one makes me do any thing. I choose to obey scripture. Some people grow bitter & create large websites & forums to vent their bitterness. So thanks for allowing me to set the record straight. If you love your master you just don't want to go FREE.

UPCI is GREAT
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: July 16, 2007 08:59PM

sinsaregone:

Please refrain from preaching here, which is against the rules that you agreed to before becoming a member of this board.

UPCI is GREAT
Posted by: Jannski ()
Date: July 17, 2007 03:08AM

I grew up in the UPC. My dad pastored a church and is still licensed. I'm a former member and now go to a more main stream Christian church which has created challenges with my family. ...but I wanted to let you know I'm speaking from experience. :)

To Mark: It would be a stretch to say most members of the UPC are overweight. However, probably the reason many are... and they probably have a higher percentage then in most groups is because (in my 22 years of experience) almost all church sanctioned entertainment revolves around eating. The body can only take so much of that without exercise... and many do not choose to exercise.

To Sins: I'm going to try to be as kind as I possibly can in saying this... because I'm truly trying to help... and feel no malice at all toward you. I'll preface this by saying even though I am former UPC, I'm not anti-UPC in any way shape or form. There are many I love and respect in that organization... and many who I do not respect (same as any large group of people.).

You might want to think about what you're accomplishing by coming on a board like this and appearing basically like you want nothing more than to display an in your face starting arguments attitude on the basis of "bleeding Pentecostal". ...whatever that means. I would bet to most people reading this board they read your post and say, "uh huh... another brain-washed cult member." You may read what I've written and dismiss it by saying, "Oh well, I'm being persecuted for Jesus." The truth is people here don't respect what you have to say because you don't respect what they have to say and respond or listen to any of it. You're simply ignoring them. My unasked for advice is if you truly don't have anything constructive to respond with then you're probably doing less harm if you sit back and wait until you do.

UPCI is GREAT
Date: July 17, 2007 07:20AM

Ok, Thanks Rick for keeping me in line.
Hey Jannski, I understand your point. I will try to do better.

In kindness, The "full bleed" slang was meaning I am UPC Pentecost through & through. Maybe it sounded too strong. I've just been what I am all my life by choice & am just so convinced.

But really, on the weight dill, I have been selling health insurance for several years & I see first hand many people that are very overweight & not many of them are even christians, so I hold my stand on the weight because I see it every day. But I do agree with you somewhat on the fellowship/eating. But I'm sure if we were perfectly fit vegetarians we would still not be perfect.

Ok so everyone have a good evening for now.

UPCI is GREAT
Posted by: Jannski ()
Date: July 17, 2007 11:18AM

I agree with your point on weight actually Sins... I mean... it's a national epedemic really... not just a UPC one.

I think maybe it appears on the surface that more in the UPC are because a lot of the preachers are... and they're the guys up front. (Not all by ANY stretch of the imagination.)

...and no, weight doesn't indicate perfection in any way either. ...but it's a good idea to be healthy and take care of our bodies since it's the only one we get on this earth. :)

...and I have to admit you totally surprised me with your response to me... and I respect that a lot.

UPCI is GREAT
Posted by: Dijital Biship ()
Date: July 25, 2007 09:46PM

interestingly enough, the very pride you have in being UPCI is one of the hints of trouble with the Oneness Pentecostal faith. It shows the separation from the rest of the body of Christ that is typical of the oneness pentecostal movement.

In Oneness Pentecostalism, you'll find as many songs about being a oneness pentecostal as you will about God Himself.

Another problem with the UPCI is the breakdown of theology concerning the Godhead. It's overt errors and denial of distinction should be a cause for alarm within it's adherents... But it is not. Why? Because they are so thrilled about themselves biblical adherence is actually not as high on the list as perhaps its should be.

Several problems exist:
Misinterpreted view of the Godhead
Denial of saved by Faith for salvation
Skewed views of holiness, and legalism concerning dress standards

While I notice the board does not label the UPCI a cult, it is certainly more than adequate to say the UPCI demonstrates cult like or cultic behavior, many times pulling families apart, demanding unquestioning devotion, and claiming to be the only true saved...

Warning lights and sirens, and disclaimers should be placed at every place of assembly they operate

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.