Info on Ordo Templi Orientis?
Posted by: sirdelux ()
Date: February 21, 2004 04:20PM

A loved one has been involved with this group, Ordo Templi Orientis, which I've heard described as a cult.

Is there a message thread where I can find out more? I'm looking for sites or info from non-OTO members, I've found quite a few OTO sites.

I went to the sites on the rickross links page. One gave a good account of the history, but I didn't find opinions or personal experiences.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
sirdelux

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dervish ()
Date: February 21, 2004 10:01PM

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: February 21, 2004 10:01PM

group and its leader.

A pagan of my acquaintance said that it varies. She was on the fringes of a particular OTO group 20 years ago. ("I was friends with a member and got to tag along to all their parties")

But she was a shrewd youngster and decided to stay well away from that particular group because she saw that the people used the philosophy of the group to justify too much behavior that was selfish and that harmed them and harmed others.

In OTO I think a lot of work is done with subtle energy, and trance. Development of power and use of active imagination are vital components.

If used by mature and responsible persons, these are a force for good.

But if the leader of a certain OTO group is narcissistic and power hungry, he or she can do a great deal of harm.

A lot depends on how carefully the leader of an OTO group screens prospective applicants. Anything having to do with power is bound to attract problem children; the responsibility of a group leader is identify them and keep them out of the group.

Finally, OTO is not for those who are naive and immature, or childishly fascinated by magic. I read somewhere that Robert Anton Wilson, who knew OTO said that ideally someone who sets out to study OTO and other forms of ceremonial magick should have a through knowledge of semantics, history and psychology.

I wish you the best for your friend. Keep the love going.

Non possessive, altruistic love is the greatest magic of all.

Posted by: sirdelux ()
Date: February 22, 2004 03:28AM

Thank you for the links and insight. I will definitely look further.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.