Flat Earth Society
Posted by: zeuszor ()
Date: June 16, 2007 12:29PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Flat Earth Society
Posted by: Fishbulb ()
Date: June 16, 2007 12:36PM

Hah! Clowns.

I tried to join. I filled in my name as Wendy Testaburger, answered questions like "Favourite Presidential Cabinet Member" as "Paris Hilton" and "Favorite Mineral" as "Pyrite", and so on. In the essay they request of potential members, I suggested this was a great new conspiracy. I told them I'd felt that all the old conspiracies were sooo overdone in the media and in the rumpus rooms of fortysomething pot smokers. I told them it'd be good to join something this fresh and new and complain about something other than UFO's, 9/11, AIDS and the like.

The next step was to hit the "Send" button, which I did.

Next up came a screen that told me there was a problem with the "recipient" field -- well, I didn't type in an email, I only hit "Send" on the form. It says, "See more in this README file". So I clicked on the README file.

It took me back to the home page!

Smartasses.

Flat Earth Society
Date: June 17, 2007 03:49AM

[www.positiveatheism.org]

Society of Fred Mertz, Boddhisattva

SFMB -- the Society of Fred Mertz, Boddhisattva -- was founded by the Finnish-American poet, Antero Alli, and holds that all wisdom is contained in the seemingly inane remarks of Fred Mertz, a minor character of the "I Love Lucy" TV show. By watching "Lucy" reruns continually and meditating on the apparently banal things Fred says -- e.g., "I don't know what's going on around here" or "I don't understand women at all" -- this sect claims you will find the same Enlightenment as in contemplating Zen Buddhist koans such as "What is the sound of one hand clapping?" And just as in Zen, where students are often required to meditate on monosyllables such as "Mu" (no), the SFMB sect would have you meditate on such Mertziana as "Huh?" or "Awww!" until you sense what Joyce would call the epiphany in even the most trivial.

Flat Earth Society
Posted by: Fishbulb ()
Date: June 17, 2007 03:59AM

Hilarious!

I have a book called Planet Simpson, about the Simpsons of course, and Homer is believed to be the ultimate example of Zen. He lives in the moment, he doesn't plan for the future or worry about the past, and he doesn't place value judgements on things like personal ignorance and such.

Fred Mertz though. Never would have thought of him! Who next, Al Bundy?

Flat Earth Society
Date: June 17, 2007 01:15PM

Hey, I just got ordained as a minister through the ULC:

[www.ulcordination.org]

Flat Earth Society
Posted by: Jack Oskar Larm ()
Date: June 17, 2007 01:59PM

Very funny, Zeuszor...

From their 'serious' site:

[b:50a4243169]ORDINATION NOTICE[/b:50a4243169]

You are about to become an ordained minister with the Universal Life Church. For information regarding the legal aspects of this in your state or province, view the FAQ page on the site.

Before proceeding with your information, please make sure you have complied with the following instructions:

Please only ordain others with their permission. (This includes public figures as well as [b:50a4243169]cartoon and other fictional characters[/b:50a4243169].")
Please only put your true and legal name. Nicknames will invalidate your ordination.
Please use only factual information in this serious religious rite.
Please double check your name and email address.
Please capitalize where appropriate, as this is how our records will show from here on out.

Does that include stuffed toys, too? LOL!

Flat Earth Society
Date: June 17, 2007 02:05PM

We're definitely going off topic!

What was the topic? Flat head society? Isn't that a fish?

BTW, did you check out the goodies...

[www.themonastery.org]

Seems like they cover all the bases!

And I can't wait to see you in one of these:

2007-01-02
New Clothing, New Crusade
We are pleased to announce within the next two weeks the addition to our catalog a line of [b:9ad21d514a]ministerial clothing[/b:9ad21d514a]. We are excited to offer this new service as many of you have requested the desire for Robes, Vestments and Stoles.

LOL!!!

Flat Earth Society
Date: June 17, 2007 02:27PM

It's a real, valid ordination, too. And the ordination itself is FREE.

Flat Earth Society
Date: June 17, 2007 02:34PM

Flat Earth Society
Date: June 18, 2007 08:05AM

zeuszor
It's a real, valid ordination, too. And the ordination itself is FREE.

Oh, I hate going off topic, but I...just...can't...help...myself...

What do you mean by 'real' and 'valid' and 'ordination' and 'free'?

BTW, I think this thread is headed for LOCK DOWN!

Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.