Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Help, I think my professor is a Scientologist
Posted by: suemarie ()
Date: February 01, 2004 02:33AM

Hello, I am looking for some input on a difficult situation.

I must take a Psych. class to qualify for a degree program. The teacher of my psych. class has promoted CCHR, the Citizen's commission on Human Rights and the books on its website.

I thought it was bizarre that a university psychology class would promote beliefs like "psychiatry kills" and "mental illness is a myth, fraud, and sham."

This psych professor does not use the textbook for the course. Instead he has assigned to read books that are sold on the CCHR website, with titles like "Psychiatrists: the Men Behind Hitler."

After reading the CCHR website, as well as the comments on this site, I am alarmed. I don't know whether to confront the teacher or talk to the Dean of Humanities. This teacher does not respond well to criticism, and during class, we are not allowed to disagree with him. He either ignores or makes fun of people who challenge him.

I am not sure what to do. All the anti-psych propaganda has the potential to do a lot of damage, and i can't stop my eyes from rolling when he starts spewing this crap. I'm afraid if i say something, i'll BE beaten up by Scientologists in the campus parking lot, and thrown out of the class too.

Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cosmophilospher ()
Date: February 01, 2004 02:47AM

Write a letter to the Dean, and outline your concerns.
Look into transfering to another Prof as well.
Keep your letter anonymous initially if you are afraid.

We dont yet know if he belongs to a group, or whether he's unable to handle open debate.

Academic freedom and tenure can be a nasty duo!
;)

Coz

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: February 01, 2004 08:52AM

'This teacher does not respond well to criticism, and during class, we are not allowed to disagree with him. He either ignores or makes fun of people who challenge him. '

Excuse us, but higher education is all about dialogue, the free exchange of ideas, and yes, CRITICISM according to rules of evidence.

Your 'professor' is practicing indoctrination, not education. Big difference.

Get out of there and warn the Dean. If you live in a major city with a Craigslist.org franchise, post a warning there, too so people wont take that class and waste their time.

Date: February 01, 2004 11:24AM

thanks Coz ;)

Date: February 02, 2004 04:14AM

Thanks, corboy. I've been reading the Clambake site, and it is starting to scare me. I'm creating an information Packet for the dean, which I may submit anonymously (yes, I'm a coward).

I hadn't thought about using Craigslist.org. I'll be looking into that. Thanks again for your suggestions. I'll sleep better tonight.

I thought this prof's "observation on criticism" were amusing. This is from the class syllabus:

"In the seven years I have taught college courses, I have repeatedly observed the following: people who criticize or complain about the course are either not doing the course work or they are doing work below the standard expected. They criticize or complain to justify their choice to not do the work or to submit less than their best work. If you hear someone complain or criticize, keep the above in mind. I strongly discourage criticizing or complaining. Anyone with a legitimate concern may speak with me privately (through email or before/after class). Attention-seeking public displays of criticism will result in disciplinary action."

Date: February 02, 2004 05:58AM

is behaving strangely.

First he invalidates all dissent as evidence that people are not doing their assigned coursework. He allows no room for the possibility that someone can have a valid disagreement with him.

That's the essence of an authoritarian mind-set--thats not compatible with high education at all..

Two, he's discouraging students from discussing their concerns and misgivings with each other; instead he's creating an intimidating context in which people are afraid to speak up.

Three if anyone has questions or concerns, they are not supposed to talk about it with classmates, but instead only go to him. Excuse me, we are in the USA and are protected by the First Amendment. That means you can talk with your classmates about this!

That means the guy is trying to monopolize & control all discussion in class.

THats not higher education.

I recommend adding Robert J Lifton's criteria for Thought Reform to your information packet.

Tell the dean, and if you dont get anywhere, talk to your campus ombudsman--or whatever they call the office for student affairs/complaints.

There also has to be a way to discuss this with your classmates. Just eye each other and ask, 'Does this feel weird to you?'

Then direct them to this site and others like it.

Also, if you have a psychology department on campus,see if you have a faculty member who specializes in social psychology and group behavior.

Talk to that person--unless, God forbid, thats the guy who is teaching this class.

Date: February 02, 2004 06:08AM

has tenure at your place or if he's had to move from campus to campus.

'Public displays of criticism will result in disciplinary action'--

Ive been through college, did 4 years in a Ph.D program and got an MA at a seminary.

Never, ever in all that time did a professor make such a statement in person or on a syllabus.

Whether this is his intention or not, your instructor risks creating the equivalent of hostile workplace environment.

I recommend finding your campus legal aid clinic and talking with them about this situation. Find out what your rights are.

Posted by: Cosmophilospher ()
Date: February 02, 2004 06:19AM

Get the heck out of that persons class, if you can.
I once took on a college prof's "ideas", and crticized him in a paper...
guess what? VERY BAD MARKS!
Some of these profs are super-weenies, or worse.

Coz

Posted by: Dervish ()
Date: February 02, 2004 07:40AM

Corboy nailed it right on the head. There is just one complication. If you write an anonymous letter, how do you know what's being done about this professor? You may very well spend days and god forbid WEEKS wondering whether or not the dean is doing something about this professor. It really depends on the college. If it's reputable, I'm sure the dean is taking it seriously. I'm the type of person who has gone toe to toe with professors on several occassions. I've complained about them to department heads, deans, and presidents of the university. I have never once felt intimidated, or that I was the target of reprisal. I always got a reasonable result.

On the other hand, you know your own situation better than we know your situation. If you are heavy set on being anonymous for now, then you will need to send out as many feelers as possible. Like Corboy said, reach out to other students (if it's a big lecture hall style psychology class, it's not too difficult to do this and maintain anonymity). Does your class have a side lab and/or recitation? If you can bond with the teacher's assistant, you may learn something.

That part about "public criticism" in his syllibus makes me suspicious. My guess is someone has been offended with his ways, and made some public attempt to draw awareness. It would be nice to know who it was, I'm sure that person could enlighten you a lot on this professor's intentions. If you haven't already, do a google on the professor's name, you may come up with a website or 2.

I think about this thread sometimes because I remember fondly my college days, both good times and bad. Like I said, I managed to remedy those bad times, and I hope you do too.

Posted by: Dervish ()
Date: February 02, 2004 07:48AM

I just thought of one thing you can try (I couldn't wait for my post to be approved and to edit that one :D ). Take your syllibus with that comment AND whatever evidence you have of his endorsement of that Scientology commission. See if you can find a psych professor in another university who is particularly vexed at scientology's denouncement of their practice, and send them all the material (plus whatever notes). They may offer advice and be pretty upset at CoS's infiltration. Many professors nowadays only care about a paycheck, so you may have to search a bit. But if you don't want to go public and tell the Dean, this is the only viable alternative I can think of.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.