Cult Activism Threatened
Posted by: cultreporter ()
Date: May 29, 2007 10:11AM

There are a lot of people here that have the desire to make important information widely available. This forum is the most read and best Google rated on the net, but the cult awareness movement is diminishing.

Despite the criticisms of cult activists it is a fact that unlike cult leaders it is not creating any millionaires.

The truth is a serious threat to cults continuing inflict destruction on individual's lives. Scientology alone has spent a fortune attempting to stop the ability of anyone to make an informed choice.

Factnet is a great resource that encourages activism and awareness, and although I am sure that they have lost a lot of interest by the amount of time it has taken to be able to join their forum lately they are currently experiencing issues with being able to continue their work as explained in the email sent out today to their mailing list. I thought perhaps its contents may be of interest to some of the members of this forum. Without support this organisation could potentially cease to exist.

1.) Even with the many volunteers doing a great job and those of you who have been donating regularly to keep Factnet going, Factnet still can not regularly raise enough in donations to function properly. We are currently at the lowest bank balance we have had in 13 years!

2.) One of the reasons we always need your regular donations is the never-ending and often escalating battle with some cults and individuals who are spamming and/or hacking the Factnet website to shut down our voice and your forums.

3.) There are key security people that we do have to pay on a regular basis to fix the hacking and other software security problems. These security costs have continued to escalate as the site keeps growing.

4.) Factnet's discussion forums have turned into about 70 % theological discussions and 30% discussions about cult and mind control practices. Even though these discussions can do much good, it still means that 70% of all discussion forum posting content is simple not part of our cult tactics education mission.

5.) We simply cannot technically run the existing discussion forums properly any longer without upgrading the current discussion software and creating a new MYSQL forum postings data base on our server. This is a considerable job in software and server labor and related costs and, we do not have the funds to do this.

6.) Because of our rapid growth, we are also getting more forum related administrative requests and more difficult-to-handle forum posting related threats than ever before, and these are consuming far more management and staff time than ever before.

The proposed solutions for your vote:

1.) Shut down the whole discussion board down completely until we have a minimum of the needed $12,000 for the next 12 months of Factnet operations or,

2.) Immediately set up new forum software that will allow us begin charging each person who posts in our discussion groups $10 per year (lurkers could still lurk for free,) or

3.) Transfer all theological discussions and most of the discussion board forums to a new group of trustworthy forum individuals willing to put up the funding and staffing to maintaining some new kind of completely new discussion board not directly part or associated with Factnet, or

4.) Somehow convince the 14,000 registered discussion forum users and newsletter subscribers of Factnet to click the Factnet online donation button so that we immediately raise at least $12,000 for minimum funding to keep the discussion board functioning just as it is now (but with a new secure discussion forum software upgrade) and Factnet functioning for the next 12 months.

There are a lot of threads here which declare that something should be done regarding a specific group or issue and I usually agree. As someone who lots of experience with community and political organisations I know that grassroots activism is achievable and effective. I founded my first community collective which succeeded in changing health policy for the whole state and scored $10 000 in funding for youth health with just a phone and a piece of junk computer that I bought for $50. There really are not that many people that work to make a difference, many laws have been made as the result of efforts by a few people, so in addition to supporting those that do it is possible to become one.

Options: ReplyQuote
Cult Activism Threatened
Posted by: mergetroid ()
Date: May 30, 2007 11:01AM

thank you, cultreporter. i for one will send what i can asap. the necessity of these message boards should be totally obvious to anyone whose life has even been remotely affected.

(and we should all remember to send money to rick ross too!)

i assume there is a "donate" link on factnet site?

Cult Activism Threatened
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: May 30, 2007 10:05PM

If you wish to donate see [www.culteducation.com]

Cult Activism Threatened
Posted by: mergetroid ()
Date: May 31, 2007 06:29AM

will do! thank you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.