Looking for people who are familiar with The Work
Posted by: needhelp ()
Date: December 25, 2003 01:33PM

Hey,
I am trying to help a friend whom seems to be captured by this cult. For that I need more info and advice about it. If you are familar with their work in New York, I'd be happy if you'd contact me.
thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: December 25, 2003 11:49PM

The group 'needshelp' is referring to is a freelance Gurdjieff/Fourth Way group led by Alex Horn.

He created the Sharon Gans group, and a former student of his, Robert Burton created yet another freelance Fourth Way group, formerly called Fellowship of Friends, now called Renaissance.

The Rickross site has a lot of archived material for all these groups.

Date: December 25, 2003 11:58PM

tho this may or may not succeed

Try and post an inquiry on the NYC Craigslist. Sound like you're interested.

If you query about 'the work' and make it look like youre worried that it is a cult, you might have your post flagged and removed.

That happens constantly on the NYC Craigslist, but not on the two West Coast sites!

But you have to see if your pal is involved with a Gurdjieff oriented group, or with Katie, otherwise your searches wont lead you too far.

Once we find out which of the two it is, I can run some Google searches and give you tips on strategies to pursue.

Again, a person can relate to good material in a cultic manner.

OR the material itself may be cultic.

To make matters even more confusing, a teacher may start out quite well, but eventually turn into a cultmeister after too many years of being a guru.

Again its one thing to be an inspirational writer or teacher. People dont live under your authority.

But as soon as a teacher has people living under his or her authority, he/she had better have the necessary training, or the once helpful inspirational teacher can turn into yet another harmful cultmeister.

Many of these folks start out as well intentioned, nice people, but they land in far deeper water than they can handle and are corrupted by the adulation and wierdness of the guru role.

Date: December 26, 2003 12:31AM

If anyone wants to learn a bit about the groups that derive from Horn, read

Taking With the Left Hand by William Patterson Smith

If you still want to study Gurdjieff work, bear in mind that real G groups dont advertise or prosyletize.

Most of G's material derives from Theosophy with some Tibetan Buddhism thrown in.

Please read James Webb's history of Gurdjieff Work 'The Harmonious Circle'. He traces the origin of all of G's material, completely demystifies him and his many ridiculous claims.

Gurdjieffians hate the book. They cant admit it, so they smile and say Webb was a brilliant reseacher who (condescending smile) 'missed the point' of Gurdjieff work.

IMHO Webb got the point, and got it all too well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.