Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Carol Brown - The Storehouse Of God’s Inheritance
Posted by: MarkTaylor ()
Date: January 13, 2007 03:34PM

I should have posted this back in 2000 when I realized that I was in a cult. But now that the dust has settled on my nerves and emotions it is time to tell my story.

It began back in 1997 in Circleville, Ohio. The cult group was started by a couple named John and Carol Brown as they were given permission to begin teaching at a legitimate church that my family and I attended.

It started out with what seemed to be an innocent teaching by Carol. Carol had gone through a series of seminars on spiritual warfare back in Denver, Colorado. She was given permission to present the material to the small congregation of our church. Little did the Pastor know, that within a few months many of his small congregation would be turned against him, and deceived into leaving the church to form a cult group. With eleven followers, including seven adults and four children, Carol and her husband John established their group, which they call "The Storehouse Of God's Inheritance." [i:0535e1bf33](Carol claimed that, in 1992, she was visited by an angel for two consecutive days. During this angelic visit she was told many things, including, “your house will be the storehouse of God's inheritance”, which is where the name of their group comes from.)[/i:0535e1bf33] I was one of the original adult members. I spent three years caught up in and believing their teachings. Then one day, my eyes were opened and I realized that I was in a cult… I spent another three years trying to get my family out of the group to no avail. In 2003, my (then) wife divorced me and convinced our two teenage children to go with her.

Carol Brown is the leader of this group, her husband John follows. The way Carol operates is, she convinces people to believe that she is very spiritual and very close with God… so close that God speaks directly to her, giving her “guidance” for the people in her group. She claims to have a gift from God that she calls “spiritual discernment” that allows her to see into the spiritual realm, giving her the ability to see the intentions of people’s hearts.

An example of how she gets (and keeps) control over people is; She’ll condemn someone in the group (in front of everyone else) when something goes wrong in their life. Maybe their car breaks down, their pet dies, they lose their job, anything… She will verbally tear them apart and blame their situation on their sin. “It’s your fault that this has happened!” she’ll yell. “I told you to get rid of that sin in your life and you aren’t listening to me! This is what happens when you don’t listen to me!”

Something else that she does is; someone will walk into her house with something they just bought – it could be a pair of shoes, a shirt, etc… Carol will say “God doesn’t want you to have that… take it back before something bad happens to you!”… again, in front of everyone in the group.

After several episodes similar to the above examples, the person is so confused, embarrassed and afraid to do anything without consulting Carol first, that they turn their own minds off and blindly follow…. That is how she gets and keeps control of the members of her group.

The group members are not allowed to socialize with people outside of their group, not even family members. This is controlled by fear, “If you socialize with people outside of the group, unclean spirits will attack you and – just like in the earlier examples – bad things will happen to you”

Children in the group are kept on a very tight leash, and once they reach 16 years old they are pushed to drop out of school and get a GED. Currently, there are a total of three children in the group who have reached the age of 16… all three have dropped out of high school. Two of those who have dropped out of school are my own children. The reasoning behind dropping out… “School is a bad influence.”

The group moved from Circleville, Ohio to Wilmington, Ohio in 1999… then moved again in 2005 to Chandler, Arizona – where they are at the time of this writing.

If you hear of this group or come into contact with them, be aware that they are a very controlling and manipulating religious cult. If you have had any run-ins with this cult group, please post your story to this topic. [/b]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: LoriAtyeo ()
Date: January 14, 2007 04:34AM

My Husband and I too were involved in this group. It caused such a mental hardship and problems that I wasn't even sure I'd ever be able to attend another church. We moved from Florida to Circleville, Ohio ; To supposedly put our marriage back together, they (JB & Carol) were very convincing that this was our answer. It didn't take long before I was always in trouble. Carol liked to keep Fear for family at the center of Her control on us. She also liked to punish us with fear of happenings to our family members. Also distructive prayers over our Family Members. Like someone (my son) to have a Mack truck experience. Or breaking of Legs or Necks. Hard to believe someone would pray for God to do this to another person. I too am grateful to God for showing me how to get out of this cult. Beware of them !!!

Posted by: tylrshr ()
Date: May 03, 2007 05:09AM

This is to reply to what Mark Taylor had to say about Carol Brown and The Storehouse of God's Inheritance: My name is Shari and I am the former wife of Mark. Only about 1% of what Mark said is true, we did meet John and Carol Brown in Circleville,Oh and the did start a gathering in thier home, but the rest is completely false. Mark's accusations are not something I am surprised at because I have heard them for 7 years now I am just surprised that he has gone this far with them. Mark has painted a very nasty picture, he claims that people are under such control that they can't think for themselves, can't speak without getting permission to, can' even use the restroom without permission. THAT IS WHAT A CULT IS. We have complete freedom to make decisions on our own, good or bad. WHAT CAROL TEACHES IS NO MORE THAN WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS. How to live a Godly life, how to walk the way Jesus says to walk, how to think, how to get rid of sin and old patterns. Mark was not willing to give anything up to follow after Christ. Carol is a very Godly woman and tries to obey God in every aspect of her life. She is submissive to her husband and has a true love for God like I have never seen before. She lives a life of prayer. She is an example of how a person should live their lives for God. My ex-husband did everything to try to get me to believe what he had to say, he called her a satanist and because i wouldn't agree with him i was a satan worshipper, this went on for 3 years. My children and i were isolated from the church family, which included my physical brother and his family, and we were forced to go to churches that were no help to us as a family. I agreed to go to try to keep our marrage hoping Mark would come to his senses. We even went to counseling for our marrage to his pastor. His pastor met Carol and told Mark he had the problem not her. Mark refused to believe. After Mark and I seperated, after 15 years of marrage, he still continued his badgering against Carol and me for believing her. He committed adultery and we were soon divorced. Mark has not let this go, even after 4 years of being seperated. He rarely talks to his children and hasn't seen them in over 2 years. He posted this 11/2 years after we moved. He doesn't know the kids, their situations, or anything about them. His children from our marrage have seen for themselves his hatred for Carol and myself first hand. He has claimed that i corrupted them against him, but he did it himself. I just pray that it is not too late for him or his new wife to come out of darkness.
Shari Taylor

Date: May 03, 2007 05:15AM

I have also come in contact with this group....and they are NOT a cult! I do know for a fact that they are true because they live on God's truth...the Bible. I also know for a fact that Mark Taylor, who originally posted this article; and Lori Ateyo (his sister), who agreed with him, are both proven liars. Mark has no idea what he is talking about! He has not tried to "no avail" to get his family back...he's not even in touch with them! I know this because I am his daughter.
Only several months after he got seperated from his wife, he was browsing on the internet to find another woman. He commited adultery with her, because he was still married to his wife at that time. He denied it the whole time, and still to this day insists that he has done nothing wrong. He turned his back on God, his physical family, and his spiritual family.
As far as being a cult, that is a total lie! We are only taught God's truths...written in his Word, the truths that the mighty men of God wrote so long ago. To be seperate from the world, as Jesus himself said. That is the reason that I dropped out of school. NOT BECAUSE CAROL BROWN TOLD ME TO!!!!! I did this because of the enemies that are in the school. The drugs in the bathrooms, the pulling to just go have sex with anybody and you'll fit in that way. You'll fit in to the world, but God will spit you out of his mouth! It is sexual immorality, as Paul preached in the Corinthians. It's intoxication, which is forbidden by God himself. Why in the world would he want to fight me in making that decision? Why would he want his children in that kind of enviornment? Because he doesn't care!
We are dress modestly, and to put on the full armor of God, as, once again, Paul instructed us to do.
There are many, many other thimgs that we are taught, both in this church and in God's word. He can speak to us...we just have to listen. But if we are so wrapped up in our lives and what we want to do, how can we do anything for God? We can't! Just as David said in the Psalms, we are to check our hearts daily to see if there is evil in our hearts. And we know there is evil- the prophet Jeremiah states that our hearts are full of wickedness.
If following the word of God is a cult, please, please tell me....what is truth?
I just want everyone who reads this to know what the real truth about this group is. We are not a cult, rather, we are only a few parts in the body of Christ. We are the chosen few, the remnant, as Jesus himself says, "Many are called, but FEW are chosen!"
And I just want to say to Mark's wife, I am so sorry that you have never heard the full truth of this group....you have only heard his side...his lies!
-Amber Taylor

Posted by: A Heart for God ()
Date: May 08, 2007 11:46PM

amber_jesus_freak
To be seperate from the world, as Jesus himself said.
Just for record, Jesus told his followers to preach the Kingdom of God to all the nations. You can't do that if you isolate yourself from the world. Furthermore, Jesus didn't isolate himself from the world, but was found quite frequently among sinners rather than hanging out with the apostles.

amber_jesus_freak
That is the reason that I dropped out of school. NOT BECAUSE CAROL BROWN TOLD ME TO!!!!! I did this because of the enemies that are in the school. The drugs in the bathrooms, the pulling to just go have sex with anybody and you'll fit in that way.
Just because there is sin around you doesn't mean you have to get involved in it. Be in the world, but not of it. Learn to stand your ground in such situations. The only time you flee from sin is when it would directly involve you.

amber_jesus_freak
I just want everyone who reads this to know what the real truth about this group is. We are not a cult, rather, we are only a few parts in the body of Christ. We are the chosen few, the remnant, as Jesus himself says, "Many are called, but FEW are chosen!"
If I'm not mistaken, a lot of Christian-based cults use this to build themselves up - claiming to be the few chosen to make themselves seem more holy. I'm not saying for sure the group is a cult, but there are some "tells," just based on the things you've said.

Posted by: emilydaleOhio ()
Date: July 12, 2007 01:20PM

To all the members of Carol Brown's "remnant church",
This is Emily Dale, a follower just like you of Carol Brown's ideas, until July 8, when God, after four hours of wrestling in prayer, showed me to whole truth about Carol's church. I now longer agree with Carol's preachings and teachings and I will not be a part of your group any longer. Please hear what I have to say and consider whether you should be under her leadership either. I know the first thought going through your mind is, "it's a spiritual attack! She is persecuting us! I can't doubt Carol, I can't listen to what she's saying!" But a good pastor must be tested and approved by the Word of God. Please listen to where I have found her come against the Word of God. I am praying for you all. Firstly, Carol preached that she was an "angel of light." and God's messenger and servant. But the Bible says angels were created by God before the earth began (Job 38:4-7, Psalm 148:2,5) that angels do not marry (Matthew 22:30), and will never die (Luke 20:34-36). Well, Carol IS married as we all know, was NOT created before the earth began and will die someday. Carol even told me NUMEROUS times that she was visited by an angel and angels don't get angel visitations. It doesn't work that way! Also, angels have never been in prison, as Carol told me she had. No angel has done that! If anyone doubts her saying she is an angel, I have it on tape, she sent my family a sermon on tape. That proves it well enough. She is NOT an angel. Secondly, Carol says she's a prophet. But the Bible says to test the prophets and when I tested her, she made me feel as if I was coming truly against God. I was questioning her about why they had gone to the authorities in one of the member's situations and why money had been taken from a member. I was given no clear answer and she made me feel like if I ever questioned again, I would be in trouble with God or something. The only person we cannot doubt is GOD and we MUST test our leadership. Deuteronomy 18:20-22 says, "When a prophet speaketh in the name of the Lord, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is a thing the Lord has not spoken, and the prophet spoke it presumptuously. Thou shalt not be afraid of him." Carol claims to be a prophet, but I have witnessed her prophesies to not come to pass. She claimed her family would be saved in three days and sent overnight packages to them and a rebuke to her old pastor and her family sent the packages back. This proves she is an illegitimate prophet because her prophecy did not come to pass. She also prophesied that I would go out there and live one day, but that is WRONG. I will never step into her door. EVER. During this whole situation, my parents from the very beginning were wise enough to look up Carol's group, signs of a cult, and other information and forbid me to speak to Carol ever again. I even signed a contract promising I would not contact her, anyone in contact with her, or send money to her. I signed the contract knowing I would break it because Carol had me convinced it was okay to lie to my parents in order to stay talking to her and called it "protecting the truth." In what way is talking to Carol brown the truth? The only reason a Christian should ever disobey their parents is if their parents command them not to pray or read the word. She used the scripture, "we must obey God over man," but the disciples obeyed man over God in their situation because they had to stay loyal to Christ himself. I obeyed "God" over man in order to stay loyal to Carol. That's idolatry. No man can take the place of Jesus. For months and months, I have been decieving my parents and kept secret phones hidden and used them often to call Carol. No prophet or angel would tell Christians to lie. Especially not to disobey their parents by lying. She told me "if you stay close and connected to me, you'll make it." How could I be so foolish? No man can make me get to heaven. Only JESUS is the WAY to HEAVEN! Tell me, members of the group, what is different about your beliefs now from before you knew Carol that makes you "in the truth" as we all called it, and makes you go to heaven and not others. Tell me what is different because I found nothing. Carol had me convinced she alone made me different, on the "narrow path" and "in the truth." She thought simply by knowing her, I would be saved. That is idolatry because it is creating another way to heaven. She also tried, in a very manipulative and suddle way, to get me to leave my family completely behind and never speak to them again when I turned 18. She had me and my two best friends conviced that this was God's will for us, to move to Arizona to be with her. She used the scripture, "Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me." But that does NOT mean you have to cut off members who don't agree with Carol. You shouldn't even cut off members who don't agree with Christ, because then how will they be saved? When the disciples left their families to follow Christ, I bet if they had cell phones, the would have called with tremendous praise reports and Jesus would do anything but oppose these calls. Why is Carol opposing your families? You should be calling home with praise reports if you're really called out there for "God's purposes!" She tried to convince me that my mom was operating for the devil and against God simply because my mom didn't agree with her "church." Yes, my mom may not be as much "christian" as you all think all think you are, but she needs Jesus as much as anyone and by me cutting her off, I would be the WORST exapmle of Christ to her. I was convincing her that Christianity was crap becuase of the way I used it against her. You all know how Carol spoke of my mom to you - she doesn't even know her! The only reason she had a problem with her was because she opposed her herself, Carol Brown. That is gossip. My mom was not opposing Christ, she was opposing a group of people, and that is not unbiblical, so no one had a right to call her a name, or speak badly of her in the first place. I am so thankful that my mom went to the extent she did to show me Carol's true character. Moving on, you all know that Carol preaches the message we never heard in other churches about sufferings, denying flesh, and seperating form the world. But she misses out on the other half. "Without love you are a sounding gong," and I probably heard the word "love" out of her mouth as a preaching maybe 2 times. Joy was stripped from me and my two Christian friends because of her influence. We used to love singing and dancing and rejoicing and praying together and then it was just about calling Carol and being seeminly lifeless. I was told what to wear, where to shop, and what to own. You all know what I mean. But no true pastor should have the authority over someone to tell them something like, "Walmart is a very good place to shop, and I sometimes shop at Target, but I don't feel God's release sometimes." That's a manipulative way of getting you to shop at Walmart over Target. No, church, I don't know why Carol wants that control over us to make us shop at certain places, but she HAS it. That's the scary part. Not even that, but we get rid of black things like picture frames, trucks, because Carol says to. I'm sure she uses the scriputre, "everything in darkness needs to be brought to light," but how far do we take that church? That is a SPIRITUAL PHRASE, not to mean that every black thing should be trashed. It's a stinkin' color! God looks at the heart, not the outward appearance. Yes, women must dress like women and men like men, but does it really matter if I wear something I bought in Ohio out in Arizona? No. No. No. It does not matter in God's eyes. Why does Carol expect all of you to pitch everything you own from Ohio and start over? She says it "new ground, " etc, but it's her way of controlling everything you own. Teens, hear me out. Please. She's always telling me you're wavering with God and you're not with her and you're liars! How is that bringing unity in the church? How is that not gossip? Amber, I have a heart for you, and I really want you to be free from the negative influence Carol had on me. Trust me, I am still walking with God and you can too, even if you leave Carol's church. Don't feel like by leaving you're walking into hell and disobeying God. You have no obligation to your pastor like that, only Jesus has that place. It's okay to find a new pastor. Carol had me so stinkin' opposed to other pastors, but why church? A true pastor would say, "yes, test me to the Word, and check out other pastors if you feel I'm not being obedient to the Word of God." I know you guys, she says he prays all the time and you see her pray and you have nice prayer times and things like that, but take a step back. If the only nice thing about that church is that your pastor prays and your prayer and worship times are nice, can you not find that somewhere else without risking the freedom of someone controlling aspects of your life that no mortal man has the right to? Carol told me to change my sheets 2 times a week. What pastor does that????? What pastor should have the authority to do that? She told my friend if she "changed her sheets 2 times a week, she would be blessed by God." Where is the Biblical support for changing your sheets bringing blessings?????? WHERE? There is none. That is control under the disguise of a revelation from God, and I already pointed out, she is not a prophet so it's no "revelation" at all. It's Carol Brown's control of your life. Do you all know how she says a spider means sometimes that there's a demon around?? Where the heck is that in the Bible? That is just plain superstition!!! That's just a creature, an animal. That's like saying by seeing a kitty on the side of the road, it means there's an angle around. Rediculous huh? Well, we bought the lie. She's no prophet, she's actually very misguided. Johnny, your wife always told me you weren't with her on this and that and you watched too much TV and played too much golf and she was contemplating divorce over the phone with me and then finally said, "no God hates divorce." Tell me, what kind of a pastor speaks of their husband that way to a teen in their church? What kind of a pastor contemplates divorce because of the television and golf? Chris, Carol told me you were a liar because you "acted like you were seeking God" and then you had a girlfriend who in her opinion isn't saved and she's mad because you want to move. You know why? Because then she would lose her power and authority over you. My opinion is, move, Chris. If you feel called somewhere else, don't be afraid to move just because Carol thinks she has more truth than anyone else. Look to the Word of God. Line everything up and see where her teachings contradict. To my friend who led me to this group and is currently living in the same house as Carol (I don't feel peace about saying your name on the internet for some reason so I won't for your protection and stuff), please consider my words. You remember how we fled from our last rotten pastor because we realized the deception there? I'm fleeing from this pastor because I realize the deception here. You don't have to cut off your family just because CArol says, "don't look back like Lot's wife did." That means don't return to your sin, but your family is not your sin. My family is not my sin. I won't return to my sin, but I also won't cut off a family that needs to hear the word of God and see it in someone's life. I have it, and to cut them off would hurt them and turn them away from Jesus. That's where I drew the line in my life. Because I saw yours and the pain I would have brought upon my family if I had done the same thing. No, I'm not referring to the husband situation, I'm talking about your family back here in Ohio and my family that would be considered, "my family back here in Ohio." I won't do that to my mom. I know Carol will say, "if you're not willing to give it all up," but Jesus would say, "you should be willing to give EVERYTHING up to get your mom to love God." That's the truth. I'm willing to give everything up to save a heart, a life, and bring someone to Christ, but I'm NOT willing to give everything up to move to Arizona to live with Carol Brown. Only Jesus could have that place in my heart. It was hard for me to admit htat I was wrong, I was punked, I was tricked, whatever you want to call it, into thinking Carol had some special truth that no one else did. But now I see JEsus in the light I used to. Now I pray like I used to. Now I'm not always paranoid I have sin and I just sit and admire Christ and let him show me my true self instead of expect him to show Carol who will show me. That's wrong you guys. You gotta know Jesus, not Carol. That's when Carol becomes an idol which is VERY unbiblical. Finally, Matthew 7:15-16 says, "Watch out for false prophets (remember, a prophet is what Carol claims to be). They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly, they are ferocious wolves. By hteir fruit you will recognize them." Hey guys! Tell me where the fruit is!!!! I know I'm young, I know. But I see no fruit. I'm not letting Carol tell me "you're not mature" yet. I know fruit when I see it and there isn't any. Sorry. Even Carol flipped out about this thing God showed her, I'm sure you all know. She said the gardener cut all the limbs of the tree in her back yard and God was showing her there was no fruit in the flock. HELLO!!!!!! No fruit? That means she's a false prophet, a wolf in sheeps clothing, she told us from her own mouth!!! The Bible says they are known by their fruit! Read the Word with new eyes. Carol tells you you are because you're reading it with Carol's eyes, but read it with Christ's eyes and see that there's no fruit people. None. Friends, why have no new Christians been converted since I've known you all? Why no new believers in Christ? No, I don't mean why no new members of Carol's elite church, but why no new followers of Jesus? That is what this is all about, and if you're not accomplishing the work God has for you, bringing people to Christ and being a Christ like example to others to draw them to Jesus, why are you out there? If you aren't doing this, why are you even bothering following Carol? Why? That's when I threw my hands up and took the hand of Jesus and said, "where next, Lord? I can't stay here, so where next?" By leaving Carol's church, you don't have to enter a mocho church/gym/cafe. It's a process, friends. I'm learning, and I'm staying close to the word and prayer because I know I've been manipulated all this time. And to my friend who moved there, please listen. Please listen. I would have been out there in a heartbeat if I was 18, and I would have become emotionless, fruitless, and I would have lost my family. Open your eyes before it's too late, I beg you. I plead with all of you, listen to hwat I have to say. I've been there, I've belived it all. I've thought I could NEVER lose Carol. I even sinned. I lied and disobeyed my parents just to talk to her. That's wrong. And she encouraged it. That's even worse. Someone call her out, please. Someone tell her she shouldn't encourage sin. Please. Someone change, please. I'm begging my sweet Jesus to open your eyes. Please, brothers and sisters. I was there and now I feel so free! I can be me again in Christ! I can sing and dance, I can just feel free!!! It's great! It's the same feeling you ahve when you're first saved! Try it and if you don't like it run back to Carol, but I guarantee you, a life with dependance upon Jesus is more amazing than anything Carol could ever convince you of. Try staying away from her for just one week and praying and seeking God and remember everyting she told you and align it with the Word. See if you ever "look back like Lot's wife." See if you ever want to be under her bondage again. I know I never ever will. I love my freedom in Christ! I am praying for you all and I trust the Lord will bring you out from under her control in His perfect timing. - Emily Dale

Posted by: GvGODGlry ()
Date: July 14, 2007 06:57AM

Hey Emily
I was reading your posting on here and saw that Carol had called herself an angel. The only reference I could find in the whole bible says:
II Corinthians 11:12-15 ""And what I do I will continue to do, in order to undermine the claim of those who would like to claim that in their [b:6f4006fc17][u:6f4006fc17]boasted mission[/u:6f4006fc17][/b:6f4006fc17] they work on the same terms that we do. For such men are false apostles of Christ. And no wonder, for even [u:6f4006fc17][b:6f4006fc17]Satan disguises himself as an angel of light.[/b:6f4006fc17][/u:6f4006fc17] So it is not strange if [u:6f4006fc17][b:6f4006fc17]his servants also disguise themselves as servants of righteousness[/b:6f4006fc17][/u:6f4006fc17]. Their end will correspond to their deeds.

I only saw one verse in the whole bible that references an angel of light. It is what Satan disguises himself as. This would be a huge sign that she is not of God. Otherwise why would she call herself something that only refers to Satan in Gods word. Scary yet very revealing. When someone who is not of God uses the word to manipulate people they will always end up revealing themselves. I believe this is why when she preaches she skips topics and around the bible a lot. She CANNOT stay on one subject for the whole sermon or in one passage the whole sermon without revealing the truth about herself. She is not a prophet of God. :idea:

I also believe that the part of the verse where it says "those who would like to claim that in their [u:6f4006fc17][b:6f4006fc17]boasted mission [/b:6f4006fc17][/u:6f4006fc17]they work on the same terms as we do." There is spirit of spiritual superiority in the group. There is a Carol’s way or the highway attitude. If you don't align with them you are either deceived or a deceiver. They either begin to cut off contact with you or kick you out of their group.

It is crazy too-the item you reference where she was sending out all the overnight packages to her kids and old pastor. I was there that particular week. They were getting the house together for at the end of the week when it was time for us to leave. She was getting ready for visitors she claimed God was going to bring to the house. She was having a few of the members of the church running around making copies, getting the packets together to ship to her kids. She was saying something about restoration or something along those lines. It is all true what you said about sending out items to her kids and old pastor. The fact it never came to pass should be another major sign.

Posted by: GvGODGlry ()
Date: July 14, 2007 12:38PM

tylrshr
Mark has painted a very nasty picture, he claims that people are under such control that they can't think for themselves, can't speak without getting permission to, can' even use the restroom without permission. THAT IS WHAT A CULT IS. ............. His pastor met Carol and told Mark he had the problem not her. Mark refused to believe. After Mark and I seperated, after 15 years of marrage, he still continued his badgering against Carol and me for believing her. He committed adultery and we were soon divorced. Mark has not let this go, even after 4 years of being seperated. He rarely talks to his children and hasn't seen them in over 2 years. He posted this 11/2 years after we moved. He doesn't know the kids, their situations, or anything about them. His children from our marrage have seen for themselves his hatred for Carol and myself first hand. He has claimed that i corrupted them against him, but he did it himself. I just pray that it is not too late for him or his new wife to come out of darkness.
Shari Taylor

No a cult is not a group that you have to ask when to pee....actually here is what a cult is:

Checklist of Cult Characteristics

"Comparing the following statements to the group with which you or a family member or loved one is involved may help you determine if this involvement is cause for concern. If you check any of these items as characteristic of the group in question, and particularly if you check many of them you may well be dealing with a cult and should critically examine the group and its relationship to you or your loved one.

1) The group is focused on a living leader to whom members display excessively zealous, unquestioning commitment. [b:b9cd9962c1][u:b9cd9962c1]Anyone who goes against what Carol says is removed from the group. If you are outside of the group the person will no longer communicate with you[/u:b9cd9962c1][/b:b9cd9962c1]

2) The group is preoccupied with bringing in new members and/or making money. [u:b9cd9962c1][b:b9cd9962c1]This group has even went to extremes to try to recruit teens once their paretns have told them to no longer have contact with them. The group justifes flat out lying as long as it is to further their group[/b:b9cd9962c1][/u:b9cd9962c1]

3) Questioning, doubt, and dissent are discouraged. [u:b9cd9962c1][b:b9cd9962c1]Carol makes members feel like they are just spiritualy inept if they truely question her. Acts like their hearts are not right if not aligned with her[/b:b9cd9962c1][/u:b9cd9962c1]

4) Mind-numbing techniques (for example: meditation, chanting, denunciation sessions, or debilitating work routines) are used to suppress members' doubts. [b:b9cd9962c1][u:b9cd9962c1]All members of the church do some kind of chores for Carol Brown. She even goes as far as to tell them how often to change their sheets ect.[/u:b9cd9962c1][/b:b9cd9962c1]

5) The group's leadership dictates how members should think, act, and feel (for example: members must get permission from leaders to date, change jobs, or get married;) leaders may determine types of clothes to wear, where to live, how to discipline children, and so forth. [b:b9cd9962c1][u:b9cd9962c1]Carol had my sister convinced to throw all her husbands clothes in a dumpster, had to approve my nephews name, makes people get rid of all belongings she considers to be tied to their past. INCLUDING FAMILY if they don't conform to their beleifs. [/u:b9cd9962c1][/b:b9cd9962c1]

6) The group is elitist, claiming a special, exalted status for itself, it's leader(s), and members (for example: the leader is considered the Messiah or an avatar; the group and/or the leader has a special mission to save humanity). [b:b9cd9962c1][u:b9cd9962c1]Carol Brown is on tape saying she is an angel and she also says she is a prophet. This is also a sign of delusions of grandeur, which is a mental disorder. [/u:b9cd9962c1][/b:b9cd9962c1]

7) The group has a polarized we-they mentality that causes conflict with the wider society.

8) The group's leader is not accountable to any authorities (as are, for example, military commanders and ministers, priests, monks, and rabbis of mainstream denominations).

9) The group teaches or implies that its "superior" ends justify means that members would have
considered unethical before joining the group (for example: collecting money for bogus charities). [b:b9cd9962c1][u:b9cd9962c1]This is proven by having underage kids contact then against their parents will, including having them obtain and hide cell phones. [/u:b9cd9962c1][/b:b9cd9962c1]

10) The group's leadership induces guilt feelings in members in order to control then

11) Members'subservience to the group causes them to give up previous personal goats and interests while devoting inordinate amounts of time to the groups."

12) Members are encouraged or required to live and/or socialize only with other group members. [b:b9cd9962c1][u:b9cd9962c1]This is very true for this group. If they cannot convert you you are cast aside. They begin to limit contact and eventually cut you off completly. They have their teens drop out of school instead of staying in and being a light unto the world as the school systems need. [/u:b9cd9962c1][/b:b9cd9962c1]

[u:b9cd9962c1][i:b9cd9962c1][b:b9cd9962c1]Carols group for sure has 8 out of 12 of the checklist. She probably has the other 4 as well I just have no proof yet. [/color:b9cd9962c1][/b:b9cd9962c1][/i:b9cd9962c1][/u:b9cd9962c1]

[i:b9cd9962c1]Carol Brown what is in Darkness will come to light. You picked the wrong family to try to steal and destroy a member of. We love Kearsten with all our hearts. We will never lay down and die. We will let her now how much we love her to the end and one day you will be exposed to her. In the name of the blood of Jesus I claim that my sisters eyes will be open, her heart warmed and her discernment retruned to see you for what you are. In the name of the blood of Jesus I cammand you to loose your hold on my sister and her children. I rebuke and bind you in the name of Jesus. We will never quit praying for her and therfore your days will be filled with spiritual warfar from heaven as long as you keep a hold on her. Kearsten the love and determination you feel to protect your children is what I am feeling for you. When you know a loved one is in trouble you ache and hurt for them with everything you have. I love you whole heartedly and claim victory for you and your sons in the name of Jesus. You have a true heart for God and i see him using this experience for you to do great things. I see you now and weep for you. I want to see you once again out here winning lost souls. I MISS AND LOVE YOU WITH EVERYTHING I HAVE. Open your eyes and see the deceit. I LOVE YOU SIS[/i:b9cd9962c1]

Posted by: miken7640 ()
Date: July 16, 2007 01:24PM

WOW!!!!!
This whole thing is sooo getting blown out! This is the bottom line, I have been at this church for 9 years next month and can attest to the spiritial growth and maturity I have experienced in my life and walk with God, whom I give all the praise for that TRANSFORMATION not to ANY man! I am also grateful for a person like Carol who has been so commited to me and my family, teaching and most importantly exemplifing for me Christ-like behavor in the face of much opposition. Who am I??? I am a 33 year old normal guy who works hard ,has friends outside the church, a husband and father of two wonderful kids. I am succesful in my career. I have two sisters and a brother, a mother and stepfather, who dispite what has been discribed, am in regular contact with them eventhough only one of them is a "member". I Lead a very social life-style with my family and friends and do so ,to the best of my abillity, without conforming to the world because that pleases God not man! The main reason I wanted to speak out is because of the out-right lies being told (not taught as some would have you believe). Being a "member for as long as I have I can refute these lies but I won't. They are that false. With the exception of one person everyone who has left has done so on their own free will and has left to pursue worldly desires and cares. I am still here because I know that I am taught the truth and am cared for by a true sheperd. I can't really say it any more plainly than that. Carol doesn't claim or ever claimed to be an angel but clearly anger and resentment has blinded people to the obvious love Carol has for the BODY of Christ! I don't want to get into a "he said she said" game. Again I just want to witness to the change in my life which God has done and the help that I've been given from Carol.

Posted by: emilydaleOhio ()
Date: July 18, 2007 03:15AM

This is Emily Dale again and yes, Carol Brown DID say she was an angel, I have it on TAPE!!! I will send you all a copy if you would like! It's on a tape that she sent to me! It's the very first words on the tape actually. I will send it to you and also, a very good friend of mine who I led to the church told me over the phone just a few days ago that Carol claimed to be "an angel of light" to her. Carol is very manipulative sometimes and only says certain things to certain people. To the "more mature" in her eyes, she tells more. She has told me, my friend, and on those tapes that she is an angel. Yes, she also claimed she had an angel visitation, but she did say she was an angel. Also, yes you have friends outside the church and I never said I didn't. I said she was encouraging me to cut off my family and has done the same to other members. She uses the excuse, "they're a hindrance," but my family needs Jesus and I won't cut them off just because my "pastor" tells me they're a hindrance. The bottom line is she wants certain people to lose their families so she can be their family, their mother, their grandma, whatever. She even has the kids out there calling her "grandma!" How is that not proof? I am sorry, I agreed iwth every little thing Carol said up until now and my eyes are opened wide and I see the way she manipulated me. No, I didn't leave that church to follow worldly selfish desires. I am pursuing Christ in a way I never have before, spending my time always in the Word adn prayer. I am not running back to sin and by you saying everyone who left left for a negative reason is a typical sign of a cult! Cults always say former members had "no legitimate reason to leave, former followers are always wrong in leaving, negative, or evil." In what way have I left in order to follow my selfish desires or sin???? In what way? I have not, but I have left to follow Jesus and Jesus alone. I will not let Carol Brown tell me I can't drive a black car, how often to change my sheets, and to leave my family. That is NONSENSE! She was controlling me. No, I didn't pull out from EVERY social activity, but I became less me, more Carol. I THOUGHt it was less me, more Jesus, but now that I step out of it, I feel more JEsus. My prayer times were so hindered that all I did was pray over the things Carol told me to. Now I pray and pray and I LOVE it again!!!! I'm so excited that I can adore Jesus the way I used to. I know I was in a wrong churhc before Carol's church, but I never stopped seeking God. Why, Carol, have you not responded to this? Don't you have anything to say to me or to say that you have never claimed to be an angel? Why? If you really thought I was leaving for selfish and ungodly reasons, why have you not written so? Because you know the truth in the bottom of your heart. That you DID claim to be an angel, that you are NOT an angel and that you control too much in your sheep's lives. I respect you, Carol, for the time you dedicated to prayer and the life you told me about leading. But what happened? Why do your sheep live in low-income homes and you in a big, nice fancy one iwth a pool and hot tub? I can't get my mind around it. From the very beginning, I had my doubts nad even Kearsten said, "I doubted her at first," but something happened. I closed the door to doubt because I WAS hearing good thigns too. Carol DOES teach the Bible, but she ADDS to the Bible. That's the problem. Can anyone give biblical proof that spiders mean there's a demon around? Can someone in the church give me any biblical proof? That there folks is adding to the Bible. There is no proof of that. She is adding things. Carol, I'm sorry, I know you do teach seperation from the world and holiness, but it's all about Jesus and the Word and telling me to lie is just wrong. Someone defend that one please. Why would a pastor tell their sheep to lie, to their parents!!!!????? Why? They wouldn't. A true pastor would not. Carol, you even said when you yourself lied to my mom, that you called your husband and said, "pray for me, I lied." He said something like you were protecting me or something, well you weren't. You were opening up doors so the enemy could hold a sin on me, a sin that my pastor told me was no sin at all. Lying is a sin. Sin is sin no matter what the effects of it. Tell me why an angel would have to call their husband (even though angels don't marry) and tell their husband they lied??? Also, there is no accountability higher than her husband? Does no one hold Carol accountable other than her husband, who in this situation appeased her lie? There is no accountability! Carol has too much freedom to control out there. I know, you guys, I lived it for a year and a half. I talked to most of you, and I know exactly how your mindset it. Why is it that my mind would change in 4 hours and I feel like chains have literally dropped off of my heart? I feel so free in Jesus now. You wouldn't understand, but I pray each of you will. Carol has thigns so that you don't even question your lifestyles. You guys, humble yourselves for a minute to see if maybe you are doing things wrong. I was so self-righteous and thought I was one of the ONLY ONES ON THE NARROW PATH!!! Guess what? I don't get to determine that! I must pray and press on, but who am I to say, "me, Carol, Kearsten, etc., we're all going to heaven and those people aren't." I'm no one to say that. And That was MY attitude, maybe that is your secret inward attitude too, and that's judging the world, which is strictly prohibited by the Word of God. We are only to judge those inside the church. Carol, you did teach me well, I admit. You did tell me many goodthings, yes. That's why I was tricked into beliving the bad. Just like the last church I was involved in. I left because I couldn't understand why my offerings were going to buy him a big screen TV and nice clothes when there were poor unbelivers all over the world who need BIbles. Ironically, I ran to the same situation. It's upsetting. Yes, I know you do send money to some good causes, etc. But God's money shouldn't be used to buy manicures and a whole new wardrobe for the already provided for members of the church. It should be used for GOD'S purposes. And don't tell me buying a 16 year old a manicure for the heck of it is God's purposes. I have no clue why I didn't see through this before, guys. I have no clue. I couldn't see because I was in a mindset of "no doubting, or you might end up going backwards and if you leave, you might go to hell." That was kind of my chain of thought. I didn't realize it then, but I do now. That's why I'm blowing this up! Not because I'm mad, angry, or "fleshly." I am concerned that all of you are missing out on JEsus because you're so focused on Carol's church. If she was a true pastor, you would feel so free to question her. I'm not takling as her what a scriputre verse means, I'm talking ask her why the heck she cares if people have black trucks? I'm talking ask her why she wanted me to leave my family and cut them off? I'm talking ask her why she thinks her only sin is "chocolate."? I'm talking ask her why her prophesies don't come true? Ask her why she said she was an angel? Ask her why her husband lives really far away and she doesn't go there in submission? Ask her why she became the leader? Ask her why why why? Then, align her answers with the word. She would say something like, "oh they misinterpreted what I was saying in the spiritual in the physical." In what way is she explaining herslef according to the word to to you? If you get an answer like that, go to another pastor. It's true, her sermons have much talk and little scriputre, her phone conversations have much talk and little scriputre. When there is scripture, how deep is it church? How far does she go? How far do you all go? Look at the fruit? Mike, please tell me where the fruit is. I can't find any stinkin' fruit and that's why I left. I refuse to be fruitless because I sit under a fruitless teacher. Yes, I know we all came out of sin and we're all doing better than before, but that shouldn't be credited to CArol, only Jesus. So why did I feel so chained to Carol? I felt like I couldn't go look at other churches. Yes, there's corruption out there, but I'm telling you church, look deep. There's corruption in our church too. Much corruption. Oh yeah, one time I asked Carol what happens to Christians when we die and she said we go right to be with Jesus. Then my friend asked her this same question and she said, "we go into a slumber I think. But I haven't studied that much yet." Tell me, what pastor doesn't know this answer as to what they belive? How can she live day to day preaching the Word of God and not know what happens to Christians when they die? I know you will all say, "she's lying, she's lying." But why would I lie about this? Why would I care so much as to beg all of you to test your pastor? Why would I care if my heart wasn't exactly like yours in following her? I care about you, that's why I'm telling you this. It's interesting that you say all I have to say is lies because that's what Carol always said everything that opposed her was. Lies. I don't know why it took me so long to listen to the "lies" of my family adn friends who cared about me before I left her church. Hear me out, please. Pretend for just a minute that what I'm saying is NOT a lie, is the truth. Consider that your pastor is on a CULT website and at least study and see what one is. Do you really want to be involved in something so fishy? I know you say the true church will be persecuted, yes yes. They will, but a true church doesn't follow a self proclaiming "angel/prophet" to the death. A true church follows JESUS anywhere and everyone, willing to suffer anything for HIS name. I've been thinking about it, adn what if God really wanted me to go to africa as a missionary. ok? But I would have been so preoccupied with Carol and following her in all around the country, and trying to get "mature" according to her standards, and completely missed my calling? Chelsea felt MUCH pressure from Carol to not go to college. So, she hadn't really decided yet. Now that she's out from under Carol, she was praying and said, "I feel so called to be a surgeon!" WOW! That's years of work and sweat to obey God's call, but she's willing, and the scary part is, that Chelsea could have missed her calling because Carol would have had her move out there and then who knows what? She probabably would have been pressured into working and not pursuing the call upon her life. Amber, I was praying for you one day during last summer, and the image of a nurse went through my mind and I felt that might be the calling God had for you. I shared it with KEarsten, who told me you actually HAD considered that. I told Carol and she wondered why I had told KEarsten, expected me to always go to her first, and then said not to tell you that, to let you figure it out on your own and said God showed me that just so I could pray for you. Well, Amber, now where are you? Working where Carol wnated all of us out here to work: Goodwill. Why? Because she wants the control over us. What if God's call on your life was for you to be a nurse? Would you, will you, ever pursue that? I don't know. It's a scary thing when someone pushes you away from the place God has for you. Carol, I know you think you're doing it all right and stuff, but please look and these things. Please humble yourself long enough to realize you might be wrong. Church out there, that was the hardest part for me - realizing I was wrong. Wronger than wronger, I was a hypocrite. I called myself a Christian, yet I lied, I disobeyed my parents, and I thought everyone else that I knew who wasn't in contact with Carol was going to hell (probably). That's how I thought. Now, even if that's not how you thought, don't you think a good pastor would have weeded out these bad thoughts from my mind by now? Don't you think a good pastor would have made it clear that there ARE others going to heaven and we are NOT THE ONES TO JUDGE??? Carol told me once that Mother Theresa was going to hell. She did say, "only God's the judge, but I belive she's going to hell. Not woman can carry around a rosary like that and still make it into heaven." Okay, whatver, yes rosaries are awful in my opinion, but who is ANYONE to say that ANYONE is going to hell? Everyone always told me this and I pushed it off and said in my mind, "well she is going to hell!" But people, listen. The Word of God does not permit you to say these things about people, to think these things about people. How I slept at night condenming so many to hell in my mind is beyond me? Why, church, is Mike the only one to attepmt to justify Carol's actions? Why can the pastor not even say, "no, I never called myself an angel?" that's my big question. She was never afraid to talk to me for a whole year and half even though my parents told her not to, but now she won't even give me some scriputre to support her actions. Chruch, promise me that if I send you those tapes and you hear her say she's an angel, you will question her. Promise me this. I love you too much to see you blindly follow man without considering the Word of God. I miss you too much to let you all go. That's why I fight so hard for you. Carol, I care for you so much that I want you to understand the hurt you brought me so you won't do the same to others. You all don't understand the change she caused in me, the silence she smacked upon my lips. She dried up my heart for God and stole my zeal, always saying, "don't lose you zeal!" But actions speak louder than words, friends. I lost my zeal while under her, but the day I was set free from her leadership, I got it back! I have a zeal for my savior and firend Jesus like never before! Kearsten, please listen. We both went into this and I'm pulling out. At least question something!!!! You owe yourself, your boys that. We questioned our last pastor and that's why we left. Question this one. There might be Lots and Lots of good that you see, but please deeply consider these things I'm bringing up. A good pastor would tell it's sheep to be educated about cults so they wouldn't fall into one. So, if Carol doesn't preach this, do it yourself. Educate yourself on cults. If you find Carol's group to be absolutely not guilty, then at least you'll know for next time. I always thought cults were dark, creepy, groups and dangerous suicidal plots. But that's not it at all. A cult is a group of people following usually a set leader for an reason other than the innocent purpose that is claimed by the leader. I belive Carol may be leading, unconciously, a cult because she is leading people to follow her and her ideas and thoughts, over the Word of God, which is the purpose she preaches. I know this is nearly impossible for all of you to see, it was for me too, but be guaranteed, I will never stop warring for you all in prayer, begging God to make it possible for you to see the reality of your leadership and lifestyle. Please, continue to reply to my comments. Please, don't belive that I am a liar, that is not true. I'm only repeating the things I've heard from her mouth. Fight my lies if you think they're false, I'll listen. Fight my arguments if you think they're unfair, I'll listen. But don't be so silent as to only listen to Carol's side - "she's a liar!"-Is probably what she's said about me. If you're not gonna argue with her, argue with me. But don't be sitting ducks for the enemy. Take an active role in your spiritual life. Make your own decisions based on prayer and the Word rather than what Carol or I say. Follow Jesus, not man. Kearsten, I bet if you had a child in the New Testament church times, you would have never considered running to Paul and saying, "should I name my baby this?" Paul would say, "foolish woman, seek first the kingdom of God. I am not your source of answers, go to God." So why does Carol think she has the authority to tell you "yes" and "no." Just think about it, please. I miss you so much. I don't belive it's God's will that we be cut of from eachother. God wouldn't cut Christians off from other Christians and the bible says that brothers and sisters and "those who obey the commands of God." Cady Jo, the only way Carol could justify you cutting me off is by saying I'm not a sister to you, meaning I don't obey the word. How can she say such a thing about me? you should know better than to listen to that. And if you're only cutting me off because Carol thinks I'm a hindrance or you think I'll change your beliefs about Carol, that's rediculous. Christians don't cut Christians off. Bottom line. I loved you enough to pray you out of hell last time and I love you enough to get you your freedom in Christ this time. Trust me, you don't understand the control that you're under in her group until you're out from under it. Still, many of your are not as severely under her control because she knows you would fight it, you would leave, like Chris, Mike. The men. But us women are more easily to control, especially the younger of us, Cady Jo, Kearsten, me. The men are the natural leaders of the home and she doesn't know how to manipulate them as well, but us women are much easier to control and I took that junk. She controlled me. That's why some of you don't understand what I'm takling about, because it didn't happen to you as severely. But don't give her a chance. Find a legitimate church and pastor. I'm not talking a building with a swimming pool, I'm talking a ligitimate Bible-beliving church group. If you want me to send you a copy of that tape, I will. Whatever you want, I'll help you. Just ask me, really. I love you all and I'm praying for you.

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.