Pastor Gene Profeta
Posted by: richardmgreen ()
Date: October 06, 2002 03:14AM

I think this was the evangelist who was toppled by Jessica Hahn and his church was very close to the Hickman church I went to. And of course, the were both rivals.
Profeta's people constantly went around saying how "... God was going to do great things..." Exactly what, they didn't know.
My parents went to his church to spy on it years ago. The walls in the main room were lined with crutches that people discarded after being "healed".
My father told me, that when Profeta was calling people to be healed that some people next to my father looked at each other with a look that suggested "... this week it's my turn..."
I saw an expose on TV about some Televangelist who had a
radio transmitter in his ear and he'd go around the audience telling people who they were and how they needed to be healed.
And the people thought it was miraculous. Well, when the people entered the building, if they had a problem they were told to fill out a form with the details. And the con artist worked from that and from the unscrupulous people who relayed to him were a given person was seated and what their problem was.
PT Barnum said it best, but maybe the internet can help neutralize these parasitic con men.

Options: ReplyQuote
Pastor Gene Profeta
Posted by: VTHokie ()
Date: October 07, 2002 08:50PM

Jessica Hahn toppled Jim Bakker after he raped her.

Pastor Gene Profeta
Posted by: richardmgreen ()
Date: October 07, 2002 11:01PM

Originally posted by VTHokie
Jessica Hahn toppled Jim Bakker after he raped her.

I'm going to have to research this one for the name of the prostitute, but Profeta was also brought down. Sexual indescretions in the religion business tend to be dealt with pretty severly. And his problem was also in the news, but he's not as widely known as Baker, because Baker made use of mass media.

Pastor Gene Profeta
Posted by: Claire ()
Date: November 02, 2002 02:26PM

Peter Popov was the name of the evangelist with the ear microphone. I don't believe Jessica Hahn was raped.

Re: Pastor Gene Profeta
Posted by: al3r ()
Date: March 10, 2008 01:15PM

Yes, Peter Popoff, from Upland CA. He is still on TV, you can catch him usually around 3-4 AM on the BET network. Where God Guides, God provides.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.