Current Page: 2 of 3
Soka Gakkai
Posted by: johnhaydon ()
Date: August 20, 2006 05:45AM

Rick,

Just curious. How are you defining cult? Please clarify what negative results one should look for in someone who potentially is in a cult. And I mean negative effects - and how these effects play out in a person's life.

Thanks,

John

Options: ReplyQuote
Soka Gakkai
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: August 20, 2006 06:09AM

Soka Gakkai
Date: August 20, 2006 12:37PM

Rick,

Thanks for your reply. If people do not diplay the signs listed in "Ten warning signs regarding people involved in/with a potentially unsafe group/leader.", can one assume that they are not part of a cult?

John

Soka Gakkai
Date: August 20, 2006 08:59PM

Soka Gakkai members typically do display those signs if you have a focused discussion with them about Ikeda, SGI and its history.

I have spoken and emailed with quite a few and they have demonstrated the "warning signs" repeatedly.

Soka Gakkai
Date: August 20, 2006 09:12PM

Rick,

If member don't show these signs, why are considered a cult? If the signs aren't there then maybe the Soka Gakkai is a "good cult". Maybe they are a cult of positivity?

John

Soka Gakkai
Date: August 20, 2006 09:16PM

Or, maybe in a desire to prove yourself right, you either don't ask the right questions or refuse to deal with the answers/situation.

It's called "denial."

Soka Gakkai
Date: August 20, 2006 09:28PM

Rick,

OK, let me try again. If one has a focused discussion on Daisaku Ikeda, and still the ten signs are not there, then what should one assume?

John

Soka Gakkai
Posted by: tinyyogini ()
Date: August 20, 2006 09:38PM

Don't ask me how I did it, but I found the achived blog entries from www.sokacult.com which were written by Lisa Jones, a former SGI member and employee who worked for them as a "paid propagandist".

[web.archive.org]

[web.archive.org]

I found this writing to be incredibly compelling and clear.

Soka Gakkai
Date: August 20, 2006 09:41PM

Johnhaydon:

So you asked about times that Ikeda has made wrong decsions and/or had done something wrong and the person questioned offered several examples and made it clear he or she frequently disagreed with Ikeda's policies and decisions?

What are some specific examples?

You discussed Ikeda and SGI history of bad press and criticism about the group. What was the response specifically?

You asked the person about people that have left SGI and the complaints they have raised? What was the specific response to that question?

You asked about Ikeda's authority over the group? Did the person quewstioned indicate that SGI is democratic and therefore Ikeda could be removed through its bylaws?

You asked for independently audited financial discloure documents. And then the SGI-involved person offered you a published annual report that idicated any and all compensation, salaries and expenses paid out from SGI?

Please outline the discussion a bit more specifically and how it specifically included these points and the responses to such specific points.

You are being too general without offering specifics.

Soka Gakkai
Date: August 20, 2006 10:06PM

Rick,

The person questioned had very reasonable and clear answers. In addition, they acknowledged several mistakes made in the SGI in how the organization was run - specifically in the United States. This person also clarified their commitment, personally, to improve the SGI - even if on a micro level.

We also discussed Daisaku Ikeda, who this member does not view as absolute authority. Nichiren Daishonin is the "ultimate mentor" that this member focuses on. In terms of allegations, we talked about the negative Japanese media and how no formal criminal decisions were ever handed to Daisaku Ikeda from a judge. Why would thinking people, political and academic leaders all over the world, dialogue and even co-author books with Daisaku Ikeda if he were an evil authoritarian controlling millions of people?

In terms of people who have left the SGI, this person remains friends with several of them and completely understands why they left - most of them during the 80's and early 90's.

By the way, how many SGI discussion meetings have you directly observed? How many people have contacted this year with negative experiences in the SGI?

John

Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.