Cults and the Net: question for the group
Posted by: number6 ()
Date: July 31, 2003 05:07AM

We often hear about the use of the Internet by cults for PR, recruiting, etc. But I'd like to look at another side. Prior to the Internet, the collapse of a major cult seemed to be a very gradual process (such as the Worldwide Church and Christian Science). But we've just seen two such groups—the International Church of Christ and the Geftakys "assembly"—go south within a year of each other, and very quickly.

My question is this: Could the Internet, and increased access to information in general, have been a factor in the downfalls of two very formidable groups? If so, are there likely to be more? I'd particularly like to hear responses from former members of these groups. Was your decision to leave influenced by things you found online? Also, many groups (e.g., Amway) now seem to be focusing their attentions on the former Third World, where Internet access is rare. Could they be catching on?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: richardmgreen ()
Date: August 01, 2003 05:24AM

Originally posted by number6
We often hear about the use of the Internet by cults for PR, recruiting, etc. But I'd like to look at another side. Prior to the Internet, the collapse of a major cult seemed to be a very gradual process (such as the Worldwide Church and Christian Science). But we've just seen two such groups—the International Church of Christ and the Geftakys "assembly"—go south within a year of each other, and very quickly.

(RMG's reply: I didn't know that the ICOC was going under. They're still active in NJ near me.)

My question is this: Could the Internet, and increased access to information in general, have been a factor in the downfalls of two very formidable groups?
(RMG's reply : the net allows you to do a lot of reconnaisance and test out what others have to say about their experiences. There are a lot of similarities between cults, their respective leaders and the ramifications of being part of a cult and leaving).
If so, are there likely to be more?
(RMG's reply: Information now gets out really quickly.Preventing people from joining in the first place is the best idea.)

I'd particularly like to hear responses from former members of these groups. Was your decision to leave influenced by things you found online? Also, many groups (e.g., Amway) now seem to be focusing their attentions on the former Third World, where Internet access is rare. Could they be catching on?

Posted by: Hope ()
Date: August 04, 2003 07:26AM

who is making false claims about his experience is advertising on the internet. Although he is on the other side of the world right now, the internet makes the planet quite small.

He was very much into LE while in the states, broke rules of ethics for professionals, and boasted about illegal behavior. If any adverse reactions occured with clients, he disappeared for a while, but later blamed them and was not at all concerned for there physical or emotional health.

How can one use the internet to forewarn people about these types?

Posted by: richardmgreen ()
Date: August 05, 2003 01:08AM

Originally posted by Hope

How can one use the internet to forewarn people about these types?
With the internet and with Rick's site and the other anti-cult sites a person can do a lot of checking out of a group's claims. All religious groups say they work wonders for their members. Until they leave or get burned.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.