Always Do a Background Check
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: August 18, 2022 04:30PM

Wanting to brush up my writing skills, I picked up some old booklets with these title:

The Thinker's Guide

How to Read a Paragraph
How to Study & Learn
How to Write a Paragraph

Curious, I thought I should if there was more to know.

I used these search terms and ran Google.

"foundation for critical thinking" lawsuit

(Using quotation marks does an exact phrase search)

Found this in Courthouse News Service

Critical Thinking Organization Likened to Cult
Rebekah Kearn / August 6, 2013

SANTA ROSA, Calif. (CN) - In a lurid lawsuit, a former employee claims the Marin County-based Foundation for Critical Thinking is a "cultlike" group whose married bosses tried to make him have sex with the wife, and fired him for refusing.

Enoch Hale sued The Foundation for Critical Thinking, Linda Elder and her husband Richard Paul, in Sonoma County Court.

Hale, a 40-year-old married man and father, claims he quit his job as a high school teacher to accept an offer to work as a "full-time Fellow" for the Foundation for Critical Thinking (FCT) in August 2004.

According to the complaint, the Foundation for Critical Thinking, based in Tomales, "trains educators how to analyze information in an 'objective 'fair-minded' manner, without allowing their own biases, prejudices and opinions to influence their objective analysis of an issue. It is a 'think tank' of sorts that promotes a casual work environment. Defendants Elder and Paul frequently hold meetings at both FCT offices and their personal residence, where they sit and lie on the floor amongst pillows. To encourage the free flow of ideas, defendants Elder and Paul often discuss uncomfortable topics, and encourage employees to rid themselves of social, including sexual, taboos. The cult-like unprofessional atmosphere present at FCT and nurtured by defendants Elder and Paul created a hostile work environment for FTC [sic] employees, including Hale."

Full article can be read here:

[www.courthousenews.com]

Note on search method:

Here are the search results obtained using these search terms

"foundation for critical thinking" lawsuit

Google Search Accessed 8/19/2022 1:37 PST

About 212,000 results (0.48 seconds)

SANTA ROSA, Calif. (CN) - In a lurid lawsuit, a former employee claims the Marin County-based Foundation for Critical Thinking is a "cultlike" group whose married bosses tried to make him have sex with the wife, and fired him for refusing.

Critical Thinking Organization Likened to Cult
[www.courthousenews.com] › critical-thinking-orga...
About featured snippets

Feedback

Foundation for Critical Thinking
[www.criticalthinking.org]
The Foundation for Critical Thinking offers customized webinars and six-week online training programs on critical thinking in a multitude of topics, ...
?Bookstore · ?Fundamentals of... · ?Create a CriticalThinking.Org... · ?Research

Foundation for critical thinking lawsuit - Google My Maps
[www.google.com] › maps › viewer
Aug 27, 2017 — Foundation for critical thinking lawsuit. If the chain of evidence is broken, a defendant may be able to persuade the judge to declare the ...

Linda Elder - Wikipedia
[en.wikipedia.org] › wiki › Linda_Elder
Linda Elder is an American educational psychologist, author and president of the Foundation for Critical Thinking. She is currently an executive director of ...
?Early life and career · ?Research topics · ?Bibliography

Courthouse News Service - RSSing.com
[obstruct.rssing.com] › chan-1803631 › all_p266
Enoch Hale sued The Foundation for Critical Thinking, Linda Elder and her husband Richard Paul, in Sonoma County Court. Hale, a 40-year-old married man and ...

The Passing of a Critical Thinking Giant: Richard Paul (1937 ...
[www.skeptic.com] › reading_room › richard-paul-tr...
Dr. Richard Paul (1937–2015) — the founder and iconic force behind the Foundation for Critical Thinking — passed away on August 30, 2015 after a lengthy ...

"The Foundation for Critical Thinking" (BERKELEY
[www.politique-actu.com] › philosophe › the-foun...
with Dr Linda Elder The Center for Critical Thinking and Moral Critique and the Foundation for Critical Thinking — two sister educational non-profit ...

Foundation for critical thinking lawsuit medical malpractice | on ...
[cairnmrlzx.web.fc2.com] › ...
Lawsuit malpractice medical critical thinking for Foundation. The Medical Malpractice Myth ... Foundation For Critical Thinking Lawsuit Medical Malpractice ...

Learning Matters: The Transformation of US Higher Education
[books.google.com] › books
Wendy Leeds-Hurwitz, ?Peter Sloat Hoff · 2012 · ?Education, Higher
Dillon Beach, CA: The Foundation for Critical Thinking. ... dailyreport/harris-seeks-millions-profit-college-lawsuit-12070 Perkins, D. (1999).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2022 05:07PM by corboy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Always Do a Background Check
Posted by: shamrock ()
Date: August 19, 2022 09:00AM

I've noticed that a common subtext to cult messaging is, "There's something defective about you, but I can set you straight." People then get hooked into proving to the cult leader that they are now okay.

You can see it in these titles: "How to Read a Paragraph." The implication is that you've been reading paragraphs wrong all your life. But Linda Elder and her husband Richard Paul can straighten you out.

A certain proportion of people will get hooked into that dynamic. From now on, the cult leaders have the power to decide whether or not you are an okay person.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.