Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
"knowledge book"/mevlana cult
Posted by: bond_orange ()
Date: March 13, 2006 04:02AM

first I need the experts input whether it is a cult.
more info [www.dkb-mevlana.org.tr]

basically a turkish lady channelled a book, claiming to be the new book after the bible, new testimony and koran.

people joining the studing group, have to meet twice a week for about 2 hours.
they read the book in the meeting, they need to call the lady in turkey before starting each session.
claim to be missioanries, they have to distribute the book to a new person each week.
odd thing is that no money seems to be involved (at this stage)

please help

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: March 13, 2006 04:22AM

Posted by: finnster ()
Date: March 13, 2006 10:43PM

bond_orange,

It is usually difficult to make an assessment from a group's writings or website to determine whether a group is a "destructive" cult. I use the word "destructive", since the word "cult" by itself could mean anything as you can see in the FAQ that rrmoderator has referred you to.

However, after reading through the website and your comments about this woman claiming to have channeled a book which is the new sacred book after the bible, koran, etc. leads me to think that there could be a serious problem with this organization which may be a destructive cult. Especially, with weekly meetings and revering this woman in every meeting, etc.

I should note that by using "mevlana" in their logo and claim to base their philosophy on "his ideas", she is trying to build up credibility which is , to me, another sign to put this organization in question.

I should also emphasize that her claim about channeling a book, text, etc. is not anything new. There have been many people making such claims throughout history. The primary reason for some of these to survive and continue to influence as long they have is basically marketing skills that they used to spread their ideas (of course, it wasn't called marketing back then). She is neither the first nor the last to do so.

The bottom-line is that you should be very careful about getting involved with such organizations, since you will not know their true motives/agenda until you are deep in the organization at which point it would be very difficult to get out.

Date: March 15, 2006 11:42PM

there doent seem any money involved, is it just influence?

Posted by: finnster ()
Date: March 16, 2006 06:48AM

Although, this particular group doesn't appear to ask for money, that doesn't mean they will not when you're more committed to the group later on. At which point such requests to the followers would be framed as making a gift, donating, or serving a higher purpose. Also, you will be asked to get more involved and spend more of your time with group activities. None of this would be revealed until you're deep inside.

Money and power are the primary reasons for a con-artist and/or someone who is so dillusional to believe that he/she has a connection to some higher being and has obtained "sacred" knowledge etc. to establish a group and have followers.

People are often recruited by such groups when they are in a transition in their lives (e.g. new in town, break-up from a relationship, death in family or friends, etc.), since people are mentally and emotionally vulnerable during this period.

It is not clear to me why you are inquiring about this particular group. I certainy don't know your situation, but I'm going to assume that you're interested in joining this group. If that's the case, you may want to ask yourself why you are interested in this particular group as oppose to seeking support from family and/or friends to create a direction for yourself that may be more fruitful for you.

I apologize in advance, if my assumptions are off-base. I certainly don't wish to offend you in anyway.

Date: March 16, 2006 03:38PM

that I'm trying to pull my wife out of it :-(

any help ill be appretiated, I'm located in Israel, so I'm trying to find a "local rick ross", although it seems that the anti cult options are not popular here.

Posted by: nccg_concern ()
Date: March 17, 2006 12:17AM

bond_orange
that I'm trying to pull my wife out of it :-(

any help ill be appretiated, I'm located in Israel, so I'm trying to find a "local rick ross", although it seems that the anti cult options are not popular here.

These exit counselors (like Rick Ross) are known to be willing to take a ride on an airplane to wherever the job is, but yeah, it costs more to get the job done when someone has to fly halfway around the world.

Good luck in finding one locally but, if you don't, something like that could be an option.

Date: March 22, 2006 06:38PM

if there is such procedure/guidlines.

I have several freinds who would like to help, what we should do?

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: March 22, 2006 10:04PM

Posted by: spectrum ()
Date: March 23, 2006 07:36AM

My husband is in Turkey. :cry: I will ask him if he has heard anything about this woman. According the the cult website, they have a group in the town where my husband lives.

The cult experts tell me that if you think it is a cult, it is! I came out of a missionary organisation, which has cultic characteristics, and there was never any money involved as far as the missionaries were concerned. The money comes from supporters such as churches.

The money doesn't matter if you compare the organisation to Robert Lifton's criteria for mind control and groups. One source of the criteria is [www.freeminds.org]

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.