Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
What is the truth?
Posted by: letGodbetrue ()
Date: May 15, 2003 06:43AM

Obviously, your personal beliefs have a huge influence over the content here. People are just supposed to believe what you say, because you say it. Wow.

I didn't say that the Passover is a Christian holiday, I said it was related to the Christian faith.

You may be interested to know that there are Christian commentaries that address the OT (which would include the Passover) as well as the NT. As a matter of fact, almost all of them. I have several, as well as several systematic theologies.

Jews don't define Christmas or Easter because they reject Jesus;
Christians find special meaning and fulfillment in the Passover because of how the celebration was fulfilled in Christ. Obviously Jews will disagree.

If you feel like you are being preached to, well, don't make presumptions about my faith. I can back up what I say with the widely accepted work of Christian scholars. You're just offering your opinions.

Options: ReplyQuote
What is the truth?
Date: May 15, 2003 06:52AM

Sorry RMG, I doubt you know much about Christianity... You don't understand the fulfillment of the Passover in Christ. I'm not saying that you have to agree with it to understand it, but if you're trying to say that you know or understand Christianity... you haven't shown it here in your posts so far. Not that I know everything, but I know my Bible and Bible doctrines pretty good (Lord willing)

What is the truth?
Posted by: richardmgreen ()
Date: May 15, 2003 09:08PM

Originally posted by letGodbetrue
Sorry RMG, I doubt you know much about Christianity... You don't understand the fulfillment of the Passover in Christ. I'm not saying that you have to agree with it to understand it, but if you're trying to say that you know or understand Christianity... you haven't shown it here in your posts so far. Not that I know everything, but I know my Bible and Bible doctrines pretty good (Lord willing)

You dont' seem to understand something. I was involved with a Hebrew Xian congregation for 5 years. Probably a long time before you were even a twinkle in your father's eye. I read loads of tracts, went to many Bible studies, etc..
Also, there are many Xian denominations, so which version of Xianity don't you think I know about: Pentecostal, Methodist, Episcopalian, Catholic?
The Xian belief that Jesus fulfilled Judaism has never been accepted by the Jewish mainstream and as far as I can tell never will. Xianity as you know it is a much different religion than Judaism. Your claims are well known to Jewish anticult and antimissionary workers. I really don't focus on Xianity these days. The time for that was 25 to 30 years ago. I moved on.
The Passover story revolves around the concept of the Jews (or Israelites as you may prefer to call them) being liberated from slavery to live as free men in the land of Israel where they could focus on the study and worship of God. Pesach stands on its own 2 feet and doesn't need Jesus to "complete" it.

What is the truth?
Date: May 16, 2003 08:50AM

by the way, aba, we are about the same age. You are a couple of years older (apparently)

What is the truth?
Date: May 16, 2003 10:16AM

So anyhow, again, I realize and agree that Jews categorically deny that Jesus (the Jesus of the NT) is historically significant or has anything to do with their faith or traditions. Furthermore, I realize that He is not even a blip on their radar screen, they probably never really consider Him, thinking He was just some weird Jewish guy from a long time ago who a had a cult following.

The Exodus story is the story you are referring to, returning to the land promised their father Abraham 400+ years earlier. The Passover celebration itself is a celebration of their homes being passed over during the last plague. The night they were supposed to get ready to move out quickly: for example, no leaven (yeast) in the bread (takes time to rise) , and they were to eat the meal with their belt and sandals on (for traveling). And that is the way the meal is eaten today. (They at least talk about it, if they don't do everything exactly) I have participated in one seder.

What is the truth?
Date: May 16, 2003 10:20AM

Check Exodus 12:27, Moses told the people that when they got to the promised land, they would celebrate the Feast of Unleavened Bread, and when the kids asked why are we doing this?, they would answer, the Lord passed over...

Again, I agree with you that any orthodox, conservative Jewish person will agree that Jesus in no way has anything to do with their celebration of that historical event.

One thing I remember that really impacted me from my time I spent with the Jewish folks was their veneration for the Word of God. They noticed that some of the Christians had just casually set their Bibles on the carpet during or after the service. They chided us, saying, 'Is it the Word of God, or not? How can you just set it on the floor?' Very interesting.

I concede that most or all of what I know and believe of the Jewish faith I have studied from the conservative Christian point of view.

What is the truth?
Posted by: richardmgreen ()
Date: May 16, 2003 09:05PM

I concede that most or all of what I know and believe of the Jewish faith I have studied from the conservative Christian point of view. [/B]
And that's extremely obvious to me having over 30 years experience with missionaries. Jews For Judaism and a host of Jewish anti missionary sites have the orthodox Jewish point of view.

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.