Rabbi Nachman of Breslov on weightlifting
Posted by: richardmgreen ()
Date: February 16, 2006 03:06AM

This rabbi was a great grandson of the BESHT (the Baal Shem Tov) who was the founder of the Chasidic movement. He lived between 1772 and 1810 and had a fairly large following. Rabbi Shlomo Carlebach, Zt'l, used to teach from his master work "Likutei Mohoran" which emphasized serving G-d in joy. Shlomo tried to teach from a number of different dynasties before this rabbi but was unsuccessful in gaining the following he wanted.
Rabbi Nachman wrote a book called "The Tales of the 7 Beggars" which had a story in it called "The Master of Prayer". The story talked about how there were 7 mains paths in life, one true one (that of the "master of prayer" and six false ones, which included the path of the "bodybuilder".
While I was living at Moshav Modi'in, one of the moshavnicks in particular used to take exception to my weightlifting and the bench press and almost 1/4 ton of weights I had.
I corresponded with Breslov over in Israel and they explained that weightlifting per se isn't bad, it's when it gets to be too much like your religion or actually a substitute for religion that makes it bad.
I believe in a balance approach. The body as the temple of the soul. Judaism requires 3 worship services a day and I also engaged in physical culture. I think it made me a better person.

Options: ReplyQuote
Rabbi Nachman of Breslov on weightlifting
Posted by: richardmgreen ()
Date: February 16, 2006 03:47AM

Her husband actually wound up with about 100 lbs or my weights and the bench press when I left the moshav in '79.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.