Isn't being obsessed about cults a bit cultish in its nature?
Posted by: Questioning ()
Date: February 08, 2012 03:45AM

I would guess if this question is moderated off the board, that would answer my question about Rick Ross.

Mr. Ross turns up on every question about cults in every google search... there is expert and then there is obsessive and compulsive behavior to define others as cults.

So, what is the line that defines a cult?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Isn't being obsessed about cults a bit cultish in its nature?
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: February 08, 2012 04:03AM

Questioning:

You are probably just "trolling" through, but here goes.

I don't control Google search results.

My work does go back 30 years regarding cults and that work includes expert testimony concerning groups called "cults" in ten states, including US Federal Court.

See [www.culteducation.com]

Robert Jay Lifton, a psychiatrist who once taught at Harvard Medical School, wrote a concise definition based upon behavior not beliefs.

Lifton defined a cult as having the following three primary characteristics:

A charismatic leader, who increasingly becomes an object of worship as the general principles that may have originally sustained the group lose power.

A process [is in use] call[ed] coercive persuasion or thought reform.

Economic, sexual, and other exploitation of group members by the leader and the ruling coterie.

Also see [www.culteducation.com]

Ten common sense warning signs regarding a potentially unsafe group.

1. Absolute authoritarianism without meaningful accountability.

2. No tolerance for questions or critical inquiry.

3. No meaningful financial disclosure regarding budget, expenses such as an independently audited financial statement.

4. Unreasonable fear about the outside world, such as impending catastrophe, evil conspiracies and persecutions.

5. There is no legitimate reason to leave, former followers are always wrong in leaving, negative or even evil.

6. Former members often relate the same stories of abuse and reflect a similar pattern of grievances.

7. There are records, books, news articles, or television programs that document the abuses of the group/leader.

8. Followers feel they can never be "good enough".

9. The group/leader is always right.

10. The group/leader is the exclusive means of knowing "truth" or receiving validation, no other process of discovery is really acceptable or credible.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.