Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Some research help.
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: October 22, 2005 07:11AM

Gulab:

Are you discounting the information given by former cult members?

Information given by current cult members seems to be generally less reliable and objective.

Options: ReplyQuote
Some research help.
Posted by: Eric_le_roi ()
Date: October 22, 2005 07:20AM

I refer you to my answer to the moderators post above. As you can see I am reading both positive and negative accounts of people who have been involved with cults. "A Place Called Waco" is an account of the activities of the Branch Davidian from a member who is still sympathetic to that organisation.

To expect to get untainted, realistic or coherent information I think that I need to explore the experiences of people who can look at the subject objectively, to suggest that I might get that from people who are currently involved with a cult would seem a little naive to me.

Without giving too much away, as this is a public forum and I would hate to have my work stolen, I am writing my story from the persepctive of the cult member's family. The idea behind looking at information and stories from former cult members is for me to get an idea of how they were recruited, how they behaved and how they would have appeared to their family members and existing friends. I am not writing about the inward, emotional process that this woman goes through I am writing about the impact it has on those around her. Pieces like "Cults and Psychological Abuse" by James B. Endres (provided to me by a member of this forum) have proved to be invaluable.

I'm sorry, you think me incapable of writing this story and I hope that I can prove you wrong, but what ever the outcome I feel I would do myself and possible future readers a dis-service if I were not to research my subject thoroughly. I can see your point of view but for my purposes I think you are wrong.

Some research help.
Posted by: Toni ()
Date: October 22, 2005 07:30AM

IMHO (raised in a cult, w/ cult family.. bladdity blah... )

Being in a cult.... being brainwashed.... is a unique combination of the most incredible (false) sensation of high, security, group connection and special life calling.. along w/ total fear of leaving this secure group.. squelching inner questionings about the insanity that surrounds you, because you have nowhere else to turn. Everyone you know, all that you've learned in life is w/in the cult. The group is securely directed, yet somehow you cannot buy into totally. Yet you love the other people so much, seeing their noble intentions.

Leaving the group and family then, surviving the pain of rejection of all that you know and love, learning to stand totally ALONE ... well, THAT is another story.

Eric_le_roi, you have A LOT to learn.... without having the experience directly, or close in your own personal life, ... learning to write about being inside a pygymy tribe in Africa would easier than writing about the inside mind of a cult-member.

Some research help.
Date: October 22, 2005 08:00AM

Well, I'm certainly not going to join one, so I guess my writing will be totally unrealistic.

I suggest that you don't buy a copy as it will no doubt offend you.

Some research help.
Date: October 22, 2005 01:29PM

Check out :

"Brainwashing; The Science of Thought Control"
by Kathleen Taylor

Some research help.
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: October 22, 2005 08:42PM

A conscientious journalist and/or artist can give a convincing depiction of a situation without having personally participated.

Tolstoy himself did participate in any battles of the Napoleonic invasion of Russia, yet did a remarkable job evoking the entire period in
his novel, War and Peace.

The artist who designed the Vietnam Wall in Washington DC was not a combat veteran and had never lived in Vietnam, so there was some controversy when her design was selected.

Yet she created something that has earned the respect of the many veterans who have visited and continue to visit.

Some research help.
Date: October 22, 2005 11:18PM

My apologies for prior post sounding so gruff.

Of course, an author can research something and write wonderfully about it. That is why I've suggested (along w/ others' suggestions) resources to learn about the phenomenon. In reference to my statement about writing about pygmies' society - Others have written about pygmies, without being a pygymie, and quite well.

I was merely trying to state that the author has taken on a complex subject to write about, with a lot for him to learn. Just as Tolstoy studied his topic, as did, Shakespeare, Michener, Melville, and others.

This is a good place to begin learning about this mess.
Truly, I do hope that you succinctly capture the experience, and that your book sells well! Yes, I'd appreciate reading it. Clearly, others are interested in your task, that's why we've offered you references.

Again, sincere apologies for my curt language in trying to briefly explain the complexity of the inner exeperience. You've taken a challenging task upon yourself,... best of luck!

Some research help.
Posted by: Os Wilkes ()
Date: October 23, 2005 08:22AM

Eric_le_roi
Hi everyone,

I am currently living in LA, just about to move back to London. I am researching for a novel which involves a character who gets involved with a destructive cult and I am looking for some reading material which might help me understand the way in which someone might become involved in a cult. I was thinking along the lines of good biographies of cult survivours, but any other suggestions would be great.

I am also trying to read up in depth on how a person would go about helping someone to escape a cult.

I am writing a work of fiction here so I am trying to "create" my own cult and of course the characters will be fictional. I hope these are appropriate questions for this board and I look forward to chatting with you guys.

David.

What about

[www.cs.cmu.edu]

Here are more:

[www.cs.cmu.edu]

Love,

Os

Some research help.
Posted by: Os Wilkes ()
Date: October 23, 2005 08:26AM

Eric_le_roi
Well, I'm certainly not going to join one

LOL! Been there, done that, learnt MUCH. Anyhow, I forgot another one about Amway/Quixtar which is very surreal if you read it carefully:

[www.merchantsofdeception.com]

Love,

Os

Some research help.
Date: October 24, 2005 04:04AM

Thanks for these Os I will make my way through them.

Next you'll be telling me Avon is run by space aliens. lol

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.